Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

Neat.

But isn't it time someone corrects the spelling of the director in the headline? It's been bugging me for ages now.

Never read the book, but that's a whole lot of characters and narrative threads that the film has to negotiate!

22 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Think it's time to finish the book. I started reading it in 2004. 😆

Karol

Now that's a promising sign...

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Think it's time to finish the book. I started reading it in 2004.

I know Dune by name and I know a bit of the iconography (giant worms) but because I too haven't read it thus far, I would personally rather wait until after the movie, so that I can judge the film as one should: as a film.

Same with movie remakes of films that I haven't seen (e.g. the upcoming Wild Bunch remake).

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I know Dune by name and I know a bit of the iconography (giant worms) but because I too haven't read it thus far, I would personally rather wait until after the movie, so that I can judge the film as one should: as a film.

I generally try to read the book first before watching the film version (if I'm intested in the book), so that I can judge the book as one should.

A new film coming up is a great excuse to finally get to read the book. Wonder if I'l manage to get through it in time. :P

Next? They probably have the 00's LOTR phenomenon in mind, instead.

Personally, I just find it a boring choice for a movie space-opera adaptation, but Hollywood has this brutal inertia in getting to do things that it might as well be necessary to get oter people to do other more fun things twenty years from now.

The thing with the Atreides is that they ARE a feudal aristocratic family and they DO use the Fremen as pawns for their own benefit (In a different way the other houses do), and Paul does so being prescient of a future where billions die while brooding about "not being able to stop it" (??)*. There's probably going to be a) a lot of confused Kylo Ren-like discourse about whether moviegoers like the character or not and why, and b) stupid takes based on interpreting themes in reverse (whether the books succeed in their subversion of tropes I just don't remember at this point, it's been a while...)

I also imagine the movie will be more or less literal to the book, meaning the ecology aspect will remain the same, unexpanded, and secondary, which is boring to me.

*I should also mention the Fremen become fanatic murderous bastards so there's not a whole lot to hang onto here. Fans of 40k may be interested on a similar grimdark space-opera thing without some of the silliness they know.

Anti-heroic characters and the split-in-half that's going to give us "exposition: the movie" are some of the reasons I imagine this movie having trouble, but maybe I'm wrong and it works with the zeitgeist, who knows.

Things that could give us a more complete narrative could be: more Liet, more Chani, and more Irulan (in the book she's a footnote. She's not in this one)

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

Things that could give us a more complete narrative could be: more Liet, more Chani, and more Irulan (in the book she's a footnote. She's not in this one)

She will be in Part 2, if it ever gets done

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Irulan, you must leave.

Irulan, for this version of the movie we have replaced you with the technical god of this universe.

On 4/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, Thor said:

Neat.

But isn't it time someone corrects the spelling of the director in the headline? It's been bugging me for ages now.

If I was this Villenueve guy, I would so get my name on the back of a Villanova basketball jersey. 

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

It's gonna be hilarious if they only manage to adapt half the book

Hang on a minute, I'm paging Ralph Bakshi.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, Romão said:

For sure, it's one of the biggest challenges in adapting it. That's why they are doing it over two movies

They should bring in Peter Jackson and split it into three parts.

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

It's gonna be hilarious if they only manage to adapt half the book

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Hang on a minute, I'm paging Ralph Bakshi.

It always helps naming the film after the whole book, with no indication that it's supposed to be first of two parts. Especially if it ends in the middle of the story without anything to suggest that it's not actually the end of it.

As a kid, I was endlessly confused by the ending of Bakshi's LOTR, before I read the books.

The actual book is divided in 3 parts and their titles might be give some ideas of the names they might give to the two parts:

Part I - Dune

Part II - Muad'Dib

Part III - The Prophet

10 minutes ago, Romão said:

The actual book is divided in 3 parts and their titles might be give some ideas of the names they might give to the two parts:

Part I - Dune

Part II - Muad'Dib

Part III - The Prophet

Ah, I don't remember that. I want to re-read it before the film comes out, if I find the time.

Still, it's a bit unfortunate that the first part/film and the whole book have the same title. It'll confuse people who haven't read it and don't know the film only covers the first part.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ah, I don't remember that. I want to re-read it before the film comes out, if I find the time.

Just watch the older film. :)

6 minutes ago, Romão said:

They will probably just call it Dune and Dune Part II

Dune! Part Deux

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Part II - Muad'Dib

For a movie in a fictional setting that's...that's just plain arabic.

Is this going to be prevalent in the movie?

Oh yes, a lot of the names and concepts are Arabic in origin, amongst many other origins for other names and concepts.

And the Dune universe is of course fictional but not totally 100% detached from history. A lot of the ideas and concepts are aluded to be derived from old Earth History (or Old Terra, as they call it)