Terminator 6: Dark Fate (2019)

Jay

3 hours ago, Trent B said:

Regarding Box Office....ya Star Trek Beyond's marketing sucked ass.  I don't remember how well it did in the theaters but I thought it was easily the best of the three reboots.

Beyond underperformed and had a smaller BO than any of the 2 Abramsverse movies, both worldwide and on the US.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt0796366/?ref_=bo_gr_ti

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt1408101/?ref_=bo_gr_ti

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt2660888/?ref_=bo_gr_ti

Into Darkness may be the worse, but it still was the biggest movie of the whole Trek franchise worldwide, unadjusted for inflation. And probably even if adjusted, considering Trek only comparatively broke out overseas with STID.

But neither of these movies was probably profitable, though, specially the latter two. They were so expensive that they required worldwide BOs over $550m just to break even. Paramount wanted their own MCU or Star Wars and gave enourmous budgets to these Abramsverse movies, to no avail.

Pretty much that.

They wanted Trek to be not a nerdy sci fi series for nerds, but a very lucrative action and sci fi franchise that would make huge money. After all, if superheroes, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Middle Earth managed to do that, why not Trek?

I'm not sure why some franchises break out and others do not, no matter how hard they try (Terminator is also an example, as well as Alien and Predator), but neither is Hollywood, actually.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

He probably won't get around to it until he's 90.

Either way, I've always been critical of reboots, especially in longrunning film series (remaking the silent version of BEN HUR into the 1959 version is another story altogether). I want it all to be canon, like one long story. Whether it's TERMINATOR, ALIEN or whatever. One can be critical of an entry, of course, but circumstances at the time made that exact film that exact point of canon continuation at that exact time. So one should adher to that. That's one of the reasons I was skeptical of Blomkamp's aborted ALIEN film, for example (even if they had justified the plotline through some hole in space-time).

These days, it's difficult to join all the TERMINATOR entries into a single, mythological storyline (with all the different Sarah Connors across films and TV shows, for example), but hey -- it's Cameron! I'm open to whatever he does, even if it's a TERMINATOR reboot.

TSCC, Genisys and Dark Fate are all technically reboots that ignore at least some of previous entries, there's no way they could exist in a cohesive timeline. On top of that, Cameron did not actually like anything between T3 and Genisys, and I think that's because he didn't actually have any say on those, or had minimal input in the case of Genisys. In fact, he's on record as actually being pretty salty over T3. So he's not likely to use anything from those in any capacity.

Literally every Terminator entry made after T2 ignores everything except T1 and T2.  They're all separate, each made by a different company who wanted to start a new series that all never got off the ground (except Sarah Connor Chronicles, which did get a season 2)

Yeah, I know all that. Still, I try to "force" a combined storyline into these things. It's just a quirk I have for franchises I love. For ALIEN, it sorta works, even if I run into difficulties with the AvP movies, for TERMINATOR it's different. Not only because of the different actors and actresses playing the Connors, but the seemingly colliding timelines. But I'll make it work.

I'm with you on this Thor.

Rebooting is an incredibly irritating and lazy habit that modern studios have cottoned onto. 

I wish Cameron had done T3 and capped the franchise off as a trilogy. 

I think Spiderman: No Way Home presented a nice solution for all the reboots in a given franchise: just say it is all a Multiverse with numerous variants of the same story. Then, you can bring back people from all the other reboots into a single, big Multiverse story.

21 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm with you on this Thor.

Rebooting is an incredibly irritating and lazy habit that modern studios have cottoned onto. 

I wish Cameron had done T3 and capped the franchise off as a trilogy. 

You can blame Mario Cassar for that. He wanted Cameron to direct somebody else's script and his response was that "directing a script by somebody else in a universe I fucking originated held no appeal to me"

• 4 months later...

Schwarzenegger: Terminator isn't done, I'm done. Dark Fate and Genisys were 'not well written'.

The franchise is not done. I’m done. I got the message loud and clear that the world wants to move on with a different theme when it comes to The Terminator. Someone has to come up with a great idea. The Terminator was largely responsible for my success, so I always would look at it very fondly. The first three movies were great. Number four [Salvation] I was not in because I was governor. Then five [Genisys] and six [Dark Fate] didn’t close the deal as far as I’m concerned. We knew that ahead of time because they were just not well written.

SOURCE

It's funny, because T3 was basically a mockery of T2, but it did have positive press at the time. I wonder if he's slating the last two as 'not well written' because they weren't well-received, because he absolutely had stood by them up to this point - even Genisys, which he held no loyalty towards once Cameron was brought back on board.

