R.I.P. John Hurt

crumbs

Gutted about this news. I only just watched Snowpiercer last night and was wondering how old he was/if he had any new films on the horizon. Just a brilliant actor who elevated every film he starred in. 

The legendary John Hurt has died at the age of 77. Hurt recently battled pancreatic cancer but was given the all clear in late 2015.

Hurt contemplated his demise during an interview he did in 2015 while fighting the disease: “I can’t say I worry about mortality, but it’s impossible to get to my age and not have a little contemplation of it. We’re all just passing time, and occupy our chair very briefly.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4166046/Actor-John-Hurt-dies-cancer-aged-77.html

Yep, always pleasantly surprised when watching a film to see him turn up unexpectedly. Such a brilliant actor and iconic voice. Alien, Elephant Man, 1984, V For Vendetta, Harry Potter the list goes on. :(

Cancer is a prick!

And he was still as prodigious as ever, with 4 more acting roles in 2017 alone, and 10 different roles in the last 2 years. Inspiring that he didn't let his sickness slow him down.

A true master of his craft.  I still don't think I could make it through The Elephant Man without crying.

1 minute ago, Daniel Clamp said:

The first character from Alien to die... the first actor from Alien to die.

Nope... Bolaji Badejo died 25 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

The first character from Alien to die... the first actor from Alien to die.

Helen Horton (voice of Mother) passed away in 1999.

But yeah, there's some serious longevity in the Alien actors. Tom Skeritt is 83, Ian Holm is 85, Harry Dean Stanton is 90.

43 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Nope... Bolaji Badejo died 25 years ago.

I knew some wise guy would jump on that. He doesn't count because he wasn't playing a human and didn't show his face. I wouldn't count the dwarfs playing Dallas, Kane and Lambert in the spacesuits either.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Helen Horton (voice of Mother) passed away in 1999.

But yeah, there's some serious longevity in the Alien actors. Tom Skeritt is 83, Ian Holm is 85, Harry Dean Stanton is 90.

Yaphet Kotto's only 77... I figured he was a lot older than that.

Farewell, Caligula,

Farewell, Stephen Ward,

Farewell, Kane,

Farewell, John Merrick,

Farewell, Mr. Olivander,

Farewell, Bob Champion,

Farewell, J.R. Haddon.

Farewell, The War Doctor,

Farewell, Richard Rich,

Farewell, Timothy Evans,

Farewell, to the greatest, and my all-time favourite post-war actor, ever.

R.I.P. Mr. Hurt, you were my lucky star.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

uC6Gsz3.jpg

God that film was an exceptional waste of his talent. I have no idea why Spielberg pursued an actor of Hurt's caliber for such a useless, neutered role.

Very sad news. ALIEN being one of my top 3 favourite films of all time, and his role in that having immense impact on me as a kid, for obvious reasons. But he did so many other great things as well. Such a fine, understated actor. :(

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

God that film was an exceptional waste of his talent. I have no idea why Spielberg pursued an actor of Hurt's caliber for such a useless, neutered role.

Indeed. Everything about it was misguided, including Hurt's casting. 

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Indeed. Everything about it was misguided, including Hurt's casting. 

His involvement was one of the things I was most excited with Indy 4. Just another reason people are so bitter about KOTCS; a complete waste of talent in every aspect.

Anyway, I really need to binge on some John Hurt films. I still haven't seen The Elephant Man.

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

He had a long and varied career of course, but I'll mostly remember him for Alien and the marvellously crabby-but-twinkly War Doctor.

R.I.P.

Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols.

Also on the theme of how Ten and Eleven hold their sonics - 'What are you going to do? Build a cabinet at them?' 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

KOTCS; a complete waste of talent in every aspect

I'd forgotten he was even it, showing how forgettable that  misguided ressurection was for me.

He was good in The Hurt Locker., though.