STANLEY & IRIS (1990) - 2017 Varese Deluxe Edition paired with PETE 'N' TILLIE (World Premiere release)

Jay

32 minutes ago, king mark said:

Eh it's in my  bottom 5 post 1975 JW scores

Is there even unreleased music in Presumed Innocent

It's like Saving Private Ryan or Munich: Absolutely no reason for an expansion (in case it is possible to expand it at all).

Stanley and Iris - Someone needs to explain how scores from two different studios managed to get onto one release. Can you imagine the doors this opens for future releases?

Yes, two different studios but doors were not knocked down really because Varese has perpetuity rights to Stanley & Iris, so it was just a matter of going to Universal for additional tracks to license as you would do with adding existing songs to a score album release. With it being for the same composer/director collaboration and too short to release on its own, Universal agreed, but it all had to be prepped first so Mr. Williams could hear it and okay it, which he did. Pat Sullivan and I worked on this release together and it turned out very well.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=119169&forumID=1&archive=0

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yes, it is complete.  And in fact, is twice as long as what was used in the film.

well there is much source music too, but Ok. I guess we were talking about the score only.

By the way, I watched the film a couple of weeks ago! Strange coincidence that it was released now on CD!

It was just OK.

Yes, I was talking about score only.

Both scores feature source music that doesn't appear on Varese's CD.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

Pete N Tillie could have featured Love Is The Game In Town though.....

"Love's the Only Game in Town". Yeah, a pity it was omitted. But I have the song separately. I also have some source cues, like "Pete's Piano Rag", which doesn't seem to be on this CD.

The film, incidentally, is a soapy and sentimental affair, clearly molded to be LOVE STORY light.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Pete's Piano Rag", which doesn't seem to be on this CD.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Both scores feature source music that doesn't appear on Varese's CD.

Yeah, I just asked Mike this question over on FSM. It's not a big deal or anything; I'm not even sure it's by Williams. I'm just curious. Perhaps they feature SOME source, but not all.

10 hours ago, king mark said:

what kind of score is it? Is it like his 60's comedy scores or more classic Williams?

There are two samples from Pete 'n' Tillie on Varèse's website:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vsrcatalogue/Irisstanley+27.mp3

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vsrcatalogue/Irisstanley+29.mp3

Nice! We now have another unreleased JW score off the list in Pete 'n' Tillie. 

Is there anything in the S&I Isolated Blu-ray score that isn't on the CD or vice versa? I skimmed through the thread quickly so I may have missed it if someone mentioned it already. If there isn't, it will save me time of having to record the music track on CD for my JW shelf.

I got the S&I Blu-ray and didn't crack it open yet (In fact, I got two by mistake, so if anybody wants one for cost, let me know).

I like the Pete and Tilly samples

The samples were making Firefox crash and I've had lots of crashes lately. I just removed the "theme" add on I had and now it works. Bummer I liked how it looked

3 hours ago, Chris ChrusherComix said:

Nice! We now have another unreleased JW score off the list in Pete 'n' Tillie. 

Is there anything in the S&I Isolated Blu-ray score that isn't on the CD or vice versa? I skimmed through the thread quickly so I may have missed it if someone mentioned it already. If there isn't, it will save me time of having to record the music track on CD for my JW shelf.

I got the S&I Blu-ray and didn't crack it open yet (In fact, I got two by mistake, so if anybody wants one for cost, let me know).

Apparently the various source pieces for Stanley & Iris were left off the Varese Deluxe edition. Which to me is certainly no biggie and I can see why JW might nix those from some album presentations.

At fisrt  i saw just the price and being dissapointed previoulsy about the ommission of the source music...

But with the inclusion of pete'n'lillie varese really delivered this time! ordered! :)

I had seen musicbox price but varese is rather normal. (though with shipping... well)

KM it seems they changed the site and erased previous accounts because mine also doesnt work (there is no email like mine in the database when i try to reset password) . I think the last time i ordered was Midway or family plot...

12 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

At fisrt  i saw just the price and being dissapointed previoulsy about the ommission of the source music...

But with the inclusion of pete'n'lillie varese really delivered this time! ordered! :)

What particular omissions of source music do you lament Mañuel?

10 hours ago, Chris ChrusherComix said:

Is there anything in the S&I Isolated Blu-ray score that isn't on the CD or vice versa?

