Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Blue on a blue background does have a Dune connection...

Does it? One with the first book that I'm missing, or with the later ones that I haven't read yet?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Does it? One with the first book that I'm missing, or with the later ones that I haven't read yet?

All of the spice addicted have blue on blue eyes with no whites. 

27 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

All of the spice addicted have blue on blue eyes with no whites. 

Duh, I honestly didn't think of that. Still, the overall blue of the poster almost hides the blue eyes of the Fremen, if anything.

I think we've just seen so much orange at this point, they needed to throw another colour out there on the PR material.

Yea. Not the most inspired design. Looks like every other default “floating heads” poster used to promote giant franchises: 

A0CDDACA-F6D2-4589-B699-364554656049.jpeg

There are more refined ways to showcase lots of actors. Drew Struzan was a master at this. And most freelance designers/artists are generally capable of coming up with better layouts. So odd when so-so things like this are produced. Especially with the amount of marketing money behind these films.

Love the casting for this, all except for Jason Momoa. Nothing against him, I think he's a fine actor, but I can't picture him as Duncan Idaho. Ed Atterton was always the closest to what I imagined, just with longer hair. Momoa can act but I fear I think he looks to "modelish" for the role. But I'm sure he'll pull it off no problem.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

Really looking forward to this, but that poster is really bland

Really, most of the marketing thus far leaves me quite cold, which isn't a problem except that it makes me fear for the movie's stand at the box office.

I can totally see an average bloke seeing this and thinking its a kind of Star Wars thing.

Which is a weird way to market this film so closely after a Star Wars trilogy!

Apparently, the movie premieres in Norway on September 15th, several weeks ahead of the US premiere. That's weird, it's usually the other way around.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Apparently, the movie premieres in Norway on September 15th, several weeks ahead of the US premiere. That's weird, it's usually the other way around.

Let us know what you think!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

It's a soft opening. Warners might use European reaction to "fine tune" the film.

For those interested, there's something called DUNE REDUX on YouTube. It features 45 minutes of cut footage, and is, imo, the most comprehensive presentation of DUNE that I've ever seen.

It rearranges some scenes, and, often, adds music to scenes which were originally unscored, but it really is good.

For all those who said that the T.V. of DUNE didn't make any sense (you're all ejits; it makes perfect sense!), this version will help to set things straight.

Check it out.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Yup same here!

10 hours ago, Thor said:

It's also premiering here at TIFF around the same time, so hoping to catch it then.

Denis Villeneuve is feeling confident that he will get the chance to make “Dune Part 2,” which he isn’t even viewing as a sequel to his upcoming “Dune” movie that’s being released this October. As the director told Total Film magazine, “There’s no such thing as ‘Dune 1’ and ‘Dune 2.’ It’s ‘Dune: Part One’ and ‘Dune: Part Two.'” Villeneuve only agreed to direct an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s novel for Warner Bros. and Legendary if they let him split the book into two parts. The director is now writing “Dune Part 2” and said it would take a “Part 1” box office disaster for the next film not to get made.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/denis-villenueve-optimistic-dune-2-gets-made-1234658549/

You heard the man. If you want to see a sequel for Dune, you'll need to watch the first movie in theaters. Preferably on the biggest screen you can find.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I thought they shot the whole thing, back-to-back, as it were?

They didn't; nor did they even bother scripting the whole thing.

That doesn't seem like a big vote of confidence in the project. Its possibly the thing that worries me most.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The director is now writing “Dune Part 2” and said it would take a “Part 1” box office disaster for the next film not to get made.

I remember recently Legendary retweeted or liked a Tweet saying a second film was all but assured. I'd actually expect a sequel announcement within weeks of its release.

In fact I'm calling it now: unless Dune is a box-office disaster of epic proportions, we're getting a sequel.

He's recently made the clam that part 2 will have Chani as the protagonist. So this will be a lot like Lynch's Dune: A reasonably faithful part 1 followed by "Where the hell did that come from?" part 2.

This is new: Not only critiquing a film before I've seen it but critiquing its sequel before it even gets made.

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

He's recently made the clam that part 2 will have Chani as the protagonist. So this will be a lot like Lynch's Dune: A reasonably faithful part 1 followed by "Where the hell did that come from?" part 2.

This is new: Not only critiquing a film before I've seen it but critiquing its sequel before it even gets made.

That quote about Chani went through at least 3 translations. In my limited understanding of Italian, what he meant to say, I thuink, was that Chani would be a protagonist (have a much larger role), nut nowhere did he imply Chani would be the main character.

The internet really blows these things out of proportion

Anyway, it wasn't written in the same time as part one, and so while it is a single story, its not going to have the same unity as something scripted and prevized all at once, much less of something that was shot and assembled all at once.

And I also think it matters insofar as it expresses a vote of (in)confidence in the project, both on the part of the people making it but also the studio that's backing it.

I'd say Lord of the Rings was as commercially risky back in the late 90s as Dune is today, and they still filmed the three movies. It was a vote of confidence in the project, and it worked out great. WB should've filmed the two movies back-to-back, and if the first one fails then just send part 2 to HBO or something.