John Williams returns to Chicago -- April 26-29, 2018 (*Full concert now available online*)

Mari

Here is the ROTS version, with the cut:

And here is the regular arrangement without the cut:

Can anyone remember which one was done at the concert? Thanks!!

This year for me has become the ultra year of Williams. The concerts I'm attending this year are as follows;

Jaws in Concert (done)

Williams Conducting in Chicago (done)

Williams Conducting in Baltimore

Williams Conducting in London

Jurassic Park in Concert

Raiders of the Lost Ark in Concert

Home Alone in Concert.

• 8 months later...

Thanks, Ricard. I'm wondering, how can you tell which night this concert was recorded? I'm interested to know because I was at the April 26 concert and would like to have a recording of that night specifically.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I'm wondering, how can you tell which night this concert was recorded?

The CSO announced that they would record the April 26 concert "for a possible future broadcast".

http://www.wbaa.org/post/cso-john-williams-426-preview#stream/0

Thanks again. However, perhaps they recorded another evening as well, because the concert from CSO Radio includes Geisha encores performed by Yo-Yo Ma. I was pretty sleepy during the concert, but I feel like I would have remembered that! Have there been any reports on which evening(s) included those encores?

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Thanks again. However, perhaps they recorded another evening as well, because the concert from CSO Radio includes Geisha encores performed by Yo-Yo Ma. I was pretty sleepy during the concert, but I feel like I would have remembered that! Have there been any reports on which evening(s) included those encores?

I am virtually certain that the Yo-Yo Ma pieces were from a prior year's concert (probably the CSO suite recording that's long been available on CD). Ma didn't appear at any of the 2018 concerts (certainly not the one I went to!) 

Okay, yeah, skipping ahead to that point in the broadcast, they explain that the Geisha pieces are from 2008. It's confusing that the page credits Yo-Yo Ma on every track.

So it looks like this is most likely the April 26th concert after all. Thanks everyone for clearing that up!

56 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

You a Chicago boy too!?

No, an Atlanta boi! But JW has only been to Atlanta once since the Olympics in 1996, so I usually travel to see him. Last year was my first time seeing him with the CSO. It seems like something of a tradition for him, so I thought it would be cool. And a nice excuse to visit Chicago  :)

On 1/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, Ricard said:

The April 26 concert is now available online for your listening pleasure :)
https://csosoundsandstories.org/cso-radio-john-williams-returns/

Cool! I’ll definitely listen to it.

There is no recording of the whole concert? We have to download it track by track, really?

EDIT : OK I now see the first track is the whole show...  one more coffee please....

128 mp3? Really?

Note that a couple of tracks are missing from the track-by-track playlist. Flight to Neverland and the Imperial March can only be heard in the full broadcast. And the Throne Room is available individually, but only on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/chicagosymphony/williams-throne-room-and-end