STANLEY & IRIS (1990) - 2017 Varese Deluxe Edition paired with PETE 'N' TILLIE (World Premiere release)

Jay

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I just wished both this and the Bluray had used the original artwork. (or at least something that doesn't feature cut-out figures in photoshop) 

rsz_stanley_iris_bd_booklet.png

The art used by Varese is from one of the release posters (not PhotoShop):

http://www.impawards.com/1990/posters/stanley_and_iris_ver2.jpg

I quite like the way they incorporated the little bicycle from the top of the poster with the "Deluxe Edition" banner.

Just got my copy and am just listening to it for the first time. The previously unreleased passages in Stanley & Iris are very lovely indeed. :)

Pete ´n´ Tillie is such a lovely warm little score and a really wonderful surprise in this day and age when a seasoned JW fan thinks he has heard everything. Apart from the song that is not part of the score I had heard none of the underscore nor seen the film so this is a completely new score for me, which in itself is refreshing but this is albeit a short but also a terrific melodic theme and variation score that completely won me over after the Main Title.

I've listened to this entire CD probably 5-6, maybe 7 or 8 times now.  I think I prefer Pete N Tillie over Stanley & Iris!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I've listened to this entire CD probably 5-6, maybe 7 or 8 times now.  I think I prefer Pete N Tillie over Stanley & Iris!

Really?

Isn't Pete N Tillie a monothematic score?

(meaning it has only one theme)

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Really?

Doesn't Stanley & Iris only have one theme?

I read the liner notes and since i just know that both films are from the same director...i think the pairing of the two scores is very fitting, specially when the second score is completely unreleased....we cant complain.

I love the E.T. flair of the track "The bicycle". Ok someone can call it a ripp-off... But is is a nice touch.

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Really?

Yeah, but the theme is very good..! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.3.2017 at 8:44 PM, Sandor said:

Pete N Tillie could have featured Love Is The Game In Town though.....

my first thought after I heard the first two bars today, realizing I knew the theme (CD arrived today, yeah! and no customs fees. :D)

I got this too!

I have a question:

the liner notes mention the "literacy motif" which is introduced in The Pink Sweater.

I assume they refer to the opening motif , right?

Well, i can hear it again in Entering the Library (in the very beginning again) as the notes say and in Naming the trees,

but I can't find it in Kitchen table or Reading Lessons. :huh:

also, about lost in the Streets.

I think it was the best decision to leave that out.

Having this at that particular scene would be a fail from a dramatic point of view on Williams' part in my opinion.

it's too heavy and menacing for that scene, and it doesn't really match with the rest of the score which is light...

Yea it was probably good they replaced it with tracked music in the final film

I just got this. Haven't opened it yet, though. I'll listen to it... some time. :P

I'm busy going through The Force Awakens again. Though I don't think this is better than TPM, I absolutely love the first and last tracks. Can't get enough of these. 

Me too.  Although I don't know if that's saying much, this has been kind of a sorry decade for major film scores overall.  Plenty of great scores, of course, but I just can't shake the disappointment.  In another era, with so many comics/genre films being made, it could have been a golden age of imaginative, memorable scores.  Instead it's mostly just been boring.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The last track is probably my favorite track on any film score OST of the 2010s

Yes. Mine is either the first track or last track from TFA, or something from War Horse or Tintin (some great stuff there too!). 

But yeah, probably it's TFA.

In terms of Williams, the closest competition for me would be "The Peterson House and Finale" from Lincoln.  I've probably listened to that track more than any other from an OST this decade.

• 2 months later...

aargh, beginning of Bedroom Scene in Pete and Tilliy sounds like the beginning of another JW cue and I can't place it

no that's not it!

I mean the exact same notes.  Maybe it's not the beginning of a cue

maybe it's not even Williams!

really annoying me because I feel it''s a cue I've heard over and over

yes it is similar

but I found the cue I was looking for...it't not Williams. It's a track from Final Fantasy XIII:Lightning Returns OST, I had it on Final Fantasy playlist

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, Thor said:

Bummer!

OK, amateur cover designers....you know what you have to do!

Has anyone done this?

Jim Titus used to design a lot of covers for me back in the day, before he got all big and famous. I couldn't afford him now if I wanted to. But in the meantime, I'm sufficing with the fan art made by someone over on FSM:

pnt.jpg

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Jim Titus used to design a lot of covers for me back in the day, before he got all big and famous. I couldn't afford him now if I wanted to. But in the meantime, I'm sufficing with the fan art made by someone over on FSM:

pnt.jpg

It's good enough for me.  Thanks!  While we're on the subject, know of anyone that made a custom 'Rare Breed' album cover?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Just recently I read the Wikipedia plot summary for Pete 'n' Tillie.  Sounds like a real bizarre movie.

Every pre '80's movies where bizarre.

I do my own cover art if I'm not happy with what I find online.

I did this one based on the original poster, and it correctly attributes the composer as John T. Williams as was his usual credit at the time.

imagejpeg

On 6/30/2017 at 3:02 PM, Bespin said:

Every pre '80's movies where bizarre.

Jaws, Star Wars, and Superman The Movie included?

• 7 months later...

Was listening again to this cd.

has anyone managed to find the difference between track 1 and 21?

or they are just different takes?

also the two Stanley's Invention. Are they just different takes too?

and putting it all together?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes it's all just different takes. If the director used a different take in the film than JW chose for the old OST album, MM made sure to include both.

Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure.

it would be nice if the liner notes said what is what.

(eg. these cues are alternate takes, these cues have alternate beginning etc.)

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

Hey, don't listen to the alternate cues on those expanded sets, they are made to make you nuts!

well, the "alternate" cues in this particular case as they are placed in the cd are the film cues.

• 2 years later...

I finally got the chance to order this score from screenarchives.com, as well as Far and Away, The River and The 3cd edition of Roger Rabbit.
After I placed the order, I noticed that this title is being sold by SA at a higher price  ($24.99) than the Varese sarabande website ($19.99), while the other items are priced exactly the same price as their label websites: is that something these websites usually do? I thought that these big soundtrack websites used to apply the same prices across the web :(.

Unlike Intrada and LLL (and other specialty labels), Varese does not offer retailers a discount on the purchase of their CDs, so Screen Archives has to buy them at the retail price and then mark them up for resale.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

This sold out today.

It was part of Varese's Spring Cleaning Sale this morning, and is now simply unlisted on their website.

Damn, missed that. What was the going price for it when it was available, do you know?

I have the digital files of the PETE'N'TILLIE portion, of course. But need to get it in physical format, even if it comes with an expanded STANLEY & IRIS that I do not need. I'm guessing that, despite the sale, the price would still be too steep because of the shipping.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Damn, missed that. What was the going price for it when it was available, do you know?

I don't know, sorry

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but that's not a sales price, I assume.

Varese's sale was of their own inventory through their own store; This would have zero impact on any other stores that sell their titles.  27,95 € is MBR's standard price for a $19.98 Varese Club title

Re-reading the interview of Mike for this release, he mentions about Pete 'n' Tillie: 

It’s a wonderful theme and a great little gem. People should be aware, however, that if the release sells out Varése would have to re-license that score and they could very well decide to reissue Stanley & Iris, which they own, without it.

@Thor Get it now before you have to pay even more for it!

I've given up retail of this a long time ago, due not only to CD price, but to shipping on top. I'm hoping to buy it secondhand from a friendly soul at some point, or trade for it. Same for the other two Williamses I'm missing in original, physical format (SUPERMAN IV and GOODBYE MR. CHIPS). The Vienna concert, I aim to buy retail once I encounter a deal. It's not that limited.