How do you like "How to Steal a Million"?

Josh500

How do you like "How to Steal a Million"?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the score to "How to Steal a Million"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know this score.

Absolutely!

The film is quite decent for what it is -- Williams' first A list feature. I actually saw this for the first time LONG before I had even heard of John Williams, way back in the mid 80s on Norwegian telly.

The music is wonderful -- lots of "French" boulevarde pastiche befitting the locale, elegant themes and the very Manciniesque/"Moon River"-like song "Nicole" (must be a Audrey Hepburn connection).

There are other jazzy comedy scores and albums I prefer over this, but IMO it's a Williams 60s must-have. Was it the 2CD release you found or the original LP album?

it's solid. It's one of the few 60s Williams scores I've held on to. In fact, going through my collection in release order, it's the first film after Lost in Space.

I liked the movie. Haven't seen it in years, but you can't go wrong with Audrey. I remember a really nice unreleased cue when they kiss late in the movie.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Was it the 2CD release you found or the original LP album?

No, the OS album on CD, rather than the expanded edition. That's why I didn't buy it right away.

But I think I'm gonna get this. Sounds good!

Yeah, as a general rule I wasn't a big fan of the very early JW scores, say the pre-Jaws ones. I even used to collect JW albums only from 1974. 

But times have changed. Now I'm collecting them all, if only for completeness sake. I have everything from 1974 onward, but many are still missing from the 60s and early 70s, among them this one, Paper Chase, Poseidon Adventure, Cinderella Liberty etc.

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, as a general rule I wasn't a big fan of the very early JW scores, say the pre-Jaws ones. I even used to collect JW albums only from 1974. 

But times have changed. Now I'm collecting them all, if only for completeness sake. I have everything from 1974 onward, but many are still missing from the 60s and early 70s, among them this one, Paper Chase, Poseidon Adventure, Cinderella Liberty etc.

I hope, for your sake, you have Images! :lol:

12 hours ago, Josh500 said:

No, the OS album on CD, rather than the expanded edition. That's why I didn't buy it right away.

But I think I'm gonna get this. Sounds good!

I was not aware that the OST had a previous CD release. I thought the Intrada 2CD was the first on that particular format. Are you sure it's not a bootleg?

Definitely the upper tier of Johnny's 1960's comedy scores, perhaps even the best of the lot.

If I remember correctly the OST programme was only ever released on CD prior to Intrada by Tsunami which I believe is a bootleg.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was not aware that the OST had a previous CD release. I thought the Intrada 2CD was the first on that particular format. Are you sure it's not a bootleg?

Not 100% sure, but I believe it was an official version. It was a German version, on the cover it says, "Wie klaut man eine Million?"

This: 

images (4).jpg

13 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Should I get it? 

To qoute Captain Sulu:

"are you kidding"? :blink:

JW's 60s scores are influential, as they laid the foundation for what was to come. Listen the THE PROWLER, and MARCH TO THE MUSEUM, and you'll hear musical ideas and phrases that he was to develop on scores such as JAWS and STAR WARS. Make no mistake, Josh; to a JW fan, these scores are very important!

What you have is an official release (in stereo, mind) and not a boot.

$10? Buy it now!

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Not 100% sure, but I believe it was an official version. It was a German version, on the cover it says, "Wie klaut man eine Million?"

This: 

images (4).jpg

Tsunami is generally considered a bootleg label. Just FYI.

There's no "considering"....

It's either a bootleg or not. I'm just gonna assume it's not.

By the way, in the same CD store I also saw (wait for it!) Hook from Concorde. :D Now I know that IS a bootleg. Sold for 20 bucks. I'm a JW completist when it comes to post-Jaws, but I'm probably gonna pass on that. Or what do you guys think?? :P

1 hour ago, Richard said:

To qoute Captain Sulu:

"are you kidding"? :blink:

JW's 60s scores are influential, as they laid the foundation for what was to come. Listen the THE PROWLER, and MARCH TO THE MUSEUM, and you'll hear musical ideas and phrases that he was to develop on scores such as JAWS and STAR WARS. Make no mistake, Josh; to a JW fan, these scores are very important!

What you have is an official release (in stereo, mind) and not a boot.

$10? Buy it now!

You're right, for 10 bucks it's a no-brainer. Just wanted to hear opinions on this is all. 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

By the way, in the same CD store I also saw (wait for it!) Hook from Concorde. :D Now I know that IS a bootleg. Sold for 20 bucks. I'm a JW completist when it comes to post-Jaws, but I'm probably gonna pass on that. Or what do you guys think?? :P

No reason to buy that. 

That one is on my wishlist, unfortunately it's currently out of print.

p_tfm4183.jpg

How To Steal A Million [Original Motion Picture Score] (1966, 20th Century Fox Records, TFM 4183, Re-recording)

Main Title; Two Lovers Theme; Simon Says; Fan Fare And March To The Museum; Nicole; The Can Can; Two Lovers (Lyrics By – Leslie Bricusse); The Key; The Cellini Venus; At Maxims; The Prowler; End Title.

p_s4183.jpg

(Released in 1966, 20th Century Fox Records, S 418

p_isc83.jpg

p_isc83b.jpg

How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat (1966/1962) (2008, Intrada Special Collection, ISC 83)

