What to do if you want to become a film composer

zephyr

I really want to become a composer in the future but I have no idea what to study or how to get started. I would also like to know if there are any places that I should go to that would give me a good chance at becoming one. If there are any composers here please share some tips. I would much appreciate it. FYI my favorite score is his harry potter score.

Listen to tons of music, anything you can get your hands on, find the score sheets, analyse them, write down notes if you find something interesting. That's always a good start, I think. Most music is based on certain patterns of rhythm, melody and harmonic development, so it's a good way to get used to those patterns, which would help in your own composotions.

I would suggest studying any and all scores remember don't try to be like one of your favorite composers cause you will never defeat them and you will fail. Study and create your own style. Only then will you become what you so much thrive to be. Also once you have your style and have practiced go out and find any gigs you can. FInd a great director you like and get along with you may have to start indie or lower like youtube just go out and be you!

10 hours ago, karelm said:

That is very interesting. I don't really know what career path I will choose but A) Just because I'm a film score fan, it's interesting to read about what really makes up the life of a film composer - aside from those idyllic scenes we get of modern John Williams who basically gets whatever major project he wants, doesn't have to do mock-ups, only has to score one film a year, etc. and B) It's a helpful reminder that ANY career, really (although ones where you have to get one-at-a-time "gigs" like film scoring or directing more so) making connections to get a job is just as important as being able to do the job well, and is an art of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Will said:

That is very interesting. I don't really know what career path I will choose but A) Just because I'm a film score fan, it's interesting to read about what really makes up the life of a film composer - aside from those idyllic scenes we get of modern John Williams who basically gets whatever major project he wants, doesn't have to do mock-ups, only has to score one film a year, etc. and B) It's a helpful reminder that ANY career, really (although ones where you have to get one-at-a-time "gigs" like film scoring or directing more so) making connections to get a job is just as important as being able to do the job well, and is an art of its own. 

Making connections is a "Major Key " :P 

1) Learn about the history and theory of, at least (but ideally not), Western art music from its beginnings to today.

2) Make sure you've done 1 very, very throughly. Respect the art, know what you're doing.

3) Study scores and transcribe. Also do not neglect the necessity of knowing and understanding the technology of modern music making.

4) Listen. At the same time, watch. Film composing is not just composing. It's film composing.

5) Write.

6) Make connections/market yourself. Implied in this is that you should be a balanced individual capable of normal conversation and interaction. No one is interested in the precious eccentric artiste.

You can accomplish all of this on your own, if you have the drive and natural spark. You can get a teacher. You can shoot for a place like UCLA or USC where you will be born into the right world, so to speak.

Good luck.

16 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

1) Learn about the history and theory of, at least (but ideally not), Western art music from its beginnings to today.

2) Make sure you've done 1 very, very throughly. Respect the art, know what you're doing.

3) then throw all of that out the window in order to be in demand for modern film scoring assignments and producers.