Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

13 minutes ago, badbu said:

100%!!!

i almost forgot to breathe. it was really an experiences i never forget! And how good was Rebecca? Jesus Christ! 

She was great! Haha yes the experience was so good. I was completely immersed in the movie! Waiting for the OST to be released now!

On 9/16/2021 at 3:49 PM, AC1 said:

A famous Belgian critic wasn't a fan of Arrival or Blade Runner 2049 but was pleasantly surprised with Dune. Perhaps there's hope after all!.

That "Belgian critic" didn't happen to go by the nom-de-plume of AC1, by any chance? :lol:

I also managed to watch it yesterday... one day before the official German release date even (I was so hyped!). I must say I really enjoyed it (though I missed a couple of scenes from the novel I would have expected to appear given the really long runtime). There were many little background details from the novel, often not even mentioned or explained, so some good fan service. The music was also better than expected; it's not really a scene-specific score, but no one would have expected that anyway. After 2,5 hours the score began to reach overkill levels in my opinion, but I'm looking forward to the motion picture soundtrack release nonetheless.

14 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

She was great! Haha yes the experience was so good. I was completely immersed in the movie! Waiting for the OST to be released now!

I was like "Who is that actress?", because her filmography has never really made her stand out or given her a chance to use her potential.

I had to make sure that I hadn't taken any drugs, because the experience was so transcendent. This is an absolutely imposing spectacle which, nevertheless, has nuances to offer that blockbusters are rarely able to.

However, it was way too short. It just ended in the middle. I could have watched Part II right after that. Five hours like three hours.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

You've never seen Mission Impossible 5?

Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation - Rebecca Ferguson Profile - YouTube

Exactly. The best MI film, and with the best score.

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I did, but that is not the same. There she was a good actress, here she was a god actress.

Her behind makes a much better performance in Rogue Nation.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:49 AM, AC1 said:

A famous Belgian critic wasn't a fan of Arrival or Blade Runner 2049 but was pleasantly surprised with Dune. Perhaps there's hope after all!.

It's a pretty straightforward narrative adaptation without some of the "pretentions" of those other films. So in that sense, it's entertaining to watch Villeneuve's aesthetic sensibilities blown up to such massive proportions.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I'm totally fine with filmmakers attacking the MCU, but if I were Villenueve I'd wait until my movie actually makes good monet before I criticize movies that regularly make a ton of money; not to mention before I risk alienating their large fanbase.

I don't think high grossing blockbusters have anything to do with quality, but yeah, it's not the moment to step on people's toes.

32 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There is the existence of another masterpiece at risk.

Tenet: 2

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm totally fine with filmmakers attacking the MCU, but if I were Villenueve I'd wait until my movie actually makes good money before I criticize movies that regularly make a ton of money; not to mention before I risk alienating their large fanbase.

I guess Dennis just has larger balls than you. Perhaps even a third one.

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'll make measurements of my own, and than its up to Villenueve to publish his, and we'll compare.

HanZ is currently doing the job assigning the job to his minions.

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

I don't think high grossing blockbusters have anything to do with quality, but yeah, it's not the moment to step on people's toes.

OTOH, negative publicity is still publicity.

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm totally fine with filmmakers attacking the MCU, but if I were Villenueve I'd wait until my movie actually makes good money before I criticize movies that regularly make a ton of money; not to mention before I risk alienating their large fanbase.

It's the perfect time to say this, because people will talk about him on social media, they will want to know who he is to say such a thing, they'll see there's a movie from him in theater, they'll watch the trailer that promises a massive action movie and will say "hey we should go see it", they'll see it and he'll make money which will enable him to do its sequel

I'm sure Villeneuve have never seen two Marvel movies, I won't enter in the debate if two Marvel movies are copy and paste but if you want to be certain of that you have at least to watch them all (even half of them ). Trailers doesn't count as seing them as they are rarelly representative, Dune's one being the case

Then use the word "poop" rather than...

I know ecology was definitely a Herbert theme (in much the same way that language was Tolkien's) but the ecology of Dune was recovery and transformation rather than prevention. Hell, Herbert's character's aims in Dune are literally climate change!

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Hell, Herbert's character's aims in Dune are literally climate change!

Of course it is ...

Princess_Irulan-Virginia_Madsen_(1984).j

Never one drop of rain on Arrakis. 

I'm re-reading the book. I had forgotten that they describe Leto as "tall". Oh well.

I also never realized that the exchange about Leto ("My father rules an entire planet." "He's losing it.") is verbatim from the book. I never remarked on it before but I thought it was the most amazing part of the first trailer.

Two weeks, two days!

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I know ecology was definitely a Herbert theme (in much the same way that language was Tolkien's) but the ecology of Dune was recovery and transformation rather than prevention. Hell, Herbert's character's aims in Dune are literally climate change!

Yes but that's interesting. And we have to do something like it anyways.

Is it doing less good in the US? I saw it last Wedneday at the local IMAX, when it had been running for 2 weeks. I was surprised to see that the IMAX had been showing the undubbed version multiple times per day - they're not usually an original version theatre, and it's the only IMAX screen they have, but apparently (luckily) there's enough interest in original versions these days to reserve the most prestigious screen for them. In any case, it was the last day before they switched that screen to Bond, and the room was packed - and it was a 17:00 afternoon screening (on a work day), because all the good seats for the evening showings were gone days before. So I'd say it's certainly doing well here.

On 16/09/2021 at 11:30 PM, Brundlefly said:

I did, but that is not the same. There she was a good actress, here she was a god actress.

This year first I have a crush on Sophia DiMartino, then on Daniela Melchior, then her !

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is it doing less good in the US?

It does not open here until October 22nd