Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No. It's down to Lynch actually having a "vision", rather than some arthouse-director-of-the-month making a bland, seen-it-all-before piece of work.

Lynch’s Dune is a bad film. I have no doubt Villeneuve’s adaptation will be better. 

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Jodorowsky reviews Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ trailer: "Very well done but everything is predictable."

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/jodorowsky-reviews-villeneuve-dune-trailer-predictable-1234586462/

He's got a point!

He’s got absolutely no point. He hadn’t even seen the film and yet this is the second time he’s talked smack about it.

He also shows a massive misunderstanding of Auteur theory. Clearly, for him being an “auteur” is “crazy shit happening randomly on the screen means I’m creative!”

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

He’s got absolutely no point. He hadn’t even seen the film and yet this is the second time he’s talked smack about it.

He also shows a massive misunderstanding of Auteur theory. Clearly, for him being an “auteur” is “crazy shit happening randomly on the screen means I’m creative!”

Well, I had the same feeling when I watched the trailer. I think it looks safe and been-there-done-that, so he does have a point. You don't need to have seen the film. The trailer shows exactly Villeneuve's overall vision for Dune. It looks good, but it lacks character. BR 2049 or Dune, there won't be much difference. I hope I'm wrong, of course. 

I don't presume to judge a feature film based on a trailer.

All I thought of the trailer was that some of the visuals look really cool. I have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how's the character work, the narrative, the handling of themes (and what they are), the setpieces, the editing, etcetra. You don't really get that from a trailer.

• 3 weeks later...

Cities are starting to allow indoor dining. Why not cinema? Typical theater Is much larger and roomier than a restaurant.

With limited , spaced out seating, it can be made relatively safe.

I would go.😒

The studios aren't willing to settle for relatively weak box office numbers and as a movie goer I'm not willing to risk my life and others around me to see a movie. It sucks, but wouldn't you want the peace of mind of going to see a film in a post covid society? 

If America doesn't sort its shit out, then I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's pushed back again.

They clearly don't predict enough brave patrons will visit the theaters in enough numbers to justify the cost of keeping the businesses open and staffed during those times.

Movies are not essential. 

"Risk my life?....."

That's my/our  choice, isnt it? ( not that I agree it's " risking my life").

I guess you " risk your life" every time you leave the house.

I literally never think about getting sick. Maybe, that's why I never do.

Be at Peace and without fear.

Just now, who cares said:

They clearly don't predict enough brave patrons will visit the theaters in enough ?

numbers to justify the cost of keeping the businesses open and staffed during those times.

The theaters or the distributors?. How can cinemas survive if they go dark for two years?.

Very sad😥

It's not your right to spread a virus, especially if you don't know you're carrying it. 

The risk isn't the same as a car accident or getting shot, falling over, or whatever. It's more about the wellbeing of others, not just your personal rights to go outside.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Cities are starting to allow indoor dining. Why not cinema? Typical theater Is much larger and roomier than a restaurant.

With limited , spaced out seating, it can be made relatively safe.

I would go.😒

I just went to see Tenet the other day and I agree. But I think they are worry about the cold weather. Cases are rising across the world again. 

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The theaters or the distributors?. How can cinemas survive if they go dark for two years?

It's sad for the employees but I won't miss it. Streaming is the future! But there's no need to worry, you blockbuster cravers, as with everything, theatres will one day make a comeback. That's nostalgia for ya.

Wen to the theater see Tenet the other day. We were 20 in a 500 seats room. Everyone with mask. Can’t get any safer than that (which is good). But I understand studios reluctance to show big budget movies in these conditions. 

• 1 month later...

I hope for Villenueve's sake its a hit, obviously.

Those who know the story will let us know if it has the potential to be more action-packed than Blade Runner 2049 was. That will have a big impact on audiences.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

IThose who know the story will let us know if it has the potential to be more action-packed than Blade Runner 2049 was. That will have a big impact on audiences.

Villeneuve will be faithful to be book so Dune might be too political for the masses.

Oh come on. I know scarce little about Dune, but I do know it uses a lot of Arabic terminology as shorthand for "foreign and exotic language" and while that would have worked for an English-language book in the 1970s, it won't work for a blockbuster film in the 2020s.

I'm not even looking at it in terms of it being "offensive" - its just distracting. "Crusade" is better. At any rate, its a minute change. Lord save us from book purists.

1 hour ago, who cares said:

The trailer dropped the word jihad in favor of the tamer crusade. 

I'm over this movie. It can suck my sandworm. 

Truth be told, the book also uses the word crusade at times, so the word Jihad might not have been totally excised.

21 hours ago, who cares said:

I'm over this movie. It can suck my sandworm. 

Ha-ha! The smaller ones, of the ones in the deep desert, south of Arakeen :lol:

I, too, don't like "crusade". It was good enough in the novel, and it was good enough in 1984. What's changed?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Thor said:

DUNE will premiere at the Venice film festival, as (more or less) expected - between September 1-11:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/dune-timothee-chalamet-venice-film-festival-1234764551/

It worked wonderfully for Joker, which was a WB movie like Dune.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:24 PM, Chen G. said:

Well isn't that what it means? I mean, that's what makes Wes Anderson an auteur, right? ;)

crazy shit happening randomly on the screen

George Lucas, for example, was an auteur in Attack of the Clones for this very reason.  Peter Jackson was no more an auteur than when that big troll ate Alfrid.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 11:09 AM, Thor said:

DUNE will premiere at the Venice film festival, as (more or less) expected - between September 1-11:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/dune-timothee-chalamet-venice-film-festival-1234764551/

Apprently this wasn't official then?  It is now

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dune-venice-film-festival-1234998915/

8 hours ago, publicist said:

34.jpeg

DSC_4894_v1.JPG

DSC_4895_v1.JPG

I brought that minifig to Venice deliberatly. What *wasn't* planned by me was my mother actually wearing a hooded red parka:

DSC_4393.JPG