John Williams Film Night, Boston Symphony Hall, May 31 & June 1, 2017

I could not find a thread about this, so apologies if there is one.

I called Symphony Hall to ask about a date. The guy who answered said June, before realizing that info had not been made public yet. He them transferred me to the ticket office who could not give me any info on the matter and asked me to call back in a few weeks.

Yea, I've been looking forward to the official announcement.  I wonder what the holdup is with announcing everything?  Williams' health again?

Doubtful. A June date seems to be on the cards, they just haven't announced it yet. Pity, because it would actually be quite helpful if they did.

[edit]

I wonder if it's simply a business descision on the part of Symphony Hall. They have to sell tickets. Boston sells out easier because it has far fewer seats than Tanglewood, which will have 3 Williams concerts this season. So they are concentrating on getting those out the door before announcing Boston.

I was up to my eyes with my final year college project in May last year so I couldn't make the trip to Boston. I'm almost certainly going to go this year. Will be my third Boston Pops concert and fifth time seeing JW in concert.

5 minutes ago, Damien F said:

The weekday only performances is unusual. I wonder if are the EP8 session schedule is to blame - perhaps he must be back in LA that weekend.

Possibly, or his schedule is quite tight to finish KOEM in Q3 so he can focus on RP1 and TLJ rewrites in Q4.

7 hours ago, rpvee said:

Strange there'd only be two dates, and on weekdays no less.  Isn't there always at least a Saturday performance?

For the BSO this is perfect scheduling.  these concerts are guaranteed sellouts, regardless of the day they fall on.  The weekend can them be used for other concerts. 

On 25.1.2017 at 9:02 AM, Stefancos said:

Agreed. Also its a lot easier for me transport wise.

How can you afford all these trips to the US every other year? Aren't you living off of benefits?

How much money do you earn a month? How much tax do you pay?

Are you circumcised or not?

Have you ever got drunk and sucked off another man?

Have you ever had a sexual fantasy about your mother that you masturbated too?

If you answer all these questions for me, then I might be willing to discuss my income!

I work, even though I can't work fulltime.

But in the last few years, mostly by necessity I've become very good in saving money, mainly by using common sense.

It's actually rather satisfying that for the first time in my adult life I'm completely debt free.

Wow, they're really going big on Williams concerts this year! Six are scheduled! (although one isn't focused on him; they'll just play some of his music)

Hope they're broadcast on radio (obviously the birthday one will be on CD and maybe radio too). 

Question for those who were at last year's Film Night - how does the split between JW and Lockhart work? Does Lockhart conduct the first half and JW the second half? If so, do we not see JW at all until the second half?

18 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Question for those who were at last year's Film Night - how does the split between JW and Lockhart work? Does Lockhart conduct the first half and JW the second half?

Wasn't there but listened to it. Lockhart did the first half and JW the second:

Spoiler

Keith Lockhart Conducting:

• Prelude to Ben-Hur
  • Love Theme from Out of Africa
  • Main Title, Fountain Theme, and Chez Maxim Waltz from Gigi
  • Opening Sequence from Star Trek Into Darkness
  • Harry’s Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • The Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark

John Wiliams Conducting:

• Star Wars Main Title from Star Wars
  • Rey’s Theme from Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • March of the Resistance from Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Princess Leia’s Theme from Star Wars
  • The Asteroid Field from The Empire Strikes Back
  • Luke and Leia from Return of the Jedi
  • Scherzo for X-Wings from Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • The Jedi Steps and Finale from Star Wars: The Force Awakens (with accompanying film montage)
    ENCORES
  • Yoda’s Theme from The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back
  • Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

If so, do we not see JW at all until the second half?

I don't think JW is on stage at all until the second half starts (although he might be in the audience?). @Jay?

By the sounds of this announcement I'm expecting (and hoping) that something similar will again be on tap for the Hollywood Bowl come September. I don't mind a split podium but I'm also greedy enough to say I'd love it to be 100% Williams. Even if they have to extend the intermission so he can rest. But any Williams is better than none.

For those able to go to these performances, have a great time and let us know how it went!

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Like how JWFangirl once ran after Williams' car after a concert?

Did that seriously happen? :lol:

As a side note, Johnny has an interesting (i.e. rather old-fashioned) wardrobe in the birthday concert promo photo. :lol:

My favorite Williams attire though has to be the hilariously massive coat/sweater at the 2002 Olympics opening ceremony:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking forward to this concert - it's my reward for finishing year two of medical school! Also, I have an extra ticket available for the concert on the 31st. Nice seat, Row S, section 3 or 4. There are a few tickets still available through StubHub, etc... but if it comes down to it and you need a ticket, let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year to Boston.

If interested, I have 1 ticket for each concert night available:

Jun 01, 2017 8:00 PM
John Williams' Film Night
Symphony Hall | Boston, MA
Section Orchestra Sec 3 | Row A | Seat 5

May 31, 2017 8:00 PM
John Williams' Film Night
Symphony Hall | Boston, MA
Section Orchestra Sec 104 | Row A | Seat 3

Tickets were $66 each, PM me if interested... 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if we'll get any VIII nuggets during the show? After all, he announced he was soon watching the film in his concerts last year, now he's practically finished on it!

Lucky. Never take it for granted. I live in England and a couple of years ago I booked flights and hotels and everything to see Williams conduct his Boston concerts, but that was the year he cancelled because of medical problems. I was just glad he was okay, but I was devastated to have to cancel the trip and not see Williams in person. I doubt I ever will now.