CD 1 - HOW TO STEAL A MILLION, THE ORIGINAL 1966 ALBUM RE-RECORDING: Main Title; Two Lovers Theme; Simon Says; Fanfare and March to the Museum; Nicole; The Can Can; Two Lovers; The Key; The Cellini Venus; At Maxim's; The Prowler; End Title; CD 2 - HOW TO STEAL A MILLION, THE FILM RECORDINGS: Main Title; The Cellini Venus and Museum Fanfare; The Prowler; At Gun Point / Hark, a Pistol Shot; Simon Cons Nicole; The Spell; He Suspects Something / Nicole at the Ritz Bar; Normal Human Reactions; Locked In; The Key; The Phone Call; Hang on to Your Bucket; The True Gallic Character / The Can Can / In the Guards Room; End Title / End Cast; BACHELOR FLAT: Reggie in the Colonies; Main Title; Professor's Pad / Libby Comes Home; Mama in Paris; Transistor Radio; Home Cookin'; Libby Da Lip / Bra and Panties; Poor Mike / Short Trip; Artificial Respiration; Mambone; Effects of Alcohol; Galloping Gladys; End Cast; Trailer. Previously unreleased original scores.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

There's no "considering"....

It's either a bootleg or not. I'm just gonna assume it's not.

No, not quite. German copyright rules are a bit different than the US rules, so that has caused some confusion regarding certain releases and labels since the 90s (Label X, which released HEIDI, is another such label). If you mention Tsunami releases on FSM, the thread is deleted or locked due to their rules about not discussing bootleg releases. Check out these discussions from a few years ago (Americans tend to think they are, Europeans tend not to):

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/forum/displayquestion.php?topicid=5012

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=15111&forumID=7&archive=1

As Star Wars is a five stars (an example of the best he did) and Heartbeeps is one star (an example of the worse he did, according to me)... Million surely deserve 3 stars.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

No, not quite. German copyright rules are a bit different than the US rules, so that has caused some confusion regarding certain releases and labels since the 90s (Label X, which released HEIDI, is another such label). If you mention Tsunami releases on FSM, the thread is deleted or locked due to their rules about not discussing bootleg releases. Check out these discussions from a few years ago (Americans tend to think they are, Europeans tend not to):

I don't live in the US, so it's not a bootleg. There really should be a clear definition of what constitutes a bootleg.

This one arguably is not.... Unless you bring it to the US, maybe.

It's not on my website. So it's a bootleg. ;)

A bootleg is an album made without authorization and where it's clear the label did not pay the rights. 

54 minutes ago, Bespin said:

As Star Wars is a five stars (an example of the best he did) and Heartbeeps is one star (an example of the worse he did, according to me)... Million surely deserve 3 stars.

This is false logic.

If you judge every score against an all-time best like Star Wars or Jurassic Park, very few scores (in fact, almost none) will get another 5 stars.

I consider Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, etc. 5 Stars, but also slightly less celebrated scores like JFK, Born on the Fourth of July, and Tintin.

I really have no opinion this way or that way. My main concern with the Tsunami releases is not the 'bootleg' issue, but the fact that they've had inferior production values. That's why I've never sought them out (although I've sampled a few).

For a Johnny score, it's pretty close to John music. The breezy catchy main theme, the romantic material, the fanfare and suspenseful heist music. The seeds are definitely planted in this one. He's getting great.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I really have no opinion this way or that way. My main concern with the Tsunami releases is not the 'bootleg' issue, but the fact that they've had inferior production values. That's why I've never sought them out (although I've sampled a few).

Yeah, but still better to have this one than no version at all, I'd say... 

I'm starting to hope the Intrada version gets reissued. That was limited to how many copies? Anybody know?

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hey, no dissing of CINDERELLA LIBERTY -- one of the most entertaining Williams scores of the 70s.

I think he was praising Cinderella Liberty.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hey, no dissing of CINDERELLA LIBERTY -- one of the most entertaining Williams scores of the 70s.

Cut away Paul Williams' awful singing and it's a great score.

34 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Cut away Paul Williams' awful singing and it's a great score.

Paul Williams is an acquired taste, agreed, but I kinda like the idiosyncratic sound of his voice. Took some time getting used to, though.

JW has scored around 100 movies so far. A day has only 24 hours, and I usually sleep 8 hours every night. So you'll always have to make decisions and set priorities which score to listen to... Because obviously you can't listen to them all in a day.

And the way it usually happens is, I always listen to the scores from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010's. The last time I listened to a score from the the pre-Jaws period is... Well, I don't even recall! 

But the "Six" (I call them like that), really need to be discovered one day or another.  I can understand priorities when collecting or discovering an artist. But these ones, you will learn to love them, I can assure you.

p_cl1591.jpgp_cp440.jpgp_tfm4183.jpg

p_w1668.jpgp_e4426st.jpgp_ual4173.jpg

Yeah, all of those are gems -- except maybe DIAMOND HEAD (which is OK, but the main thematic idea is not by Williams anyway).

I reached the point in my Williams fandom some years ago where I veered away from the 'classics' and the classical periods, and focussed most of my attention on the lesser known in the last few decades OR the more obscure things in his early days. So I'm very much into his 50s and 60s stuff -- of which HOW TO STEAL A MILLION is a cornerstone, both because of the music and because of the 'first A list' element. My favourite of these albums, though, is the insanely entertaining NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T.

I can only take so much in one sitting! (although I do like some of those 'exotica' albums that were popular in the 60s, and which did -- in fact -- land Winterhalter the DIAMOND HEAD gig, although he eventually proved unable to fulfill the demands of a film composer).

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

This needs to be back in print and I certainly missed the Intrada release. Lets hope we can get Intrada to reissue this.