John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl - Sept. 1, 2 & 3, 2017

Ben Chisham

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But the prices will go down you say?

What a weird system!

Supply and demand. Stubhub and Ticketzoom are ticket re-sale sites. People list the tickets they already own for re-sale, at what ever price they choose. When there's a very limited supply people will list of outrageous prices. When more people list the pricing will come down. Some just list their tickets for a ridiculous price and if they don't sell go to the event. If they do sell they profit. 

The concerts were just announced 2 days ago. People with HB season subscriptions have already "bought" seats all over the place. Some do so simply to re-sell. Some can't/don't want to go to every concert so they sell them. This isn't an extension of Ticketmaster (though they do have their own re-sale section as well) and isn't unsold tickets up for sale by the HB or LAPhil. Also note that the listed prices will often NOT include the site's own processing fees and shipping/delivery options. But tickets can be had for as little as $45 USD + fees. 

The price you are willing to pay will depend on where you want to sit and what you can budget for. My 'face' prices for Garden box seats the past 2 concerts was $135 and $140 USD. I paid closer to $200 USD for each of them. All things considered, very VERY worth the price. Even if I then had to convert to CAD and last year is was utter shit. 

Use the links I posted so you can explore the street view of the venue. Read up on the types of seating at the Bowl as not every seat is an individual chair. This isn't a concert hall type venue nor a concert hall type performance. It's unique and what I can only compare to a Shakespeare in the Park type performance. 

For my money, it's worth every penny I can muster to see the man, no the myth, nah the LEGEND live.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to travel to LA for this weekend, hotels right around the Bowl have gotten ridiculous in price. I've stayed at a couple a mere 5 minute walk from the main sign on Highland Blvd. before because they were good decent options for the Hollywood area but in no way are they worth the $300+ per night (plus parking fees!!!) that they want now. Sucks because there's not a lot close-ish by to anything. But you can stay a few minutes walk from Disneyland for $100-ish/night. But note the Bowl is at leat an hour's drive from Disneyland. 

Just received a response to me email query:

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for contacting the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Single date tickets for the 2017 Hollywood Bowl Summer season will go on sale Sunday, May 7th at 10am. You will be able to purchase online at www.HollywoodBowl.com, in person at the Hollywood Bowl box office, or by calling Audience Services at 323.850.2000.

If you see 5 performances you would like to attend you can purchase a 5 or More ticket package on March 14th. The 5 or More package allows you to purchase tickets ahead of the May 7th date, just select a minimum of 5 concerts.

Planning on coming with a group of 10 or more? Then you can place an order with our group sales department beginning February 21st by calling 323.850.2050.

Thank you for your interest in the Hollywood Bowl.

Juliana

I have been lucky enough to attend this concert almost every single year since moving to Los Angeles and it remains a highlight. Anytime that I start to think about how much I hate LA, I remember "Oh....but John WIlliams will be at The Bowl" and the storm surrenders for a while. 

An absolute MUST if you are even a casual fan, and you can find pretty reasonable tickets if you don't mind sitting in the bleachers. On the plus side, The Hollywood Bowl allows concertgoers to bring their own picnic which can save you money at the concessions. 

Picnic? So its like Tanglewood?

Hmmmm....

What's with the American obsession of eating while you are watching a concert or film? Even Symphony Hall in Boston turns itself into a dining room for the Pops season. When I went to see a movie in Maine, you could order burgers while the film was running!

Glad to find this thread. I've known about John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl for years and as it being one of those memorable must do experiences.

So I am happy to find out he will be performing on one of the days I will be visiting LA from down under so of course I am planning to go.. Reading this stuff about being able to get resale tickets now or wait till May 7th for public release I am just a little worried that there could be a fight to get tickets this time?

I would be logging on at the right time to try to buy them but in the past has it been a mad rush to get tickets like do they sell out in minutes? I really don't want to miss this event its a once in a lifetime for me really being from Australia.. so weighing up whether I buy on vivid seats now or wait to get them for the regular price?

Does anyone know what price ranges they would be on sale for for public sale based on previous years? Thanks

There won't be any "fight" to get tickets. The general release tickets tht will go live on Ticketmaster on May 7th are going to be few and nothing special. The Bowl sells tickets primarily on season memberships. I waited to see what the general release tickets would be like last year and there was nothing of actual interest. Mainly just "leftovers".

The general sale ticket prices are likely going to be the cheapest, but they will also come with their own Ticketmaster fees tacked on. Buying from a re-sell site is going to give you more selection but also higher prices. And tickets will show up at different times. Last year tickets were being posted right up until the day before the concerts.  Also, the Sunday performance will likely have the best "deals" as it's an extra concert and not usually apart of the usual season subscriptions. 

The face value of tickets will range from around $45 USD to $300 USD. 

Thanks that makes my decision easier then.. I will look to getting tickets through an resale agent then

In my mind I think I would be more than happy to get a seat at the back, I don't need to see everything as much as just really be able to hear it

Ta

Search YouTube for videos from previous concerts. There are tons of them and will give you an idea of what seating can be like. 

Your best bet for tickets is to shop all options. Last year I waited for the general release and was underwhelmed but still waited over a month before I bought the seats I did. I got far more bang for my buck by doing that. Unless you need to have tickets NOW there's no massive rush. Prices at the moment are people trying to make a profit, not just people selling seats they won't otherwise use. Supply and demand will very much affect price.

I can only say I've sat in Garden boxes, row 6 then row 3, and I'm VERY happy to sit there again. If the price is right. This year my options will be more limited as my travel plans aren't based on this concert. Still hoping for the best.

I may have a huge problem if anyone can help?

I am looking at getting tickets from the likes of stubhub, vividseats etc.. one website bowl-ca.com claims the tickets won't be shipped until around 26th Aug for a concert on the 1st of Sept!!

This is a deal breaker for me as I am coming from Australia to the US on that date so I would need to get the tickets in my hand before I leave and it seems most of these sites are US based so I have to pay huge fees and have delays to get the tickets..

So... can anyone please help, are there re-sale sites where I can get electronic ticket for this event? Obviously I cannot wait until end of August to get physical tickets shipped and I would rather get e-tickets and save on postage fees

And why would the tickets not be shipped until days before the concert? Surely Hollywood Bowl would be able to issue the tickets a longer time before the show date?

Ok thanks!https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiSmYipsa_SAhWKK70KHfK8B6wYABAHGgJ0aA&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAESIeD2FGc5SBl6MvL9MhqkNj1PwGnDMNj88288BFql7VRuKg&sig=AOD64_3HG9MyykxVT_XLrimkCrOTrisDLg&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjT8ICpsa_SAhXIVLwKHSc0Be8Q0QwINA&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiSmYipsa_SAhWKK70KHfK8B6wYABAHGgJ0aA&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAESIeD2FGc5SBl6MvL9MhqkNj1PwGnDMNj88288BFql7VRuKg&sig=AOD64_3HG9MyykxVT_XLrimkCrOTrisDLg&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjT8ICpsa_SAhXIVLwKHSc0Be8Q0QwINA&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiSmYipsa_SAhWKK70KHfK8B6wYABAHGgJ0aA&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAESIeD2FGc5SBl6MvL9MhqkNj1PwGnDMNj88288BFql7VRuKg&sig=AOD64_3HG9MyykxVT_XLrimkCrOTrisDLg&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjT8ICpsa_SAhXIVLwKHSc0Be8Q0QwINA&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiSmYipsa_SAhWKK70KHfK8B6wYABAHGgJ0aA&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAESIeD2FGc5SBl6MvL9MhqkNj1PwGnDMNj88288BFql7VRuKg&sig=AOD64_3HG9MyykxVT_XLrimkCrOTrisDLg&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjT8ICpsa_SAhXIVLwKHSc0Be8Q0QwINA&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiSmYipsa_SAhWKK70KHfK8B6wYABAHGgJ0aA&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAESIeD2FGc5SBl6MvL9MhqkNj1PwGnDMNj88288BFql7VRuKg&sig=AOD64_3HG9MyykxVT_XLrimkCrOTrisDLg&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjT8ICpsa_SAhXIVLwKHSc0Be8Q0QwINA&adurl=

I encountered the same thing buying tickets to the Australian Open from a US ticketing site. I contacted them and they told me the tickets would be sent earlier, and it turned out the electronic tickets in PDF format were all I needed anyway. It might be worthwhile getting in touch as they've probably encountered this issue many times before.

