John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl - Sept. 1, 2 & 3, 2017

Ben Chisham

4 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I can't make it through these videos with all the obnoxious cheering and clapping to hear an added chord. It's like torture.

Hey, it's Han Solo! I better holler and yell!

Look, now it's Leia! I better yell loudly over the orchestra!

So obnoxious.

Is that piano I'm hearing a lot of in Dear Basketball? Hadn't noticed it in the original mix! Good recording, although unfortunately they didn't play the credits, the one part we're still missing, deciding to end with a big crescendo instead. 

Rey's Theme sounds really great as well. Nice catch @crumbs with that extra chord. I legitimately wonder if Williams added it because he thought it would stave off some of the premature clapping over the final celesta notes. 

Weirdly, he even included The Chamber of Secrets in this concert. That one is notorious for premature clapping at the end. In fact, it seems to have been revised to rush through the ending to counteract this. He must really like it.

There's been a notable increase in his performances of Potter music, and not just the staples from HP1. COS and POA now being represented in successive concerts.

I wonder if the Potter scores are fresh in his mind for some reason.... :)

"Dear Basketball" is so good.  I have zero built-in admiration for Kobe Bryant, but I find this short incredibly moving.  Hats off to Keane and Williams, absolute masters of their craft at their heights of their respective powers.  I really wish Keith Lockhart could have managed to include this on "Lights...Camera...Music!" somehow.

8 hours ago, igger6 said:

"Dear Basketball" is so good.  I have zero built-in admiration for Kobe Bryant, but I find this short incredibly moving.  Hats off to Keane and Williams, absolute masters of their craft at their heights of their respective powers.  I really wish Keith Lockhart could have managed to include this on "Lights...Camera...Music!" somehow.

I think the chances of getting a clean recording with no narration are slim to none because I don't see it being performed without the movie

Cue Williams/Daisy slash fiction.

I think I'll next regenerate into Hollywood Bowl Williams Concert Attendee and limit my posts to strictly clapping emoticons and gifs and "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

18 hours ago, BTR1701 said:

Got this nice little poster on the way out last night as a souvenir.

Snapz Pro X019.jpg

Very nice! Bit of a missed opportunity though to not have the shark's mouth be the Hollywood Bowl itself.  Could have drawn in little orchestra players or something. I dunno. Cool poster, though. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Somebody on Reddit found Daisy at the Bowl:

It warms me heart to see so many cast members from these new Star Wars films visiting Williams during recording sessions and outside performances and seemingly being appreciative of his music. I guess recording these scores in the U.S. allows for these cast visits now, and is why we didn't see them during the prequel scores, at least not to my knowledge. 

51 minutes ago, Will said:

I thought I was Kobe. 

You gave yourself away with your epic musings about tricking yourself.  I know Kobe would never question why he does or doesn't like a piece of music.  He knows it in his blood....boal

Am I supposed to know who that is?

I find it weird that Spielberg, Lucas, Abrams and other big JW fans/collaborators are never sighted at these events. Do they secretly hate JW?! I NEED ANSWERS!

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Jeri Ryan was at this concert.

She's been at several. She and her kids sat in the box next to us two years ago.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Am I supposed to know who that is?

I find it weird that Spielberg, Lucas, Abrams and other big JW fans/collaborators are never sighted at these events. Do they secretly hate JW?! I NEED ANSWERS!

Or are they, like me, just not overly interested in listening to virtually the same stuff for the 5.000st time? 

• 1 month later...

Brief mention of the Bowl concert from this profile on Daisy Ridley

The last time I speak to Ridley, she’s calling from a car on her way back to the Canadian wilderness. She and her friend Flora Moody had taken a break from filming Chaos Walking and gone to hear Star Wars composer John Williams perform at the Hollywood Bowl. “They did my theme,” Ridley says, meaning “Rey’s Theme” from The Force Awakens, “and I couldn’t believe it. It was very overwhelming. There was an older woman behind us and she was like, ‘Why are people mobbing you?’