John Williams Film Night, Boston Symphony Hall, May 31 & June 1, 2017

15 hours ago, Richard said:

Why does everybody refer to it as DEVIL'S DANCE?

b/c that is what the composer calls it.

Concert review from Soundtrack Fest:

http://soundtrackfest.com/en/articles/john-williams-film-night-boston-5312017/

Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (Theme from Jaws / Star Wars Main Title / The Raiders March / Flying from E.T.):

I may have had a disaster a few years ago when he cancelled, and I had to cancel flights hotels etc, but I will definitely be going next year. Just hope he doesn't cancel again.

3 hours ago, Ricard said:

He said how he’s been working on Episode VIII this year, which will come out next December, and how when he was approached to work on the music of episode VII, he had no doubt in his answer: YES. He also said that he fell in love with Daisy Ridley and her performance in the movie as Rey, and that in fact Rey’s theme is Daisy’s theme for him.

Hehehe Johnny angel baby has been wooing Daisy with Rey's theme all along. :lol: 

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

Hehehe Johnny angel baby has been wooing Daisy with Rey's theme all along. :lol: 

I love the evolution of that anecdote over the last 12 months. :lol:

May 2016: Kathy Kennedy said to me, would you like to do the 8th one next year? I said, well, I don't know, I'm not sure if I can do that...

August 2016: Kathy Kennedy called me a few weeks ago and said would you like to do the new Star Wars? And I said, well, yes, I think I would...

Last weekWhen he was approached to work on the music of Episode VIII, he had no doubt in his answer: YES. 

Great write-up!

So "The BFG" suite has a new title: "A Child's Tale."  Interesting!  Williams sure does like to play around with titles.

Great to hear that he performed "A New Beginning," a piece that deserves to sit alongside his greatest work.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Great write-up!

So "The BFG" suite has a new title: "A Child's Tale."  Interesting!  Williams sure does like to play around with titles.

A child's tale from a very forgettable movie! Wise man.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

A child's tale from a very forgettable movie! Wise man.

For a "very forgettable movie," you seem to complain about it a lot. 

Thank you guys.

I just want to add that it was such a great pleasure to finally meet Jay in person after all these years of online friendship. We spent some time together before the concert and we talked shop for a while, but it was surely too short. I definitely hope to meet him again very soon!

I read a news very quickly on FB, is John williams wrote a new work about John F. Kennedy? I think it was performed june 18. Any info about that?

“Let the Word Go Forth: JFK in His Own Words” (music from the film JFK and Celebration 2000: American Journey)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/06/18/cece-winans-leads-swinging-gospel-night-pops/SBFZYggEc8r80RXgKbBOvM/story.html

Now I found this not very new piece was also played in 2013.  So it's not new, but, what is it exactly?

On 6/19/2017 at 5:10 PM, Bespin said:

I read a news very quickly on FB, is John williams wrote a new work about John F. Kennedy? I think it was performed june 18. Any info about that?

“Let the Word Go Forth: JFK in His Own Words” (music from the film JFK and Celebration 2000: American Journey)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/06/18/cece-winans-leads-swinging-gospel-night-pops/SBFZYggEc8r80RXgKbBOvM/story.html

Now I found this not very new piece was also played in 2013.  So it's not new, but, what is it exactly?

It's a mashup of the JFK theme and the "Flight and Technology" movement from American Journey (skip to 7:19):

Very cool, thanks @KingPin. It is indeed completely old music -- nothing new, not even transitions. But it's a cool combo with the beautiful speeches. 

In 2010 Lockhart and the Boston Pops commissioned Peter Boyer to compose something very similar, music to accompany narrators as they recited famous lines from John, Robert, and Ted Kennedy.  It's a great piece; The Dream Lives On: A Portrait of the Kennedy Brothers.  Narrated by Cherry Jones, with Robert DeNiro, Ed Harris, and Morgan Freeman reciting John, Robert, and Ted, respectively.

It's incredibly (and quite intentionally) Williams-esque:

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2017 at 1:04 AM, Matt S. said:

In 2010 Lockhart and the Boston Pops commissioned Peter Boyer to compose something very similar, music to accompany narrators as they recited famous lines from John, Robert, and Ted Kennedy.  It's a great piece; The Dream Lives On: A Portrait of the Kennedy Brothers.  Narrated by Cherry Jones, with Robert DeNiro, Ed Harris, and Morgan Freeman reciting John, Robert, and Ted, respectively.

It's incredibly (and quite intentionally) Williams-esque:

Boyer's first symphony has some Williams influence to it as well, but in a good way.

Yes a rousing performance!  Lockhart is such a great fit for this (I know, not an earthshaking observation almost 25 years in).

I'm confused.  I thought this was the concert from a few weeks ago that was all Williams music?  They've played the William Tell Overture and now the 3rd movement from Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20

1 minute ago, Miguel Andrade said:

First half is from the Arthur Fiedler night -- it's appropriate to have Pops on the March as that was dedicated to the memory of Williams predecessor.

Ahhh I didn't realize that.  So the first half is from May 24th and the second half will be the Williams conducted portion of the concert from May 31st?

Love these Leroy Anderson selections, he's still the consummate pops composer.  That old 2-disc Leroy Anderson Collection compilation was a childhood favorite.

I got to play "Buglers Holiday" (badly) with the trumpet section of the band I'm in this past spring!

That performance of Scherzo for X-Wings was super fast but awesome!

Still don't quite understand why the OST version is so much slower. Perhaps he couldn't conduct the faster tempo at the time due to his health?

Brass seemed low to me at the beginning of the scherzo. But this piece truly benefits from the faster tempo ! Great performance !

The highlight is the march, such a great energy in this piece.