Thanks

Well this is crap both stubhub and vividseats say tickets are physical tickets for all the seats and not emailed until after Aug 26th

So this means I cannot purchase this way how dumb! I can't believe the sellers wont get the tickets until this date and its pretty bad reselling tickets so far out when you cant get the tickets in the hand until 6 months after...

hope someone else has other ideas?? Maybe I can just wait to buy direct and get a e-ticket.. surely someone would have e-tickets who bought from their subscription?

Edit: I did find one site ticket liquidator which has an option to see e-tickets or physical tickets but when I click this only tickets from $199 show up so I hope if I wait more e tickets will become available, I wish stubhub and others had the option to show e-tickets or physical before you have to select them, it doesn't show delivery method until you select one

17 hours ago, pete said:

How about getting the tickets delivered to your hotel in LA?

Yes thanks I have thought of that as an option but as a last resort. It's just some motel we are staying in and may not care to go to the trouble of letting me do that.

I am going to wait to see if any cheaper e-tickets become available or just buy public sale. At this stage I do not care where we sit as long as we are there. Vivid Seats did say it could be the postage date is unknown because it is so far in the future and so they just set it to 5 days before by default

Still cant work out why all the sites say the seller has indicated they wont get the tickets until 5 days before the concert? Is this usual practice with Hollywood Bowl? Surely they can release the tickets months before? Maybe they are all saying this date to cover themselves as they have not been provided a date by HB yet? And in a few months they might get the tickets then and update the ship date?

UPDATE:: So I have heard back from the Hollywood Bowl and they say subscription tickets bought cannot be emailed only posted.. So this is why the likes of stubhub etc all say UPS only and I am very dubious of this ticket liquidator site that claims to have tickets for sale which can be emailed..

They also said subscription tickets are sent out mid may so maybe by this time, the ticket resell sites will be updated to show the tickets can be posted out immediately? Maybe a lot of people haven't put up their tickets for sale until they get them in their hand?

So I guess I need to wait and maybe try to get public sale tickets as the websites want to charge like $40 for postage and the public sale tickets can be emailed so much better.. This is a weird setup I imagine anyone wanting to buy tickets to one performance int he summer go through the same dilemma not just John Williams. Is a strange way to do things.. If you want to give subscribers early access fine.. but why not just give them early access for like a week as a presale and then open them up to the public.. not 3 or 4 months later..

• 3 weeks later...

Got my tickets this morning! Had to do 5 or more to get them but I don't mind even though I wont be in LA to attend the other concerts. I'll sell those tickets or donate them. Quite an expensive way to get tickets for one show I know but can't take any chances with single event sales in May. First time I'm going to LA who knows when I'll be be back again and I can't miss out on see JW. Got section F2 so pretty happy 

It's very reasonable to be concerned about the ticket shipping dates listed howeve you should also note that these are estimates and in general they base their estimate on XX days prior to the event. Many people listing on these re-sale sites don't yet have their copies of the physical tickets. The past 2 events I've purchased I had zero issues getting the tickets delivered outside the US in plenty of time to leave for my trip. Yes, instant download tickets (which again may not yet be available because the people who purchased them in the first place don't yet have them in their account) is the safest bet but I ALWAYS prefer to have the proper physical ticket when possible.

Last year I didn't buy my tickets until late June. The previous year I went I didn't purchase my ticket until August. Both arrived in plenty of time. I'd not worry greatly over the "mail by" date" unless you plan to leave home before that. 

Yeah thanks I understand. HB have told me themselves that tickets arent posted out until June so even though the ticket resell sites said they wont be posted until 2 days before I know they will probably be posted when the sellers get them in June. 

Anyway I've already got my tickets from 5 or more so I am happy. I like to plan ahead lol so I am happy knowing I am set

• 1 month later...

So will ticket prices go down or up once the Hollywood Bowl starts putting them on sale on May 7? I can get decent seats via Stubhub now for around $125-150, will I be able to get better ones for around that price after May 7?

• 2 weeks later...

The reply i received from Hollywood Bowl regarding when single tickets will go on sale for the general public stated that tickets go on sale on the 6th? though it seems a few people have said the 7th here?

Does anybody know the correct date?

"Thank you for contacting the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Single date tickets for the 2017 Hollywood Bowl Summer season will go on sale Saturday, May 6th at 10am. You will be able to purchase online at www.HollywoodBowl.com, in person at the Hollywood Bowl box office, or by calling Audience Services at 323.850.2000.

If you see 5 performances you would like to attend you can purchase a 5 or More ticket package on March 14th. The 5 or More package allows you to purchase tickets ahead of the May 6th date, just select a minimum of 5 concerts.

