Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

The characters look good.

As far as character posters usually look, these look quite intriguing. Skarsgard really has cold eyes. I noticed it the other day while watching The Hunt for Red October

27 minutes ago, Romão said:

As far as character posters usually look, these look quite intriguing. Skarsgard really has cold eyes. I noticed it the other day while watching The Hunt for Red October

There is little room in Skarsgard's heart for anyone but Skarsgard.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

How come some posters have first name only, and some have first and last name?

I find that first name thing quite annoying. And "The Baron"? Might just as well have gone all the way and put "The Floating Fat Man"…

21 hours ago, toothless said:

I can't stand the PR bullshit of these videos :lol: "It's like anything you've seen before". Yeah. Sure.

Yeah, me neither, but in this case I know it's true.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Cremeritis!  Scroll up and see us already discussing these :)

The ones I posted, except for Yueh, are brand new. Here you get to see Rabban, Kynes and Piter. Those were not included in the previous batch of character posters

Article mentions the score briefly:

” A note on the score, in a brief interview featurette Zimmer mentioned wanting to stay away from traditional instruments as he tried to evoke the sounds of another world, meaning lots of percussion and vocals. The score, in many ways, sounds like something he intends to be his Magnum Opus and potentially a new classic for the venerable composer.”

Take that statement for what it’s worth. But I’m looking forward to it:)

PLEASE just let them make the second one. 🙏🙏🙏

I kinda hope this (assuming it's good) turns into a Titanic situation. Where the world is "meh" but then word of mouth gets out...

Ha! I'm reading the story at the link and I decided to put on the Toto soundtrack. Right when I read "First, she gives us a brief history of the Harkonnen family's tyrannical rule and their war with the Fremen" I heard "A beginning is a very delicate time..." Hey, it made ME laugh.

"when Duke Leto and his son rescue spice miners" -- OMG. This was the moment in the book when it went from a book that I read a little bit every day to a book I finished in a couple of nights. If they get this right they can have all my money.

13 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Take that statement for what it’s worth. But I’m looking forward to it:)

If you hate Zimmer then there's no pleasing you. (Are there Zimmer scores that Zimmer haters like?) But I know several people that if Zimmer does what he obviously wants to do with this they will be over the moon.

I haven't loved a Zimmer score since Man of Steel. But I'm always hoping.

And I couldn't be more excited for this film!

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I kinda hope this (assuming it's good) turns into a Titanic situation. Where the world is "meh" but then word of mouth gets out...

I think this kind of rhetoric is actually very dangerous for this movie. I've seen way too much of "y'all don't know it yet, but this will be the next Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/Titanic" talk going on. And, of course, Villenueve's Blade Runner 2049 was hailed as a masterpiece by masterbatory critics from the moment they laid eyes on it, but the unwashed masses didn't particularly warm up to it...

I like Villenueve, and I want his film to succeed and get the sequel that completes the story, but I'm no way setting myself with the expectation of somekind of cinematic revelation; I actually think its unfair to the movie to set the bar so high.

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think this kind of rhetoric is actually very dangerous for this movie. I've seen way too much of "y'all don't know it yet, but this will be the next Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/Titanic" talk going on. And, of course, Villenueve's Blade Runner 2049 was hailed as a masterpiece by masterbatory critics from the moment they laid eyes on it, but the unwashed masses didn't particularly warm up to it...

I've never heard someone say Blade Runner 2049 is going to be the next Star Wars. And I've read all the hype. 

42 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think this kind of rhetoric is actually very dangerous for this movie. I've seen way too much of "y'all don't know it yet, but this will be the next Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/Titanic" talk going on.

I haven't seen much of that. From what I've seen online, even hardcore Dune fans seem circumspect about its box office prospects. Even if the film is phenomenal, the story just doesn't have enough mass appeal, in my opinion, to achieve a Star Wars/LOTR level of success, either in box office or cultural footprint. Not before the pandemic, and certainly not now.

