Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

Massive blockbuster productions require a different skillset. Having bold artistic vision is great and all, but it's not exactly going to save you from mismanagement. negotiating a whole bunch of moving parts in a big studio picture and pitching/compromising with exec head interests. These are things folks like Abrahms are good at, even if his films are vanilla as heck. With so much money at stake, a lot of these pictures need someone who can run a tight ship rather than someone with great artistry to make it to the theatres. 

With that said, there was a time when the two weren't mutually exclusive. But with the financial divide between the blockbuster and independent cinema growing ever larger, this is becoming more of a rarity. Now, the last person to successfully transition from the indie circuit, with a real voice of their own was Villeneuve.

Villeneuve claims he only makes movies on his terms without anyone interfering. If Dune fails at the BO, it's back to indie filmmaking, I'm afraid. 

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Villeneuve claims he only makes movies on his terms without anyone interfering. If Dune fails at the BO, it's back to indie filmmaking, I'm afraid. 

I doubt that. Villeneuve for better or worse has now "made it". He's delivered 2 modest hits in Arrival and Scicario and 4 well respected movies in the industry in Prisoners, Arrival, Blade Runner and Scicario out of the 5 Hollywood movies he has directed. He's gotten an Oscar nomination for Best Director already and his movies have other oscar nominations.

Up and down the line he has worked with A listers casts as well as crews.

I don't like him but Villeneuve has absolutely made it and is now a bonafide A list star director. He's not going to need to make an indie for the rest of his life whatever is the fate of Dune.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the thing: Warner needs at least 80% of the world's screens to be functioning when Tenet opens. They'll try to release the Christopher Nolan movie by mid-July, but if that's not possible, Tenet will move to the current date for Wonder Woman 1984, August 14.

And what does this have to do with Dune? Well, if Tenet takes WW84's spot, then the DC movie will move to December, which means Dune will get pushed to 2021. 

https://deadline.com/2020/05/tenet-coronavirus-release-date-change-movie-theaters-1202928823/

• 1 month later...

Despite complete travel bans for US citizens, we're allowing Dune's crew to proceed with reshoots in August. You're welcome, world!

(also thanks for the fat fat bucks, US)

21 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

11 pages of comments?!

Geek time!😉

You KNOW it's going to suck, don't you?

Why?

- The books are universally revered.

- Villeneuve is universally revered (only one step behind the almighty Nolan)

• 5 weeks later...

I hope Villenueve’s film is great and does well. However, those kinds of broad statements run a very high risk of leading to disappointment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Bruce, if you have no interest in this film, then stay out of the thread, and go find another one to read instead of insulting those who are looking forward to it

Keep this up and you get a ban - this is your last warning

I dunno about the film itself, but it's not unlikely that a trailer might reference the music of the 1980s film; That's the way modern remakes/reimagining/sequels to old properties have been being marketed for a while now

If so, I'm guessing a few remixed bars of the "Prophecy" theme. But knowing Villeneuve, he'll be concerned with the film having its own identity, even at trailer level. Well...if he has any clout, that is.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hey Bruce, if you have no interest in this film, then stay out of the thread, and go find another one to read instead of insulting those who are looking forward to it

Keep this up and you get a ban - this is your last warning

What about Publicist?

At least I was being sarcastic

Btw I am looking forward to it

34 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

What about Publicist?

At least I was being sarcastic

Btw I am looking forward to it

Insulting trailer music and insulting JWFan members are leagues apart.  Wise up!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno about the film itself, but it's not unlikely that a trailer might reference the music of the 1980s film; That's the way modern remakes/reimagining/sequels to old properties have been being marketed for a while now

Totally! This theme *begs* for an epic trailer version

Really, really looking forward to this, but that Zimmer percussion really rubs me the wrong way

36 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Totally! This theme *begs* for an epic trailer version

The version actually used in the movie sounds much much better, though: