James Newton Howard's A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series with additional music by Chris Bacon & Sven Faulconer)

Not Mr. Big

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yea the score was nice in the show and I'd love to be able to listen to it outside of it; I haven't heard of anything being released, or leaking, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s a Sonnenfeld production so I assumed Bacon and the other composer were there just because of Howard. He probably wasn’t very interested to begin with so didn’t want to continue and thus they went away with him. Dooley worked with Sonnenfeld on Pushing Daisies so it makes sense. 

I was hoping one of the Baudelaire's themes would return from the first season, but I guess they're just throwing continuity out the window...

Watched the second season entirely yesterday. Really fun, captures the dark humorous tone of the books quite well. It was especially great to see The Carnivorous Carnival adapted.

As for the music, I quite liked what I heard, sounded dark and whimsical. I wouldn't mind listening to it on its own 

Haven't started season 2 yet, but am looking forward to it.

Glad to hear the score is still good even if it's by different people now.

Dooley is a really underrated composer. Weren’t you a big fan of Pushing Daisies back in the day?

On 3/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, Richard Penna said:

Why assume that he wasn't interested? He's just had a new score out, and has that Nutcracker thing soon - might just be scheduling.

Your assumption is as valid as mine. I just figured that if he cared enough he would have scored all the episodes and that an album would have been produced. Just my speculation. 

True, and it is slightly odd to have no music release.

Although I realised that the entire season 2 is on netflix (I've watched the first two episodes so far). I hadn't realised the whole lot went on at once, which means all of the scoring must've been completed recently. That makes it feels like a scheduling thing to me.

If he didn't do the main theme, and only scored a handful of episodes, I wonder why he bothered doing it in the first place, when Bacon could've done the whole thing? (He managed Bates Motel on his own)

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Dooley is a really underrated composer. Weren’t you a big fan of Pushing Daisies back in the day?

Yea it's a good show, watched it through twice; I don't recall one thing about its original score. 

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Dooley is a really underrated composer.

I think in this case it's not really underrated - just unknown. I've never knowingly heard a note of his music, outside of anything he may have written on a Zimmer score.

So far...the score for Season 1 was far far superior. I connected to recurring themes and ideas pretty quickly, but here...nothing. The style is pretty much the same, but nothing is standing out really.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

That reminds me that I never watched season 2!

I think it's much better than Season 1. There's some REALLY good moments in Season 2.

I had issues with Season 1. I still liked it and enjoyed it, but I feel like the first three books were just far too short to work in two 45-minute episodes each. I will admit they made Reptile Room even better than the book I think. Plus, unlike a LOT of Snicket fans I absolutely adored the movie and found it difficult to not think about how much better I thought the movie did certain things during the first 6 episode, including the score. Thomas Newman's score for the film is wonderful.

Anyways, I think the show really started to find it's footing in the last 2 episodes of Season 1. Luckily, this means that Season 2 is basically very well-paced the whole time. In short, I recommend it!

Yea I wanted to watch it, but my wife had given up mid-way through season 1, so I had to find solo free time to watch it, which is hard to find these days as I spent most of it working on HP this year

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I wanted to watch it, but my wife had given up mid-way through season 1, so I had to find solo free time to watch it, which is hard to find these days as I spent most of it working on HP this year

That's unfortunate. I have a couple shows I have to do that with. Luckily I have far more free time than you. Lol. 

I only have time on the weekends to watch those kinds of things alone (My partner works weekends). So, I have had to essentially wait a week between catching up on shows though. It's nice though! It's like the days before binge watching.

• 1 month later...

I just finished season 3 which was okay, but nothing particularly special.

The score totally blended into the background for me - I noticed it now and again, but there were no points at all where I thought I'd like to hear it standalone. I didn't even bother looking up who scored it.

The effects also seemed very ropey for such a major show - mostly the green screen. It''s possible it looked intentionally 'off' because the show is very strange.

I think season 3 definitely attempts to find a way to wrap up this crazy story, and is one of the more entertaining seasons of the three, however, I found myself kinda deflated by the ending and how it all wraps up. So much was building and building and new villains introduced and subplots that it felt like they were rushing to get the story done this season instead of devoting time to the later episodes which is where I think they really needed to flesh things out.

I'd say, overall it's a good watch, but I would've liked to have seen the tone a closer match to the books and the 2004 film which found a perfect balance between the dark humor and the seriousness of the Baudelaire's plight.

Don't skip it, but don't get your expectations up either.

Oddly, given the 'unfortunate' tone of the show, I was rather surprised when

everything actually worked out pretty well. The orphans make it off the island to live their lives and Olaf is dead. All that emphasis that this is a story that doesn't end well, when it sort of does...

At least we find out what the sugar bowl storyline was about. Just a shame that as Arpy said, it feels like it's building and then gets rushed a bit.

• 1 month later...

I’m watching this Season 3 now. The score sounds as if it was performed on synths, especially the brass. Does anyone know anything about the scoring sessions?

It never really sounded like they'd got an orchestra in. Shame that there seems to be no interest in a score release. I noticed the music a few times in season 1 at least. Unfortunately I don't think I once noticed anything musically interesting in season 3 (ans for a soundtrack fan, that's bad).

I guess with this type of show and score it can come down to whether the composer cares about releasing it. I don't even know who composed the last season...

Yeah the music was the only thing that was really a step down for the show, apart from some weaker visuals in comparison to the film at times. I also think I liked the film versions of Monty and Josaphine, too. Otherwise, both Carey's and Harris's Olafs were great. I honestly think they tie in performance; and I think Carey could have carried his take just as well if he had been allowed to in future films. I LOVE how this show turned out, and yet I still really enjoy the film version.

I love the film, and this version I think conveys some of the whimsy of the books, but none of the dark severity that came with Silberling's version. 

I had hoped they would make a sequel to the film, but as it stands, it's a good standalone/self-contained story.

@scallenger I agree on the points of Josephine and Monty - there's a certain warmth that their characters have that was eschewed in favor of comedic antics. Aunt Josephine was almost a joke in the show!