Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What are your thoughts, Romão?

Not a fan of the use of Pink Floyd there (does every trailer nowadays need to use an edgy cover of an old song?), but the visuals and the cast look absolutely spot on. I'm a bit concerned they might've changed the word Jihad from the book into Crusade, though

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

I'm a bit concerned they might've changed the word Jihad from the book into Crusade, though

Honestly, that sounds like the right call. Its going to be a trigger word for most Westerners, and even for those to which it isn't (mostly Arabic-proficient people like myself) it would just puncture the illusion.

Just now, Jay said:

Ah that's right.  You think Villeneuve will direct hte next one or pass the reigns?

I'm sure he will direct both installments if the second one gets made. I think that was one of his conditions to accept the job: to be able to do it in two parts

From what I remember, the first film will be able to stand on its own. Probably in case the second one doesn't get made?

Some of the visuals look good. The Pink Floyd gave the whole thing a different vibe though.

If the movie ends where I think it will, it's satisfying dramatically, but I wouldn't call it a cliffhanger

I think the trailer might've overplayed the Young Adult Chosen One that leads a revolution trope. The story is much much more than that and with much less generic contours

I don't know how I feel about how the fighting stuff looks visually. But I'm guessing it's a good translation of what's described in the book.

The bit of music in the first half sounds like Zimmer's Dune might give us some Gladiator-redux.

Just now, KK said:

I don't know how I feel about how the fighting stuff looks visually. But I'm guessing it's a good translation of what's described in the book.

It's a hard concept to translate visually. I do like the fact that the shield changes color when hit

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

I think the trailer might've overplayed the Young Adult Chosen One that leads a revolution trope. The story is much much more than that.

That was to be expected. Earlier marketing could seem very Star Wars-esque to the layman, and the narrative the trailer teases (complete with training montages) is in keeping with that.

Its the visuals that give it a distinct feel at this point.

Looks cool.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

I like the sandworm. Looks good.

Oh yes, very Baleen Whale like. And does bring out the eye parallel

The use of Pink Floyd might be a nod to Jodorowsky's Dune, where they were set to do part of the score

OK I watched the trailer.  Looks awesome to me!  Talk about a stacked cast.

Cool visual too - costumes, sets, cinematography, and special effects

Will probably trek out to the theater to catch this one

27 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Anybody else get a GOT vibe from the production design and locations?

Not from the production design, but its my understanding that Dune is akin to Game of Thrones in the sense that its to do, in part, with power struggles between competing houses.

55 minutes ago, Romão said:

The use of Pink Floyd might be a nod to Jodorowsky's Dune, where they were set to do part of the score

Exactly! That was my first thought too. I thought it worked great.

Trailer looks cool too. Sufficiently restrained in terms of revealing places and settings, but big enough to be tantalizing.

11 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I learned my lesson after MAN OF STEEL: never judge a film by its trailer😞

That one fooled everyone. But I still consider myself a good trailer reader. 

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Ahh, that's better.

Well, yes, it could have worked if it had been edited properly to fit the on-screen action. But a copy/paste won't do.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

This movie looks cool

I don't know, i was disappointed about the visual aspects.

Visually it looks somehow bland and boring, devoid of any colour and wonder.

The set design is also far too ancient/stoney looking, like a medieval film. I mean look at that boring library set or the establishing shot of the atreides home base, that looks like a generic medieval castle or even a temple ruin.

I really miss a sense of wonder and awe which is something i expect from a science fiction film which takes place in outer space and on different planets.

2 minutes ago, SF1_freeze said:

I don't know, i was disappointed about the visual aspects.

Visually it looks somehow bland and boring, devoid of any colour and wonder.

The set design is also far too ancient/stoney looking, like a medieval film. I mean look at that boring library set or the establishing shot of the atreides home base, that looks like a generic medieval castle or even a temple ruin.

I really miss a sense of wonder and awe which is something i expect from a science fiction film which takes place in outer space and on different planets.

I actually agree with this. It's not that the visuals are bad per se, but Villeneuve has some films with amazing visuals, like Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival. I expected more imaginative visuals from Dune.

I've never read a Dune book or seen any of the previous Dune adaptations so had no expectations whatsoever.  Just pressed play on the trailer (and now the teaser) and thought it looked cool!

I'll go see it

BR2049 at least had Roger Deakins at the cinematography.

Can't remember who was the cinematographer in Arrival, but that film looked impressive nonetheless.

Dune seems very bland in comparison. Which is sad, I like the cinematographer (the same that shot Rogue One).

Villeneuve's a very visual director, so there's definitely going to be a distinct visual flair, regardless of the cinematographer. But he's also a minimalist. I'm sure the full film will be impressive.

39 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

BR2049 at least had Roger Deakins at the cinematography.

Filmmakers involve themselves very closely with the photography, so when you get a director with an eye for pictorialism like Villenueve, its going to look great regardless of cinematographer.

By contrast, bad directors can drag a good cinematographer down.

Looks wise, it certainly feels like a Villeneuve movie. It has the same kind of sparseness that you see in all his movies. 'Cinematography as storytelling' wise, it's difficult to tell from a trailer. I know one thing, somehow Deakins and Villeneuve failed to draw me into the world of BR 2049. It's all a bit too flat and subdued. I hope it will be different with Dune but I doubt it. 

47 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I didn't realize this planned a two- parter.

Literally on this very page:

On 9/9/2020 at 12:39 PM, Jay said:

I forget, does this film cover the entire first book, or just some of it?

On 9/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Romão said:

Roughly the first 60 % of it

On 9/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, Chen G. said:

Is part one expected to end on a cliffhanger or is there some relatively satisfying "pit-stop" along the story where it might end?

On 9/9/2020 at 12:44 PM, KK said:

From what I remember, the first film will be able to stand on its own. Probably in case the second one doesn't get made?

On 9/9/2020 at 12:45 PM, Romão said:

If the movie ends where I think it will, it's satisfying dramatically, but I wouldn't call it a cliffhanger

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 3:09 AM, Koray Savas said:

Having just watched David Lynch’s film, I must say a lot of the art direction is extremely similar. Is this just down to both films adapting the book well?

No. It's down to Lynch actually having a "vision", rather than some arthouse-director-of-the-month making a bland, seen-it-all-before piece of work.