In relation to that, you have James Cameron, who said that bringing Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton back had been a mistake. I would wonder if there's something behind the scenes, some falling out between Cameron and Schwarzenegger over Dark Fate that basically has the two of them making veiled allusions to one another.

Three reboots is why this series has had it's day. Why not just stick to continuity instead of conveniently ignoring the films you (meaning the producers) don't like?

The only good sequel to T2 is "Salvation". The rest is garbage in my view. I would have loved to see more in that direction. Apart from that, there is more continuity and consistence in the "Friday the 13th" series.

But one thing I cannot forgive "Dark Fate". It broke the only common rule of the franchise: John Connor must be played by a completely different actor in every movie.

I enjoyed Dark Fate fine. For me (although admittedly I've never seen Genisys) the series' true dud is Salvation ... Bale should've had his on-set meltdown on a movie that was actually worth it.  

59 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The only good sequel to T2 is "Salvation". The rest is garbage in my view. I would have loved to see more in that direction. Apart from that, there is more continuity and consistence in the "Friday the 13th" series.

But one thing I cannot forgive "Dark Fate". It broke the only common rule of the franchise: John Connor must be played by a completely different actor in every movie.

First Half GIF

(Technically though, John was played by a different actor. Ain't no technology that can make a 40-year-old look like a 10-year-old :lol:)

The only good part of Salvation in my view was Anton Yelchin.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Three reboots is why this series has had it's day. Why not just stick to continuity instead of conveniently ignoring the films you (meaning the producers) don't like?

Problem with that is that even T3 didn't stick to continuity, and subsequent productions at the very least played fast and loose with that. Maybe the franchise should have ended with T2 in that regard.

TBF, once James Cameron was involved, he was only ever going to acknowledge his own films given he has pretty much hated every incarnation since T2.

I find, Salvation really blooms in the directors cut. The theatrical version had some pacing issues. The rhythm didn't really work. But I liked the story. And the action was great. At least my view.

I would love to see the real Director's Cut of that film, the one where it was actually Serena who met with Marcus, the T-800 succeeded in killing John and Marcus wears his skin. It'd be a trainwreck I couldn't help but be curious about.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I find, Salvation really blooms in the directors cut. The theatrical version had some pacing issues. The rhythm didn't really work. But I liked the story. And the action was great. At least my view.

I think I may have that version on Blu-ray, I need to check it out. My only real issue with the film storywise was having HBC be the "face" of SkyNet. Other than her fake American accent, which really grates, it turns something that should be cold, menacing and unfeeling into something else. Almost like having Xenomorphs with an audible inner monologue.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not making a new thread for this, but James Cameron has already started writing the next Terminator film, but is apparently waiting to see how AI pans out before proceeding. It almost sounds like a new IP-level sort of thing with the Terminator name.

SOURCE

• 10 months later...

"Piece of crap" is taking it too far. I liked many aspects of DARK FATE. But it wasn't the film I expected, given the return of Hamilton (and Cameron's supposed stamp of approval).

And since that post makes it seem like she genuinely didn't like it, here's the relevant quote:

“I don’t do a lot of regret,” she said. “I think in the end, it holds true that we regret what we didn’t do, not what we did. I’m very glad I went back. I loved [director Tim Miller], I love my ladies [Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes], and while I can’t say I love the film, that’s because I was so attached to it. I only saw it once. I felt like it was too fast. But we did so much good work, and it was the greatest time of my life, and the worst time of my life, all rolled into one film.”

She continued, “I was 63 or whatever I was, and it was the hardest shoot. Every day it was like a triathlon: ‘Now we’re going to swim for two hours and then we’re going to run for two hours.’ I read 40 books on that show. That’s all I could do, lie down and read, send my mind somewhere else, and rest my body.”

She doesn't say she hates it, just that she can't say she loved the film, and she's happy she got to do it anyway, even if it was a lot of hard work for her.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

"Piece of crap" is taking it too far. I liked many aspects of DARK FATE. But it wasn't the film I expected, given the return of Hamilton (and Cameron's supposed stamp of approval).

Agreed, Thor.

The biggest mistake they made was killing John Connor in first ten minutes.

At least it's better than whatever GENISYS was all about. Er... what was GENISYS all about? :unsure:

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed, Thor.

The biggest mistake they made was killing John Connor in first ten minutes.

At least it's better than whatever GENISYS was all about. Er... what was GENISYS all about? :unsure:

The weird thing there is that, by the rules of time travel that Dark Fate established (Skynet future stuff arriving into a timeline where Skynet does not exist any more for years afterward until the REV-9 and Grace appear) they actually had a way to sidestep John's death. All they'd have to have said was nobody else volunteered to be a protector, so John went back himself.

Not that it matters now anyway. The next film looks to be a total reset, without any of the characters or settings of the previous films.