Which Summer 2017 blockbuster film and score are you most looking forward to?

Jay

What Summer 2017 film and score are you most looking forward to?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What summer 2017 FILM are you most looking forward to?

• The Fate of the Furious by F. Gary Gray
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 by James Gunn
    • King Arthur: Legend of the Sword by
    • Alien: Covenant by Ridley Scott
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales by Joachim Rønning & Espen Sandberg
    • Baywatch by Seth Gordon
    • Wonder Woman by Patty Jenkins
    • The Mummy by Alex Kurtzman
    • The Book Of Henry by Colin Trevorrow
    • Cars 3 by Brian Fee
    • Transformers: The Last Knight by Michael Bay
    • Despicable Me 3 by Pierre Coffin & Kyle Balda
    • Spider-Man: Homecoming by Jon Watts
    • War for the Planet of the Apes by Matt Reeves
    • Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan
    • Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets by Luc Besson
    • The Dark Tower by Nikolaj Arcel
  2. 2. What summer 2017 SCORE are you most looking forward to?

• The Fate of the Furious by Brian Tyler
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 by Tyler Bates
    • Alien: Covenant by Jed Kurzel
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales by Geoff Zanelli
    • Baywatch by Christopher Lennertz
    • Wonder Woman by Rupert Gregson-Williams
    • The Mummy by Brian Tyler
    • The Book Of Henry by Michael Giacchino
    • Cars 3 by Randy Newman
    • Transformers: The Last Knight by Steve Jablonsky
    • Despicable Me 3 by Heitor Pereira
    • Spider-Man: Homecoming by Michael Giacchino
    • War for the Planet of the Apes by Michael Giacchino
    • Dunkirk by Hans Zimmer
    • Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets by Alexandre Desplat
    • The Dark Tower by Junkie XL

Alien: Covenant for film.  Haven't been this excited for a Ridley Scott film in ages.

Spider-Man for score.  Hope Giacchino gives him a theme to rival Elfman's, which was not equaled by either Horner or Zimmer IMO.

Dunkirk looks like it might be a bit of a slog, but hopefully its rewarding.

Valerian looks fun and I have a feeling I'll like Desplat's score.

I'm hoping Giacchino rebounds from a subpar 2016 with a great 2017

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Alien: Covenant for film.  Haven't been this excited for a Ridley Scott film in ages.

What makes you more excited for Alien Covenant than you were for Prometheus?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What makes you more excited for Alien Covenant than you were for Prometheus?

Because I really liked Prometheus!  I wasn't excited at all for Prometheus back in 2012, didn't even see it in theaters.  Mostly because Scott at that time was on a run of pretty bad-to-mediocre films.  But he's made 2 movies I've really liked in the past 5 years (The Martian being the other one).

Granted, he's also made Exodus and The Counsellor in that time, which I haven't seen either of.

I voted for ALIEN: COVENANT for movie -- I'm more excited about this film than I've been any film in years (with the exception of FORCE AWAKENS and PROMETHEUS, perhaps, both of which delivered to my expectations!).

For score, I can't really say that I'm particularly excited about any of them. I'm more interested in the non-blockbuster stuff throughout the year. Except STAR WARS 8, but that's a fall film, not summer film. But I voted DUNKIRK, because the Zimmer/Nolan collaborations always deliver something interesting.

Yes I just focused on the blockbuster films for this poll, but there will of course be a bunch of indie and smaller studio films in the summer too, many of which could end up having great scores.  But that's for another thread!

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm not joking. But I've looked at both polls for a few minutes and decided I have no interest in any of them, film or score!

Not even Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman?

The first GOTG fell apart for me after I watched it on home video. Apart from the main characters there isnt much there.

Wonder Woman, I dunno. Yet another Superhero origin story?

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

When will find out that he's replacing Williams on The Last Jedi?

You can go too far you know!

2 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

When will find out that he's replacing Williams on The Last Jedi?

Don't fucking jinx it!  Knock on every wooden surface in reach!

If, God forbid, Williams health fails, you know that's who they're going to hire to finish the score, so it's not just a joke!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The first GOTG fell apart for me after I watched it on home video. Apart from the main characters there isnt much there.

Agreed. It's one of those films with which you quickly realize, when watching it a second time, that it's really nothing special. Sure, the characters are fun (even if they overdo the "oh, look at us, we're so cool" shtick, and it seems it's even worse in the sequel), but the story, the villain, etc... It's all rather average. The universe is colourful, so I guess there's that, but frankly, I don't remember the name of any place, or any creature, nor is there really any design among those that stood out in some way. It's... OK. Nothing more.

Dunkirk would seem to have the most potential. Looking forward to Alien and Apes too and I'm even feeling good about the Marvel stuff for once, as opposed to the usual envisioning myself being dragged along by someone.

Desplat's Valerian is the most exciting prospect for sure. Zimmer will do a fine job with Dunkirk but I'm not sure if it'll add anything new to the "solemn/important" side of his ouevre. Gia's stuff, I'll listen but more intrigued by Coco (if he's in fact doing that). 

Film:  

War and the Planet of the Apes - Dawn was quite good. An engaging and dramatically satisfying film that's on a smaller scale and of more deliberate pacing than most blockbusters today.  I have good faith that this one will be good too.

Score:

Dunkirk: Zimmer's Nolan scores are always interesting. 

I've enjoyed all of Nolan's films outside of Dark Knight Rises, but Dunkirk looks to be the least interesting (to me) subject / genre he's tackled.  I hope to be proven wrong when I sit down in the theater!

Who the fuck cares if the alternative is another elephantine 3-hour war movie in greys and adagio moods?

PS: i know 'Skull Island' is technically a spring movie but that trailer also resembles the Jackson one on a very bad trip. Will the score be a revelation?

54 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yeah, I'm sure that approach would yield a totally congruous result.

LOL, indeed! Personally, I absolutely adore " elephantine 3-hour war movie in greys and adagio moods", and Nolan is the man to do it, so I'm looking forward to this film (and score) immensely.

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've enjoyed all of Nolan's films outside of Dark Knight Rises, but Dunkirk looks to be the least interesting (to me) subject / genre he's tackled.  I hope to be proven wrong when I sit down in the theater!

I'm sort of hoping Dunkirk is the next big overhaul of cinematic warfare, like what Saving Private Ryan was. Isn't that what Nolan does? 

I'm not really a big fan of his, but I do like a good war film.