John Williams returns to Chicago -- April 26-29, 2018 (*Full concert now available online*)

Mari

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I have had the opportunity to hear JW with the CSO before.  I had tickets in the dark purple/$38 section.  They were actually excellent seats given how the balcony hangs close to the main stage.  If you are financially strapped, I would suggest those. 

Yeah, I've been in those too (for live to projection) and they're great.

The only reason I'd want other seats for this concert is that I want to be closer to JW (i.e. be on the main floor - although I am worried that the prices could be way up from what they were for the LTP concerts). 

I'm going to do this, never seen Johnny live. Bad thing is, that the wife want to travel too so this turned out to be class B Journey:wub:

I want to hear 2-3 concerts if they are different program, I do not understand the ticket policy?

5 hours ago, hornist said:

I'm going to do this, never seen Johnny live. Bad thing is, that the wife want to travel too so this turned out to be class B Journey:wub:

I want to hear 2-3 concerts if they are different program, I do not understand the ticket policy?

The programs haven't been announced, but there will be four concerts. According to the website, April 26 and 28 will apparently be the same program, with April 27 and April 29 possibly being different, as best I can tell. That said, I'm taking this with a heavy grain of salt. 

Tickets officially go on sale in August. Around then I assume they'll get programs up and we can be sure about all this stuff. 

You can see how things worked for the three 2013 concerts here:

https://www.jwfan.com/?p=6318

8 hours ago, hornist said:

What's wrong with taking your wife? You married her because you love her, no? 

I wish I had a wife interested in traveling with me and attending a John Williams concert (or a few). Best I have is a friend who loves his music but unsure what the possible relationship possibilities may be.

I'll be at the Hollywood bowl alone as I was the first time. Last time I took my mom. Well alone if I can't get a friend who says he loves Williams and hums all the hits in his various YouTube vlogs to go.

On 4/9/2017 at 1:37 AM, hornist said:

Of course it is lovely that my wife will join me, I just tried to be funny. She is also a musician and I cannot think any musician who doesn't love John Towner.

Oh, ok. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Good thing she didn't marry you for your sense of humor ;)

• 3 months later...

To anyone who's attended past CSO Williams concerts, or other Williams concerts:

How fast do tickets usually sell?

They go on sale for this one on August 11. The problem is that the programs, which will likely be different between concerts, aren't up, and there's no guarantee they'll be up by the time tickets go on sale (particularly given that several selections may be from TLJ, which won't be released for a while). But can I afford to wait until closer to the concert, or, if I want seats in a certain place, do I need to just jump on tickets even if the program isn't there? 

@Tom and @mrbellamy, I think you've attended past CSO Williams concerts. 

Any insight to my question below?

21 hours ago, Will said:

To anyone who's attended past CSO Williams concerts, or other Williams concerts:

How fast do tickets usually sell?

They go on sale for this one on August 11. The problem is that the programs, which will likely be different between concerts, aren't up, and there's no guarantee they'll be up by the time tickets go on sale (particularly given that several selections may be from TLJ, which won't be released for a while). But can I afford to wait until closer to the concert, or, if I want seats in a certain place, do I need to just jump on tickets even if the program isn't there? 

Not sure, never bought tickets this far in advance. I was just gonna wait for the programs to be published since that's what I've usually done (last time Williams was here I bought gallery seats only a month before the performance) but he's usually come in the fall not spring so it was closer to when tickets were first available, anyway. 

My guess is most people are just gonna wait for the programs before buying a seat so unless you're really particular about where you sit or you need to plan way in advance, then you're probably fine. Subscribers will fill up a good chunk, though, for sure.

If it was only a weekend show, I would say 24 hours at the most.  With two extra nights, some nosebleeds might be available for a couple days.  I would be as aggressive as possible. 

:up:

So I think I'll wait until the programs are out. Although I will check tomorrow afternoon and if main floor seats are going really fast (that's where I want to sit, so I'm close to the maestro) I may have to just jump on some.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw @Tom's post, which seems to indicate a radically different situation. Hmm. 

