How do you like "How to Steal a Million"?

Josh500

How do you like "How to Steal a Million"?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the score to "How to Steal a Million"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know this score.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wait, why is her hand chopped off?

It's the Intrada member cropping spirit, before Eastwood's foot, it was Hepburn's hand. :P

Actually it's because it's not the actual Intrada release but a boot from TP4 Music so you get an alternate bad cover

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wait, why is her hand chopped off?

Congratulations on being the first person in history to see a picture of Audrey Hepburn and focus on her hand.  

Gotta admit I was scrolling through the unread content page and I HAD to open this thread to find out how something about one of Williams' early scores had ended up at Positivatee's snortlol-inducing post.  

• 1 month later...

I consider this to be Williams' very first great score. I think he wrote it before Penelope the same year which I also consider to be some of his finest music of the 60s. Just when he was about to start really finding his own voice as a Composer.

After years of viewing mere glimpses on TV since I was a kid I finally watched this whole gorgeous movie today. I knew the Intrada release was incomplete but I didn't realise to what extent. Sadly there are about 11 or 12 cues which remain unreleased.

In terms of the "surviving" cues which Intrada released, does this indicate that the tapes for the unreleased cues don't exist? Or could the tapes merely have been unusable at the time because of mag wow and flutter? I hope its the latter and that this gorgeous score might be revisited in the future what with the level of technology that has developed since the Intrada Double CD was released 14 years ago. 

I think it's the latter, and some day MM will rebuild a different album than we got from Intrada in 2008

In the Intrada release blurb, "pristine stereo master of original 1966 re-recorded album plus all surviving stereo cues from actual soundtrack sessions" to me obviously implied that there are surviving mono masters too, but they only released the stereo ones because... mono bad. Or they were in worse shape.

Are the remaining cues on the isolated score track on the Twilight Time Bluray? It's been so long since I watched it, I'll have to check. I know Mike worked on that too and said in an interview that there were some improvements to it over the Intrada release, but again I can't remember exactly what. 

Not a particularly useful post! Apologies :D

Thanks for all the info guys. I would look up the Blu Ray Iso tracks but I guessed from listening to the movie today that there was a lot of dialling in and out so maybe whatevers on the Blu Ray might not represent everything written for the movie. I really hope the remaining tracks see the light of day thanks to new tech so we can appreciate the entire score one day. 

According to the SABAM Repertoire, there's 56:05 of JW score in the film (12:48 of score with the Two Lovers theme plus 43:17 of other underscore):

image.png

So, if suitable elements can be located, there's just under 30 minutes of unreleased music that could be added, at a minimum.