FILM : Silence (2017)

Melange

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Don't worry about your friend; his responses, and reactions, are his responsibility, and not yours.

Indeed. I mention it only that some understanding of the various beliefs, east and far east, can help with the viewing. 

Sounds interesting. Doubt I'll ever end up seeing it, though. Maybe if my parents end up wanting to see it when it comes out on home video. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Any offensive cultural appropriation?

One of the main characters finds himself absolutely obsessed over by the prettiest local girl, and after two hours of Katana lessons with a practice stick, he single handedly manages to massacre a horde of 100 veteran Samurai warriors who took exception to him bedding the most beautiful girl in the village.

Subsequently he settles down, creates his own feifdom of western values in the country, along the way producing (with the prettiest of local girls) a substantial brood of very handsome and intelligent mixed race children who then grow up to become rulers of the otherwise ignorant savages, for generations to come.

Ultimately, his seemingly arrogant entrance brings Japan out of an age of darkness and into the light.

Other than that, no not really. 

You mentioned that the trailer may give the wrong impression ... have read a review that said whoever made it deserves an award for making the film look like it isn't slow, dull, overlong and repetitive. 

I don't think I'll bother. 

Repetitive, well yes that charge does have some validity in regard to earlier parts of the film I would say.

I can recall lots of very close up shots of pleading eyes and hands grasped together in brother / sisterhood, and this went on a lot. 

It is for this reason that the movie will probably be a very profound experience for observant Christians, and perhaps less so for others. 

The same goes for the internal dialogue of one of the characters. Observant Christians will identify strongly with his doubts / fears, during that. 

• 3 months later...

Just caught this and I'm still digesting my thoughts. I'm not religious in the slightest but thought the film did a great job portraying both sides of the equation in regards to the Padre's mission. Yes, the Japanese are essentially the "villains," but you understand where they're coming from (even if their methods are barbaric). Their society is presented as peaceful and harmonious, where those with power view the teachings of Christianity as threatening to their way of life and culture. I'm no historical scholar on this one, so I'll take the film at face value.

I'm still grasping what message Scorsese was conveying. I'm not certain the film was all that pro-religion by the end; it paints a fairly arrogant position on the part of our lead character, even if you feel tremendous sympathy for the choices he has to make.

Solid viewing though and very thought-provoking, highly recommended if you're in that mood.

I loved this film and found it very moving.  The portrayals are excellent and the actors truly embodied their characters.  It is emotionally exhausting and it doesn't matter what your religious views are if you consider it about someone having a devout belief in their faith and how doubt creeps in when your faith causes innocent people to suffer.  Really excellent film.

I found this film to be beautiful and moving. I don't quite get the hate for it...it's the kind of film Hollywood used to make but mostly doesn't have the courage to anymore. Only a director of Scorsese's stature could push something like this through.

That's to say, it's not perfect. It's got some issues, and it's not as "epic" as I thought it might be. But that aside, I found its thoughtfulness and pace refreshing.

And for those who didn't like it, no worries, there's a new Transformers movie right around the corner, which is more suitable to your plebeian tastes.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Nick1066, you're worth better than that! I know you are!

No I'm not!  I hold my superior, refined and discerning taste in movies over all to love and despair!!!!

And BTW, where's your ROTK review?

• 1 month later...