EDIT #2: So I'll definitely have my phone with me at 11 a.m. ET tomorrow just in case! Unfortunately I won't be able to be at a computer until a little later, which would be easier, so I hope tickets don't go fast. 

I'm going to go scout out the concert dates again, just in case I need to move fast and can't see the programs. I need to be prepared. I'm kind of stressed right now. :unsure:

Well I did it. Tickets are already on sale, apparently (to my incredible shock, at first!) and they're going pretty fast, despite programs not being up. One concert (Friday) has barely any seats left. 

Saturday night, two tickets, main floor, right side (from conductor's view), row E, $151 each. I cringe when I see that number, but I decided that for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, it had to be worth it. 

I was planning to get seats in the middle, but a musician in my family suggested the right side because Williams would look over at the violins a lot and you could see his profile from there, rather than just his back. 

Tonight was a very stressful night, but I'm glad I don't have to worry now about getting a seat. I can just look forward to the experience of a lifetime. 

59 minutes ago, BuzzLightyear said:

What's different with the sunday show?
The tickets are cheaper

Since we have no idea what the programs will be, we don't know what the difference is, if any. The tickets could just be cheaper because it's an afternoon concert. 

I was considering Sunday (and still kind of regret not going for it since tickets are $30 cheaper) but for some reason I kind of preferred a night concert. 

Friday is just about gone, Saturday was basically there too when I managed to finally get the website to reserve seats. I was going to wait for the program details but saw the seats going and ended up paying more than I wanted to for seats (needed 2 beside each other). I did manage to get Saturday tickets, not sure about Sunday availability. The names were all 'John Williams Returns' but then the different dates had slightly different titles. This will be my FIRST JW concert so I just want to hear a lot of his classics ... hope that's the case. course from what I hear I should pray/hope that he actually shows up and remains in good health too.

Just an FYI

Confirmed with the CSO folks that the concerts while titled differently on the website will all be the same concert. At least if all goes to plan. Their words: "Mr. Williams hasn’t quite decided what it will be yet, however we can confirm that all dates of the concert will feature the same program."

26 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Each concert will contain ten variations of "A Toast!"

Increasingly dissonant and disjointed after each drink.

enjoy the concert to those who are going. 

So jealous of those going to this!! Very, very tempting to go to Chicago again ;)

I would happily sit and listen to the Chicago Symphony play anything with a big cheesy grin on my face.

Making the pilgrimage to hear them live is one of the best decisions a music lover could ever make!

• 4 weeks later...

In case people were curious about some of the seating, these were my seats back in 2013 for his visit to Chicago.

Lower Balcony Left Aisle 2 Row: B  Seat: 1

IMG_1855.jpg

Main Floor Left Aisle 2 Row: M  Seat: 1 

IMG_1665.jpg

Since there's been some autograph discussion in other threads, I thought now would be a good time to ask about the situation in Chicago. Anyone succeeded here in the past?

I don't really have much interest in an autograph per se, but it would be really cool to stand face to face with my hero! Of course, in some sense it would also be embarrassing - I'm not sure if I want JW's only impression of me to be as "one of those rabid idiot fans" or whatever he thinks of us LOL. So perhaps meeting him would really only be good if he had reason to respect me. But it's not like I have much of a choice if I want to meet him, given how old he is and how young I am. 

If I did get him to sign something I would probably want to bring a really obscure score or something just to show him that I was a real fan, not one of those "I luv the Star wars's songs" people. 

IIRC he did sign some autographs after the 2009 concerts, but in 2013 they had the rear entrance (through which JW leaves) blocked off so you couldn't really get all that close to it, and he got straight in his car and took off.

So it wouldn't hurt to hang around the rear entrance before/after the show, but it's probably pretty unlikely.

I'm seriously considering flying over from England for this. I was devastated when he cancelled his Boston concerts a couple of years ago and I lost money too from cancelling that trip, so I was left a little scarred for any future attempts at FINALLY witnessing Williams conducting in-person. It's a damn big dream of mine. 

Does anyone know when they usually announce the Boston concerts? Because if I miss this then I definitely don't want to miss him in Boston.

15 hours ago, chinaismine said:

IIRC he did sign some autographs after the 2009 concerts, but in 2013 they had the rear entrance (through which JW leaves) blocked off so you couldn't really get all that close to it, and he got straight in his car and took off.

