Most wanted unreleased cues?

Brundlefly

This summer I listened to the Azkaban complete score for the first time (prior to that, I had only heard a few scattered cues). I enjoyed it very much. One of my favorite cues was the unreleased 6M5 Pt II, available only in mock-up form. I'd say it's now one of my Williams grails (much more so than "The Rescue of Sirius," which I don't care that much about). I absolutely adore how, in the second half of the cue, Williams writes some really awesome brass figures (maybe they're jazzy - I'm not sure of the correct description) on top of beautiful choir. The chords are just amazing - I can't imagine anyone other than Williams writing something quite like that. The released film version of 6M5 First Frozen Lake is terrific as well, retaining a tiny bit of the brass figures but giving everything a much darker and less heroic tone. Here's an example from the film version of the jazzy brass figures I'm referring to: 

Anyway, anyone else a fan of 6M5 Pt II

On 1/12/2017 at 5:04 AM, Richard said:

Sorry! I meant the music that starts with bells of some sort, when Indy says "whoever drinks the cup of Christ..." (or something like that).

Yeah. The chimes there are bone-chilling for whatever reason. Pure Williams in their simplicity and brilliance. Many of the great composers seemed to know exactly how to score a moment and it couldn't have been any other way. Horner said something to that effect, about knowing there was no better way of doing it than the way he did it. That's a great example, actually. Naturally, it wasn't on the OST or expanded release.

I want to vote for Padme's Funeral. The way Williams interpolates the Qui-Gon funeral motif, a grisly rendition of the Force Theme and the Imperial March for the millionth time as though it were the first...

8885361.gif

Wait, I realize I posted that on the first page. I don't care. I'm saying it again. At least I'm consistent in that regard. Disney, release the complete scores, you money-hungry bastards.

• 3 years later...
20 minutes ago, CuriousMan said:

:music:Jurassic Park I and II: The Lost World - session style, original master quality, cue/track titles.:music:

On 1/10/2017 at 2:54 PM, Brundlefly said:

I'm not asking for most wanted complete scores, but for a special, single, yet unreleased cue you really want on CD.

That's not really unreleased... just rip it from the DVD.

I'd second Padme's Funeral.

However, my numero uno unreleased cue is the initial eruption music from Dante's Peak; the single cue that's not on the boot.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:54 PM, Brundlefly said:

My Top 5:

1 Molaram's Speech/The Evil Potion (The Temple of Doom)

2 Professor Trewlaney's Prediction (The Prisoner of Azkaban)

3 The Holy Grail (The Last Crusade)

4 [Cue in Amistad when Yamba explains the bible]

5 Wallcrawler I/Dracula & Mina (Dracula)

Oh cool, there's only three left!

2 hours ago, CuriousMan said:

:music:All stand-alone cues from Jurassic Park I and II: The Lost World.:music:

You know they're out?

16 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

Rey's Training (Complete) 

Rey and Ben Team Up 

Lando's Arrival 

Sorry if these are not the correct cue titles... Man I need a proper MM expansion of this score :crymore:

Exactly the same here.

Rey VS the red guards between Ben fighting the Knights of Ren is so great.

17 minutes ago, CuriousMan said:

...or Jurassic Park for that matter.

I'm assuming the LaLaLand release doesn't suffice? I've got the set, I'm not being sarcastic, i'm just wondering why it's not "definitive". 

Thanks. 

The LLL set is defintiive and contains everything recorded for both films.

@CuriousMan is just on some crusade because some cues overlap each other instead of being separated and he doesn't like the mastering choice as much as the OST album's mastering

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The LLL set is defintiive and contains everything recorded for both films.

@CuriousMan is just on some crusade because some cues overlap each other instead of being separated and he doesn't like the mastering choice as much as the OST album's mastering

Oh interesting! Thank you for the clarification. 

I remember someone on here almost 15 years ago now saying something like Expanded/Complete releases never sound as good as the OST's. However I remember the Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings Releases where the first time i'd thought "Wow this sounds superior to the OST's". 

The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition being the prime example. 

36 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

I remember someone on here almost 15 years ago now saying something like Expanded/Complete releases never sound as good as the OST's.

There's really no reason to ever go with absolutes like that.  Anytime a piece of music is released on two different albums that each have different mastering, there will always be people that prefer one over the other, 100% of the time.  That's just life.

I've found the majority of expanded releases sound better than the OST albums, but it's certainly not always true.  And sometimes neither is "better" than the other, they are just each different, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Luckily, any music we want to buy these days is always easily sampled online before committing to a purchase so we always know what we're in for.

On 11/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, CuriousMan said:

Stand-alones. - Without the un-needed combining, editing, enhancing etc.

Why? - If I may ask.

There's only one thing that is weird on this release (prepare not to get it unheard ever again): The unnatural fade-in of the clarinet in "Entrance of Mr. Hammond". I mean, why is it there?