Planning on coming with a group of 10 or more? Then you can place an order with our group sales department by calling 323.850.2050 Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Juliana"

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 02.39.34.png

I wonder what hints Williams will drop about The Last Jedi during these performances, considering he'll have finished his work on the film by September?

You'd have to think at least two of Jedi Steps & Finale/Rey's Theme/Scherzo for X-Wings/March of the Resistance will get a run in the schedule and he usually gives those little anecdotes between selections.

7 hours ago, GRIGA01 said:

The reply i received from Hollywood Bowl regarding when single tickets will go on sale for the general public stated that tickets go on sale on the 6th? though it seems a few people have said the 7th here?

Does anybody know the correct date?

"Thank you for contacting the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Single date tickets for the 2017 Hollywood Bowl Summer season will go on sale Saturday, May 6th at 10am. You will be able to purchase online at www.HollywoodBowl.com, in person at the Hollywood Bowl box office, or by calling Audience Services at 323.850.2000.

If you see 5 performances you would like to attend you can purchase a 5 or More ticket package on March 14th. The 5 or More package allows you to purchase tickets ahead of the May 6th date, just select a minimum of 5 concerts.

Planning on coming with a group of 10 or more? Then you can place an order with our group sales department by calling 323.850.2050 Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Juliana"

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 02.39.34.png

Wow really?

They must have moved the date forward since I emailed them in February. Thanks for the heads up.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Got my ticket. 

John Williams: Maestro of Movies at Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, CA
Fri, 09/01/2017, 8:00 p.m. PDT

Promenade II G 2 | 1 ticket

Row 9 | Seat 999

This will be my view!

Bowl view.PNG

Wow this is freaky, I literally bought a seat just a few seats down from you lol, though I found a great seat in section D so now I'm going to sell it on stubhub. Happy to see u managed to get one mate.

If finances allow I might upgrade and try and flog this ticket. But even if I don't it's fine. I've seen John from pretty close in Boston. And stood face to face with him. I never expected that that would happen in The Bowl.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Im wondering if anybody has received their tickets for the Hollywood Bowl concert on Sunday September 3rd. I'm coming over from the UK and am worried my tickets won't arrive in time. 

Cheers  

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder what anecdotes we'll hear about The Last Jedi this time?

"When Kathy Kennedy asked me if I wanted to do it, I said yes because I didn't want anyone else writing music for Daisy"

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"When Kathy Kennedy asked me if I wanted to do it, I said yes because I didn't want anyone else writing music for Daisy"

Well, with anecdotes that fresh, let's hope he does the double with a suite from Schindler's List!

6 hours ago, Ben Chisham said:

Hi everyone,

Im wondering if anybody has received their tickets for the Hollywood Bowl concert on Sunday September 3rd. I'm coming over from the UK and am worried my tickets won't arrive in time. 

Cheers  

Which site?

Your best bet is to contact the site directly. Last year my tickets from TicketZoom arrived about 2 weeks out. My Stubhub tickets were about the same. But contact the site and discuss with them as unfortunately no one on this board can really do anything else to help you out. 

On 8/8/2017 at 6:42 AM, crumbs said:

He'll mention "what's with the incestuous love affairs in the star wars saga?  First Luke and Leia as a love theme and now the new Rey and Luke love theme even though she's his daughter.  Oh, wait, I wasn't supposed to leak that.  Forget what I said."

On 08/08/2017 at 11:40 AM, Ben Chisham said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers  

I have received my tickets today. Thank you for your help everybody. 😄

On 8/8/2017 at 2:42 PM, crumbs said:

Rian showed me this film and after watching it I went for a walk. When I came back I told him he needed a better composer to score this film and Rian looked me (tearfully) in the eye and said "yes but they're all dead". 

I wonder what his pre-episode IX anecdote will be?

"I finished watching the film with our director, Colin Trevorrow, and asked if I could go for a walk to gather my thoughts. I immediately went to my office and rang Kathy Kennedy and the producers at Disney to tell her, "You need a better director to finish this movie." To which Kathy replied, "I know, John, but they cost too much."

7 hours ago, JDSollie said:

Has the setlist been announced? Or is that only revealed with Friday's performance? Haven't found it anywhere.

If I remember correctly, we didn't know last year's program ahead of time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not revealed until Friday's performance.