The CD features score music that wasn't used in the film (so doesn't appear on the iso track), the iso track features source music that isn't on the CD (none of which was written by Williams). 

I noticed that the new CD does not include the vocal versions of the song "Love's The Only Game In Town"  performed separately by the film's stars Carol Burnett and Walter Matthau. I have those saved on a thumb drive. I always favored the Mrs. Burnett version as she displays the vocal range of a singer vs. Mr. Matthau's which is more of a "speak" version of the song.

17 hours ago, Sandor said:

Pete N Tillie could have featured Love Is The Game In Town though.....

I seem to remember JW had nothing to do with both versions of "Love is the Only Game In Town"--the version sung by Walter Matthau is arranged and conducted by Al Capps, while the Carol Burnett version is arranged and produced by Peter Metz. They were both produced and released for 45rpm singles outside the actual recording of the film score. I could be wrong, so I need to verify this.

Can't wait to have this new release, btw. Stellar work again from Mr. Matessino.

12 minutes ago, finalscore said:

I noticed that the new CD does not include the vocal versions of the song "Love's The Only Game In Town"  performed separately by the film's stars Carol Burnett and Walter Matthau. I have those saved on a thumb drive. I always favored the Mrs. Burnett version as she displays the vocal range of a singer vs. Mr. Matthau's which is more of a "speak" version of the song.

Carol Burnett's recording is controlled by WEA and was done for her album later on. The promo recording was done for MCA and is therefore controlled by UME. Williams had nothing to do with any of those and the song is not sung in the film.

It was wonderful to just get NBC Universal to agree to this, let alone attempt to bring in two major record labels for material not recorded for the film which the Maestro would not have wanted to include anyway, and which can be found elsewhere.

Once again people need to realize that NBC Universal and Universal Music Group (which has the MCA catalog) are two completely different companies with no corporate connection. NONE. That ended 13 years ago.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118560&forumID=1&archive=0

If and when I can afford this CD, I have my plan sorted out. I'll sample the STANLEY & IRIS portion, but probably won't import it to my iTunes. I might replicate the original Varese program if the sound is considerably better.

For PETE'N'TILLIE, I hope there's a separate cover on the inside of the booklet, which I then might scan or use in my iTunes. I'll transfer all the music files to iTunes, and add my source cue "Pete's Piano Rag" and the song, which I already own (I also own poor-sounding versions of the "Main Title", "Love Theme" and "End Credits", but they'll be deleted promptly). This score is so short and sweet, I'm confident a complete presentation is unproblematic in this case.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not complaining about their omission. I merely pointed out their Omission. I understand the "legalities" involved in their inclusion on the new CD. Perhaps in a "unicorn and rainbows" alternate world every note of everyone's favorite composer, whomever that may be, is being released for public consumption. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The CD features score music that wasn't used in the film (so doesn't appear on the iso track), the iso track features source music that isn't on the CD (none of which was written by Williams). 

Which is all the more reason for me to not care about the source music in this instance.

I asked Mike Matessino as to how PETE 'N' TILLY came about (and being 2nd Williams project on cd with 2 scores, after JURASSIC PARK /LOST WORLD set.

Pete 'n' Tillie came up when I was doing research for the liner notes and I said, "I wonder...." I checked with Townson, then with Universal for material and if the deal would be possible, and then with JW's office. Got the transfers, mixed, played for JW and when he said yes everyone pushed through to make it happen quickly. It's a lovely little score.

We owe Matessino a big thanks!. 

How lovely that JW was happy to sit down and listen to something obscure he wrote all those years ago, and approve its release?

Mike Matessino has the best job in the world! And seriously (if you're reading this), you're a bloody legend!

I watched the movie yesterday. Not bad, a little movie, two great actors.

The theme seems to be of the same family as some material in Jane Eyre, not bad too!

On 3/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, Chris ChrusherComix said:

@Chris ChrusherComix, check your PMs.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, Chris ChrusherComix said:

Is there anything in the S&I Isolated Blu-ray score that isn't on the CD or vice versa?

More from MM:

The original album did not use the exact performance as the film in some cases, and there were also inserts and redone sections. It made more sense to make those the bonus tracks. They can easily be reorganised in a playlist. No source music on the set, but there S&I cues on the CD that are not on the Blu-Ray.