On 11/19/2020 at 10:48 AM, Brundlefly said:

There's only one thing that is weird on this release (prepare not to get it unheard ever again): The unnatural fade-in of the clarinet in "Entrance of Mr. Hammond". I mean, why is it there?

Am I mistaken or does it indeed sound unnatural?

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, Brundlefly said:

Am I mistaken or does it indeed sound unnatural?

It does sound odd... ?:unsure:? You're not wrong there.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, Brundlefly said:

The unnatural fade-in of the clarinet in "Entrance of Mr. Hammond". I mean, why is it there?

You got me. ???:unsure:??? That's one of the many reasons I can't help being interested in these scores original masters.;)

On 11/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, Jay said:

No, not a crusade, I'm not being sarcastic. In August 11th 2017, Someone else said: "Can't stand when cues are needlessly combined when they were clearly recorded separately. (I don't care how short they are or if they're combined in the film)" 'Totally agree.

12 minutes ago, CuriousMan said:

No, not a crusade, I'm not being sarcastic. In August 11th 2017, Someone else said: "Can't stand when cues are needlessly combined when they were clearly recorded separately. (I don't care how short they are or if they're combined in the film)" 'Totally agree.

I understand the appeal of wanting to hear a film score in a 'recording sessions' style, where each cue is separate. However, it's true that many of Williams' cues were written to overlap onto each other and so in that way, when a release presents them as such, it's 'as intended' by the composer. 

4 hours ago, CuriousMan said:

In the LLL release, why the one-second-silence at the start of every track? when in original master, the silence is short by a few milliseconds.

It's only around 0,75 seconds by the way and it's part of the professional processing to have a certain space before and after the music in a track. You're seriously bothered by that?

This is supposed to be a thread about cues that are completely unreleased.

This is not a thread to delve deep into cues that are released, but you perceive to have technical issues.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:53 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not asking for most wanted complete scores, but for a special, single, yet unreleased cue you really want on CD.

The Muppet Christmas Carol - Miles Goodman. That has several unreleased tracks.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:57 PM, Richard Penna said:

just rip it from the DVD.

I hear you. However, it's just not the same as soundtrack master.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, aj_vader said:

i'm just wondering why it's not "definitive". 

Thanks. 

That's for another topic.;)

Regards.

That aside, there's Muppet Christmas Carol - Miles Goodman.

I've thought of two three four more:

SLALOM ON MOUNT HUMOL  (full version)

The music in ...LAST CRUSADE when Indy looks at the painting in his dad's room, and what sound like hand bells ring

The "party" music, from BRAINSTORM

SPEAKERS CORNER

39 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The music in ...LAST CRUSADE when Indy looks at the painting in his dad's room, and what sound like hand bells ring

Everyone wants that... so it seems.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SLALOM ON MOUNT HUMOL  (full version)

That entire cue (2M3 Down The Snowbank) is on the OST album.  There's nothing in the film version of that that is not on the soundtrack version.  You might be thinking of the music that plays directly after the slalom sequence once they're in the river, but that's just the next cue in the score, 2M4 The Indian Village.  That cue has indeed never been released.

The music in ...LAST CRUSADE when Indy looks at the painting in his dad's room

That's 3M3 Father's Study and it has been released on the 2008 Concord box set, disc 5 track 6 "Father's Study"

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's 3M3 Father's Study and it has been released on the 2008 Concord box set, disc 5 track 6 "Father's Study"

I think he's referring to the first rendition of the Holy Grail Theme.

The first rendition of the Holy Grail theme occurs during the Young Indy prologue.  That wasn't on the OST, but is on the Concord.

The instance of the Grail theme with the bells isn't in the Young Indy scene or the Father's Study scene, it's in between those scenes, during Donovan's party.

That cue is 3M2A The Holy Grail and is indeed unreleased.

But it leaked, so we have it clean in crummy quality

On 12/8/2020 at 9:09 AM, MrJosh said:

I understand the appeal of wanting to hear a film score in a 'recording sessions' style, where each cue is separate.

You do?!😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😗😞

Yeah, just meaning that I can understand that viewpoint. It's not my preference though. My preference would be just having cues overlap as composer originally intended them to. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:10 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah. What Jay said.

Ah, ah, ah, ah!

Off topic!

jurassic park no GIF

On 12/8/2020 at 9:11 PM, Jay said:

perceive to have technical issues.

Ah, ah, ah, ah!

Off topic!

jurassic park no GIF

20 hours ago, Jay said:

The first rendition of the Holy Grail theme occurs during the Young Indy prologue.  That wasn't on the OST, but is on the Concord.

The instance of the Grail theme with the bells isn't in the Young Indy scene or the Father's Study scene, it's in between those scenes, during Donovan's party.

That cue is 3M2A The Holy Grail and is indeed unreleased.

But it leaked, so we have it clean in crummy quality

That's the fella!

Thanks Jay, and I'm sorry to confuse you as to where it's heard, in the film.