Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Maybe Dune is more appealing to the public outside the US? We'll soon know ...

I don't know, I just make offerings to the cinema box office gods for more adventure films

It might have to do with avoiding releasing at the same time as streaming

52 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I knew it wasn't playing yet but that is still a long wait.

Blame WB's (idiotic) decision to premiere all their 2021 movies simultaneously on HBO Max, and thus making easier for the movie to appear on torrent sites. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see how WB expects this movie to make enough money at the box-office, which I was told is the only way there ever could be a second movie.

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

Don't see how WB expects this movie to make enough money at the box-office, which I was told is the only way there ever could be a second movie.

They also said that streaming numbers matters too.

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

Hmm, it didn't matter for Snyder's Justice League. 

I don't think they have trust in Snyder handling that universe anymore. Justice League was a cult curiosity. I don't think they trust him to duplicate the same magic again. 

Dune on the other hand is very well received by critics and audiences alike and is a franchise that is handled by a far more respected director. The film will probably be nominated for a bunch of awards down the road. There is something to generate momentum and turn it into a franchise. But yeah, there is a baseline number it has to hit in the box office, there is no doubt about that. The question is, what is that baseline? 

9 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Dune on the other hand is very well received by critics and audiences alike and is a franchise that is handled by a far more respected director. 

Blade Runner 2049 was very well-received by critics and audiences everywhere. And it's made by the same respected director, but given its poor financial performance (it's been reported the film lost $80 million), I doubt we'll be seeing another sequel, even though Villeneuve is all for it.

9 hours ago, Mephariel said:

But yeah, there is a baseline number it has to hit in the box office, there is no doubt about that. The question is, what is that baseline? 

Exactly!

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Blade Runner 2049 was very well-received by critics and audiences everywhere. And it's made by the same respected director, but given its poor financial performance (it's been reported the film lost $80 million), I doubt we'll be seeing another sequel, even though Villeneuve is all for it.

Exactly!

There was news a while back that its performance in physical media revenue was exceptional for such a low grossing movie. Not sure how much of a difference that's really made though. 

Ah, that's why! 

While Warner Bros. certainly cares about Dune's box office success, streaming is a much more profitable avenue. Streaming revenue is eclipsing box office revenue, and the studio gets to keep a larger percentage of each dollar than they do from box office revenue. So when it comes to Dune, Warner Bros. sees box office as a nice short term cash injection, whereas any subscribers brought to the platform thanks to Dune will ideally provide a consistent source of income as they pay their monthly subscription fees, which, again, are a much higher profit margin for Warner Bros.

https://screenrant.com/dune-streaming-performance-more-important-box-office-wb/

It looks positively awful to me but a few of my friends and my cousin nearly cream their pants every time they see the trailer. I don't know if I will watch it. I expect it to be a financial disaster. It certainly is an ugly looking film. 

13 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I expect it to be a financial disaster.

We'll probably never know as WB sees Dune as a way to increase their monthly subscribers, which they claim is much more profitable than your precious box-office results. Welcome to the new world, Joe.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

We'll probably never know as WB sees Dune as a way to increase their monthly subscribers, which they claim is much more profitable than your precious box-office results. Welcome to the new world, Joe.

Any idgit who can do basic math  knows that

Is bullshit. 

Numbers don't lie.

Granted it works for you and people like you who dont go to the movies but the movie industry in normal times affects every city in every country with theatres financially.

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Granted it works for you and people like you who dont go to the movies

I was already adapted to the new times before everyone else, Joe. Cinema is a young people's game and I don't see myself sitting in a theatre surrounded by crunching teens. Streaming is the future! It's watching movies without the nasty stuff. 

23 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I was already adapted to the new times before everyone else. Cinema is a young people's game and I don't see myself sitting in a theatre surrounded by crunching teens. Streaming is the future! It's watching movies without the nasty stuff. 

Lol at your utter and total bullshit. The movie going experience is apparently not for you . But it has nothing to do with age. Stay in your little bubble in your safe space Dakota. 

The movie going experience is apparently not for you .

Dune is definitely a big-screen movie, but at the same time hits gripping regardless of screen-size.

Lol at your utter and total bullshit. 

Unlike you, Joe, I understand the logic behind monthly subscribers being more profitable than box-office. 

https://screenrant.com/box-office-vs-streaming-post-pandemic-success-failure/

Regardless of the performance of any individual movie, streaming revenue is already a much more lucrative route than the box office. Netflix's subscriber base has grown to the point where the platform's yearly revenue more than doubles Disney's biggest year at the box office ...

Are you crying, Joe? 