So it wouldn't hurt to hang around the rear entrance before/after the show, but it's probably pretty unlikely.

Thanks for the info! Where is this rear entrance you speak of? Is it somewhere back here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8788914,-87.6261319,3a,90y,73.65h,89.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB0RMQqDiADCtzXXi336-HA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

7 hours ago, Will said:

Thanks for the info! Where is this rear entrance you speak of? Is it somewhere back here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8788914,-87.6261319,3a,90y,73.65h,89.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB0RMQqDiADCtzXXi336-HA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't recall exactly where it is, but I believe it was somewhere back there, yes.

How likely is it though, that Williams will be able to conduct 4 consecutive concerts? And stand for 2 hours for each one? I'm very concerned that he'll cancel and I'll lose like a thousand of her majesty's pounds.

I mean he only does half the concert in Boston and only did half the recent Nashville concert. I just don't believe he can do 4 in a row.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go. Screw money! Money can be re-earned, but life can't be re-lived. I might buy tickets for all 4. 

Does anyone have an accurate seating plan so i can see where the hell I'll be sitting? All others that i've found don't list seat numbers or anything.

Anyone know if this is a good seat?

Lower Balcony Ctr Rght Aisle 3

F-108 $145.00

It's so confusing...

15 hours ago, Jay said:

They usually announce Boston in February or so and the concerts are always late May / early June

I might do Boston next year.  Mulling over my options.  It would just be a weekend visit specifically for the concert, like I did a few years ago.

Can't believe I missed the start of the sale for these concerts. Lucky there are still some tickets left. Anyway, I bought tickets for the Saturday and Sunday concerts. Was in Chicago in 2006 and always wanted to return so now's my opportunity.

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

How likely is it though, that Williams will be able to conduct 4 consecutive concerts? And stand for 2 hours for each one? I'm very concerned that he'll cancel and I'll lose like a thousand of her majesty's pounds.

I mean he only does half the concert in Boston and only did half the recent Nashville concert. I just don't believe he can do 4 in a row.

As much as I hope otherwise, I am virtually certain that he will only conduct the second half of each CSO concert. It's fairly common practice for orchestras to initially list Williams as the sole conductor but then add a second conductor as it gets closer. 

Even so, though, you're right, it's a little worrisome. I don't think he's done more than two concerts in a row for several years, maybe even since the last time he was in Chicago (2013). Now I'm kind of regretting buying tickets for the third night...

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go. Screw money! Money can be re-earned, but life can't be re-lived. I might buy tickets for all 4. 

Does anyone have an accurate seating plan so i can see where the hell I'll be sitting? All others that i've found don't list seat numbers or anything.

Anyone know if this is a good seat?

Lower Balcony Ctr Rght Aisle 3

F-108 $145.00

It's so confusing...

I think anywhere on the lower balcony is pretty good. I believe the front of the lower balcony is considered the best place to sit in the hall, although I've never been in the lower balcony myself (I'm sitting on the main floor for this so I can be close to JW). Have you used the "view from my seats" function on the CSO website?

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there will be "pre-concert conversations" with Richard Kaufman before all four concerts:

https://cso.org/ticketsandevents/production-details-2017-18/cso-movies/cso-movies-john-williams-returns/

Presumably that means Kaufman will handle the first half of each concert? 

No, it means exactly what it says.  Concert starts at 8pm and a 30 minute pre-concert conversation will occur at 7pm with Kaufman.  It's certainly possible that they arranged it just in case Williams needed a go-to for the first half, but it's a bit early to say.

15 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

No, it means exactly what it says.  Concert starts at 8pm and a 30 minute pre-concert conversation will occur at 7pm with Kaufman.  It's certainly possible that they arranged it just in case Williams needed a go-to for the first half, but it's a bit early to say.

I'm just referring to the fact that in all but one recent Williams concert (Seattle) there has been another conductor for the first half. Add to that the fact that he hasn't done four concerts in a row any time in the last few years, and I unfortunately don't think there's much doubt that someone else, probably Kaufman, will share the podium.