Terminator 6: Dark Fate (2019)

Jay

I won't lie: I kinda saw the whole box office thing coming a mile off. I've seen the film twice and my enjoyment of it hasn't decreased, unlike Genisys which did decrease on a second viewing, and then degraded even further upon subsequent viewings on home media.

Terminator has been mired by the previous three attempts. It just doesn't have the recovering power of other major science fiction franchises. While I feel it does update the ideas of 'contemporary fear' that were something underlying the first film (nuclear annihilation then, our over-reliance on technology now), and in a far better way than Genisys did, I acknowledge the franchise just doesn't have that power. And, frankly: I don't think it ever did.

They could have made the best film in existence. Doesn't matter. The damage had already been done by the time a single letter was penned of the script. The film was doomed from the get-go by the leaden anchor put around its neck by its three predecessors, and by unrealistic expectations that it should somehow be better than the second film.

This works well enough as a close-out to the story - though there is enough there to carry the story on, it doesn't need to be carried on, like the first film.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

That looked like a movie for the video game/anime neckbeard crowd. Not interested. Dark Fate looked like a crappy sequel to crappy sequels that brought back people from the good ones but still didn't look like anything worth seeing.

I liked what Alita was trying to be, it's just like many adaptations in that it suffers fast-forwarding character development and plot to fit a movie run time. It's funny you said it would be for the anime crowd when it was an anime before the film. 

Dark Fate's marketing has been atrocious. Even Hamilton isn't a drawcard after this many years. The Skynet stuff is just a blend of things the other sequels already did (an exoskeleton covered by liquid metal from T3, a human/cyborg hybrid from Salvation, an aged Arnold living in 'retirement' from Genisys). I expected something totally innovative from Cameron in this field, in the same way liquid metal was completely innovative for T2. Alas, it's obvious there's no inspiration left in this series.

And yes, I know this is the score thread but everyone knew exactly what the score would sound like the moment the composer was announced, so it's not like there's anything interesting to discuss.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's not a question of liking them, it's more of how they function as a series of interconnected films with a satisfying story. 

Huh? What? It's Ahnuld playing a robot blowing shit up. You give these movies too much... I dunno, but you give them too much of something. 

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

Huh? What? It's Ahnuld playing a robot blowing shit up. You give these movies too much... I dunno, but you give them too much of something. 

I've only seen the first two a couple of times and the sequels I've seen half of at some point or another. I don't really care for them the way some people do but I do recognise they are good films. So I don't give them anything, my time and patience least among them.

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's Disney, not?

The movie is being distributed by Paramount on the US and Fox/Disney on foreign markets. So, the good news is the movie's huge 185 million budget is being split threeway between Paramount, Fox and producer Skydance, so they won't take the whole loss by themselves.

In any case, on the last few years Paramount has been synonymous with box office bombs: Ghost in the Shell, Gemini Man, Wonder Park, the Dora the Explorer movie, Baywatch, Monster Trucks... Even Transformers: The Last Knight disappointed. The Mission: Impossible movies and some ocasional hits (like A Quiet Place) are the only things keeping the studio from closing the doors.

What a sad ending for the studio that a decade ago had the MCU and DreamWorks Animation movies.

Since it seems Paramount itself is also one of the problems, no wonder this film didn't stand a chance. Goes back to what I said about them making any type of film and it being absolutely no good. It's what one might call a 'perfect storm of circumstances',

Does Paramount still actually have rights to future Indiana Jones productions, BTW?

While they probably won't (they keep the Disney logo off of the Star Wars movies), it would be fun for them to continue the Paramount mountain gag with the Disney castle in the fifth one.

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's estimated that Dark Fate will lose a 100 million dollars. R.I.P. The Terminator francise.

Hopefully Avatar will suffer the same (dark) fate.             

Avatar will need to find a new avatar.

Didn't Disney cut a deal with Paramount to still own the distribution rights for the Indy films, when they acquired Lucasfilm? Maybe that was just for films 1-4 and didn't include latter sequels.

No biggie. Spielberg can just open with a vintage Disney logo instead and dissolve into a real-life castle where the story begins (didn't Lucas originally want Indy 3 to start in a haunted castle?)

• 2 months later...

Marketing for Dark Fate definitely screwed up. It seemed woke AF. But upon watching the movie I thought it was alright, no PC agenda at all being forced down my throat - just a good, over the top action flick.

I don’t really understand all the bad reviews either. Sure it’s not great, and it underperformed at the box office,  but it was entertaining, fun and kept my interest throughout the movie - which is more than I can say for 90 % of all movies I’ve watched the last couple of years.

18 hours ago, rough cut said:

Marketing for Dark Fate definitely screwed up. It seemed woke AF. But upon watching the movie I thought it was alright, no PC agenda at all being forced down my throat - just a good, over the top action flick.

I don’t really understand all the bad reviews either. Sure it’s not great, and it underperformed at the box office,  but it was entertaining, fun and kept my interest throughout the movie - which is more than I can say for 90 % of all movies I’ve watched the last couple of years.

Second time with this franchise. The one good thing going for the previous film was spoiled in trailers. Paramount and/or Skydance need to fire their marketing department, before they start wrecking the marketing for films they do care about.

21 hours ago, rough cut said:

You think the movie failed financially because people saw the preview about people and robots, some of whom were ladies, and thought, "Oh no, here come the feminazis!"?

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

You think the movie failed financially because people saw the preview about people and robots, some of whom were ladies, and thought, "Oh no, here come the feminazis!"?

Aren't all ladies robots in some sense?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

It’s not my opinion - that was absolutely the reaction.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Major part of it, yes. 

People don't take kindly to their myths being hung upside down to appease woke culture. 

I watched this two days ago. I for one liked it. I'm glad Cameron came back for this one. Although I've liked all the Terminator films....well only parts of Salvation but anyways.... ya this was a step up from Genisys. 

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wasn't T3 "woke", before "woke" was even thought of?

What, because of the poorly-written female villain with the expanding assets? Is that what people thought of as 'woke'?

On 1/30/2020 at 8:40 AM, Edmilson said:

lol

Linda Hamilton "Would Be Quite Happy to Never Return" to 'Terminator'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/linda-hamilton-would-be-happy-never-return-terminator-1274687

No doubt.  Her roll in the film was a bit....squandered. 

Regarding Box Office....ya Star Trek Beyond's marketing sucked ass.  I don't remember how well it did in the theaters but I thought it was easily the best of the three reboots.