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Unlike you, Joe, I understand the logic behind monthly subscribers being more profitable than box-office. 

https://screenrant.com/box-office-vs-streaming-post-pandemic-success-failure/

Are you crying, Joe? 

no Alex, again you're full of crap.  it cost in the US $9.99 for an HBO Max monthly subscription. That's not per person. An evening movie ticket costs on average $12.00. per person, sure the theatre gets a portion but so does the cable company out of the subscription. The movie boxoffice can be substantially larger initially.  Math proves you incorrect. MATH IS BEYOND YOU 

And no home movie experience can compete with a 40' by 70' screen.

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

no home movie experience can compete with a 40' by 70' screen.

It depends on what part of the experience you value. 

At home, I can watch in my pj's {I sleep nude} and bare feet, lay comfortably on my own couch, eat my own snacks, drink my own alcohol, and freely discuss the movie with whoever I invite to watch the mooched account with me.

I need not drive anywhere, get dressed, or pay the theatre for snacks, or worry about the police when I change into my pj's at the theater. 

I value the home experience. 

21 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

no Alex, again you're full of crap.  it cost in the US $9.99 for an HBO Max monthly subscription. That's not per person. An evening movie ticket costs on average $12.00. per person, sure the theatre gets a portion but so does the cable company out of the subscription. The movie boxoffice can be substantially larger initially.  Math proves you incorrect. MATH IS BEYOND YOU 

Netflix's subscriber base has grown to the point where the platform's yearly revenue more than doubles Disney's biggest year at the box office

5 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

It depends on what part of the experience you value. 

At home, I can watch in my pj's {I sleep nude} and bare feet, lay comfortably on my own couch, eat my own snacks, drink my own alcohol, and freely discuss the movie with whoever I invite to watch the mooched account with me.

I need not drive anywhere, get dressed, or pay the theatre for snacks, or worry about the police when I change into my pj's at the theater. 

I value the home experience. 

I value picture quality over screen size. 

But why not have both. 

It must be a sad pathetic life to think the netflix experience beats the movie theatre experience. 

Also HBO Max is no Netflix.

<--------  Sad and pathetic

Your moviegoing experience does not need me to visit a movie theatre in a different province or country in order for you to have a better experience. 

That's like saying your medicine does not work unless I also take my medicine. 

21 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

I need not drive anywhere, get dressed, or pay the theatre for snacks,

These right here. Or work an entire week schedule around going to the one or two screenings where they didn't destroy the audio track with badly mixed badly acted bad dubbing.

What a sad set.  I understand Alex is agoraphobic but the rest of you? I cannot remember a bad film projection experience in years . I don't see films with rude audiences and I don't LIE and pretend my tv begins to compare to the big screen.

Frankly movie theatre popcorn is pretty damned awesome too especially with a cheese cup and sliced Jalapenos

My last bad film projection experience was Hardy's Mad Max. They moved us go a different theatre plus gave us back our money and gave us free passes.

1 minute ago, Positivatee said:

You misspelled nachos. 

You don't eat popcorn with jalapeños. 

Yes I do. Its wonderful. Seriously.

I don't eat nachos at the movies, their chips are ....yuck.

I NEVER EVER had one SINGLE bad experience in a movie theater. Not one. And I've been a lot to the theaters since I was young.

But I can understand that. Why leave the comfort of our houses, drive to a theater filled with teenagers, pay expensive popcorn and soda... When I can watch everything from my own couch? It doesn't matter that the filmmakers worked so that the big screen is the ideal way of watching a film, doesn't matter that I am killing an entire industry from which many livelihoods (not just the rich cast and crew members) depend upon... 

No, what matters is that I am a lazy fucker who can't get out of the sofa and will watch everything in my telly. Fuck the rest of the world and fuck the theater! I cannot and WILL NOT GET OUT OF MY FUCKING COUCH!

I don't like eating popcorn in the Theatre. Too messy on my hands. Then I'm yelling at the projector room to pause it while I wash my hands. I used to lick them clean, but there are 19 good reasons not to. 

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I NEVER EVER had one SINGLE bad experience in a movie theater. Not one. And I've been a lot to the theaters since I was young.

I once liked theaters, the real ones, not the concrete multiplexes of today that project video. But, in those days, a lot of things could go wrong with 35mm film ... Either the projection lens wasn't correctly adjusted, or the movie could get stuck and burn, or the film was projected too high or too low, ... 

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

doesn't matter that I am killing an entire industry from which many livelihoods (not just the rich cast and crew members) depend upon... 

You are not killing anything. HBO Max is a paid legal alternative to the theatre. 

Watching a shaky cam with green Asian subtitles, that's killing the industry.