89th Academy Awards (2017 Ceremony for 2016 films)

Disco Stu

2 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

What happened? I'm not watching it. I'm following it on IMDb.

Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway were presenting Best Picture.  Warren Beatty said the winner was La-La Land, and they all came up and starting giving their speeches.

Then someone came out and said there was a mistake and Moonlight actually won, and Kimmell confirmed it wasn't a mistake

Then Warren Beatty said when he opened the envelope, it said "Emma Stone Best Actress La-La Land" on it, which is why he said La-La Land won.

By that time the Moonlight guys were on stage, and they all gave their speeches

So I guess the only confusing part is why Beatty had the wrong envelope

I am genuinely surprised. I'm not sure it's deserving of it, but it is a fine film.

This will be all over the headlines tomorrow...at least Kimmel's playing it off well.

Kimmel handled it completely fine, as did the La La Land guys who said they were happy to give the statues to them

Yea, might be the best host since Hugh Jackman, who still holds the record for hosting one of the best ceremonies in recent memory.

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wish they had revoked Birdman's Oscar.

Wrong!

Just now, king mark said:

did they bring out another enveloppe to Warren Beaty or they really gave him the wrong one?

They accidentally gave him the Best Actress envelope. So he saw Emma Stone and La La Land on it and read it as such.

He should have said "I'm sorry, I seem to have the wrong envelope here" instead of saying La La Land won Best Picture!

So the BP nod goes to Hollywood's love letter to itself, but then they remember there was a movie this year that managed to cram almost every hot-button social talking point into itself... TO THEM!

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

So the BP nod goes to Hollywood's love letter to itself, but then they remember there was a movie this year that managed to cram almost every hot-button social talking point into itself... TO THEM!

Pretty much. Though they were both fine films.

I personally would have given it to Manchester.

2 minutes ago, Uni said:

But he handed it to Faye, who was the one who said "La La Land," right?

This is how I remember it, yes.

Just now, Uni said:

I wonder if this'll be on some Oscar montage in a future show.

It'll be on all of late night television tomorrow. Heck, we might even get a Trump tweet about it!

It's always odd to me when the Best Picture winner doesn't have Best Actor and/or Best Actress noms to go with it.  The only acting nom it gets is a guy whos in it for 5 minutes, none of the leads.  But its the best picture of the year.

They just showed a replay—it WAS Faye. Warren was stalling, because he thought something was wrong. (You can see him as the producers take the stage shaking his head.)

Just now, Jay said:

It's always odd to me when the Best Picture winner doesn't have Best Actor and/or Best Actress noms to go with it.  The only acting nom it gets is a guy whos in it for 5 minutes, none of the leads.  But its the best picture of the year.

It's not that rare, is it? Specially with esemble pieces

I don't think the best film of the year should necessarily have the best performances of the year. Those are both independent factors.

3 minutes ago, Uni said:

But he handed it to Faye, who was the one who said "La La Land," right?

Yeah Faye Dunaway was actually the one who said it. Warren opened it up and for some reason it seemed like they had accidentally reprinted Emma Stone's card in the BP envelope or something?? That's what I got out of his explanation....and he just looked around confused and so because he was taking so long Faye leaned over him and just read out La La Land.

In any case, lmfao.

1 minute ago, KK said:

I don't think the best film of the year should necessarily have the best performances of the year. Those are both independent factors.

Agreed. I like it when they're different. This was kinda like the upset the year Shakespeare in Love walked away with it.

I know. Warren Beaty—who really caught the mistake, and was trying to figure things out—winds up looking senile in front of millions.

5 minutes ago, Uni said:

They just showed a replay—it WAS Faye. Warren was stalling, because he thought something was wrong. (You can see him as the producers take the stage shaking his head.)

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah Faye Dunaway was actually the one who said it. Warren opened it up and for some reason it seemed like they had accidentally reprinted Emma Stone's card in the BP envelope or something?? That's what I got out of his explanation....and he just looked around confused and so because he was taking so long Faye leaned over him and just read out La La Land.

In any case, lmfao.

OK that explanation makes more sense.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

In any case, lmfao.

To revise, it looks like they just flat-out gave Warren the Best Actress envelope:

C5pehBcXEAEtj_o.jpg

Clusterfuck! One of the funniest things I've ever seen on live TV.

1 minute ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Remember when Best Picture winners were crowd pleasing films that you'd want to go and watch? These days they're always oppressive dramas about something topical.

Welcome to Hollywood, California. . . !

1 minute ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Remember when Best Picture winners were crowd pleasing films that you'd want to go and watch? These days they're always oppressive dramas about something topical.

Well this is why La La Land seemed like the betting favourite.

Can you guys imagine how much more awkward it would've been if the Best Actress winner was from a movie that nobody expected to win Best Picture and somebody had to tell the underdogs off the stage?

Don't the winners usually get to keep their envelopes as well? Could this all be blamed on Emma for not taking her mail with her?

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

Can you guys imagine how much more awkward it would've been if the Best Actress winner was from a movie that nobody expected to win Best Picture and somebody had to tell the underdogs off the stage?

That's just plain hilarious!

9 minutes ago, KK said:

Maybe this means Hilary can still win the election!

This is why the Oscars should NOT be decided by the Electoral College!!!