That said, I think Warner's is probably realistic about its box office potential, and while a BR:2049 situation would not be good, even then I'm not convinced it would mark the end of the franchise. 

Warner's big mistake was not filming both parts back to back. Incredibly short-sighted.

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

the story just doesn't have enough mass appeal, in my opinion, to achieve a Star Wars/LOTR level of success, either in box office or cultural footprint.

Precisely.

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Warner's big mistake was not filming both parts back to back. Incredibly short-sighted.

It is, but that on its own also points towards a lack of confidence in the project. As far as I can tell, Villenueve and his co-writers didn't even bother scripting both parts in advance.

Again, here's for hoping it succeds, but the odds are stacked against it to some extent.

If the film doesn't catch fire at the box office, I can see a Snyder Cut solution for Warners, in which they send the sequel straight to HBO MAX (perhaps with a reduced budget).  Unless it's an absolute flop, it's hard for me to imagine Warners abandoning the franchise altogether.

11 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

If the film doesn't catch fire at the box office, I can see a Snyder Cut solution for Warners, in which they send the sequel straight to HBO MAX (perhaps with a reduced budget).  Unless it's an absolute flop, it's hard for me to imagine Warners abandoning the franchise altogether.

The first movie will be shown in theatres but it also goes straight to HBO MAX. Maybe will opt for streaming.

27 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The first movie will be shown in theatres but it also goes straight to HBO MAX. Maybe will opt for streaming.

Right, that's my point. The whole idea behind the Snyder Cut was to get subscribers for HBO MAX. If Dune's streaming numbers are good (even if the box office is mediocre), and it draws subscribers there, maybe it's justification enough to send the sequel straight to streaming. The budget wouldn't be any more than what Netflix or Amazon pays to make one of their "tentpole" films.  The Tomorrow War on Amazon, which sucks, cost 200 mil.

Assuming it's not a complete flop, my bet is Warner will announce the sequel while the film is still in theatres.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Assuming it's not a complete flop, my bet is Warner will announce the sequel while the film is still in theatres.

I do think it will turn a profit. Question is, just how much of a profit.

It would take quite a bit for them to really pour all their efforts into Part II.

I loved the wailing woman in Gladiator.

Since then, however it became such an overplayed, overused calling card for anything vaguely Middle Eastern, it really got on my nerves.

So apparently the official, on screen title will be "Dune: Part I". My guess is to not only set the audience's expectations, but to immediately get people thinking about a sequel.

Interestingly, this is the opposite approach taken for Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. Bakshi wanted "Part I" in the title, but the studio thought it would confuse audiences and that people wouldn't pay to see an incomplete film.  So definitely a different strategy, which is probably just an indication of how much more conditioned audiences today are to expect sequels and multi-party stories.

Let's hope Villenueve's Dune doesn't meet the same fate as Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

So apparently the official, on screen title will be "Dune: Part I".

11 hours ago, Jay said:

The on-screen title is "Dune: Part 1"

The trailer loooks stunning. Chills!!

Tomorrow there are 2 tracks released from Zimmer's score. Paul's Dream (7min.) & Ripples In The Sand (5min.).

If you're in New Zealand they're on YT

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The trailer loooks stunning. Chills!!

Tomorrow there are 2 tracks released from Zimmer's score. Paul's Dream (7min.) & Ripples In The Sand (5min.).

If you're in New Zealand they're on YT

YESSSSSS

40 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Let's hope Villenueve's Dune doesn't meet the same fate as Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.

Again, that movie made money. Not a ton, but a domestic gross of $30.5 million on a budget of probably around $11 million is not half-bad.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Again, that movie made money. Not a ton, but a domestic gross of $30.5 million on a budget of probably around $11 million is not half-bad.

Not talking about the box office. I'm talking about being an orphan without a sibling.

Or is there a "Lord of the Rings, Part 2" hiding out there from Bakshi that I've missed?

Bakshi doesn't like to talk about it, but it was his decision to quit during development on Part Two.

They were well on their way to make it.