Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why would you watch the Bourne movies with Asian subtitles?

Becuase its your language?

Its not my language. I speak English, some french, and some Spanish. 

I understand your posts most if the time so maybe i understand  Norwegian

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why would you watch the Bourne movies with Asian subtitles?

Because it's a pirated copy obtained by videotaping a theater showing the movie in Asia? 

That's how I watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 in college, an illegal cam rip.  It was terrible. 

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's usually only you in the theatre?

No, I pay a friend to sit on the floor in front of me. 

11 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Because the shaky cam has very poor sound so you can't hear the dialogue.

Maybe shaky cam makes him puke. It gets me close.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I don't generally go to theaters with crappy sound and picture.

I've seen nothing but theaters with crappy picture these last decades (we have two multiplexes here in Antwerp: Kinepolis and UGC). There was improvement for a little while but then they changed the projection system again (it's Laser Ultra now) and it was back to bad. I simply can't enjoy a movie when the picture has poor contrast. Sound never seems to be a problem. But IQ is much more important to me than sound. 

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I try to cancel it out by shaking my own head in synchronisation.

That sounds like a recipe for projectile vomiting.

Alex keep an open mind that there are cinemas with perfect projection. Keep hoping it will get better.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

Well, not to go off topic, but I will be watching this tomorrow in IMAX

I waffled on IMAX. The last movie I saw in IMAX was The Dark Knight Rises and I couldn't tell if I hated the sound because it was IMAX or because it was a Nolan film.

So I went with Harkins Cine Capri. (Nice auditorium here. Not as nice as the original Capri which was Phoenix's last one screen movie house where Star Wars played exclusively for over a YEAR.)

7 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Alex keep an open mind that there are cinemas with perfect projection. Keep hoping it will get better.

Don't worry about me, Joe. Going to the theater is not something I desire and this for a multitude of reasons. Are there theaters with perfect projection? Hmm, I don't see how 2K spread over a giant screen is better than 2K or 4K on my 4K OLED. Will it get better? Why should it? 99% of the audience doesn't see that what there are getting is a poor picture. 

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Would you like a dinner mint?

Fuck off, I'm full.

I see both @JoeinAR's and @AC1's points.

Cinema sound and projection is, nowadays, nothing more than adequate. There's n'owt wrong with either, it's the attitude of those running the cinemas which annoys me. Nobody seems to care about what is being shown. Projectionists are almost a thing of the past and, because of this, rookie mistakes are made, regularly. I've lost count of the times I've had to run out of a showing, and tell some spotty kid to "get the f***ing ratio right, in #5!", or something. That simply wouldn't happen, in days of yore, because people had something that's missing from today's workforce: pride.

That being said, I still enjoy a trip to the cinema, whenever it comes to where I live.

Sound I really don't care about, too much. Most 5.1 systems are very sensitive, and can approximate the "cinema experience" (whatever that means). The one thing that I miss when watching a film on a television, however, is detail. Even a 54" screen cannot hope to offer the amount of detail that a full cinema screen does. It's for mainly this reason, that I'll continue to frequent cinemas, as long as they are active.

In the meantime, I'll continue to watch films on my telly, with my popcorn, my chilli dog, and my Mountain Dew, while sitting in my PJs (or less, if I fancy!), knowing that I won't be interupted by wailing children, mobile 'phones, bad breath on the back of my neck, or people making out in the back row.

Cinema has its advantages, but so does home cinema :).

53 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The one thing that I miss when watching a film on a television, however, is detail. Even a 54" screen cannot hope to offer the amount of detail that a full cinema screen does.

Detail? Watching digital 4K at home I would say there's almost too much detail. I can literally count the leaves on the trees all the way back on the horizon. 

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe we're just better behaved in rural Virginia :) 

Stu, I've lived in rural Virginia: you're not :lol:

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Detail? Watching digital 4K at home I would say there's almost too much detail. I can literally count the leaves on the trees all the way back on the horizon. 

That's a form of modern hyper-detail, which is inaccurate, and unnecessary.

I mean the detail which is present on the original negative, which is meant to be seen on the largest screen possible.

39 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Im sorry but no one's home theatre is anywhere close to the theatre. Not possible.

I would accept that as an axiom. 

It would seem, however, that it is becoming a viable alternative, to the movie theatre.

Sequel basically confirmed?

“Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that,” WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff told Deadline

54 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There can also be the situation where Part Two gets greenlit and made, but doesn't have as big a budget...

The last part of Dune is a smallish, intimate piece. :D

4 hours ago, Positivatee said:

The sequel books are VERY intimate. 

I just read Children. It's fair to say that 75% of the book is people in rooms talking to each other about what will happen soon.

As someone who never read the book, I only know what I am getting into from snippets of what I read on message boards like this. I knew this isn't an action film and this is not the complete story. I knew the trailers tried to make the movie seemed more adventurous than it is because they keep selling the same scenes differently rather than revealing more spectacles. But I am still shocked how little action the film has. The last act of the film...I thought was the second act because I keep waiting for some sort of climax that never materialized. The cinematography is beautiful, but also surprisingly dark, and like 70% of the movie takes place at night. The tone echoes most of Villeneuve's films: sterile and humorless outside of Idaho's jokes. Maybe I should have seen this coming, but I didn't to this extend. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the movie since I prefer cerebral sci-fi over things like Marvel films and hope the story gets finished. I just don't see how they are going to get people in the seats. The fact that it is a modest box office success in Europe so far is actually surprising to me and gives me hope for humanity.

Musically, Zimmer's score shines the most in key moments like the first sandworm sighting, the Atreides landing on Arrakis, and the expression of the desert and spice. But it is like he is scoring a series of paintings because, really, the musical journey has nowhere to go since the major character arcs are incomplete. And outside of Jessica and Paul, there aren't really any emotional crevices to explore. There are no epiphanies, glorious moments, or tender scenes to elevate. It is definitely not a score I enjoy much on album, but at least now I understand why the Zimmer scored it the way he did.

I decided to watch the film tonight. Pre-booked the evening showing with my late friend Rob who died very unexpectedly a week ago. It would have been our 75th Odeon Limitless trip together. He was looking for the film very very much and would send me information about it constantly. He was a massive s-f nerd. Will buy his favourite snacks and will send him my scathing dour comments afterwards. He would expect nothing else from me. Looking forward to it...and not looking forward to it...both at the same time. But, oddly, it feels only appropriate. ❤️

EDIT: Wrong thread. Should have been the film one. 

Karol

7 hours ago, Mephariel said:

But I am still shocked how little action the film has.

As it turned out, I loved that it made me wait for the action.

Problem is, the action itself isn't very good: Villenueve doesn't have a natural knack for action, it seems to me. That's probably the main demerit of the film - it wasn't a huge one for me (in fact, I loved it) but other audience members might mind it more.

7 hours ago, Mephariel said:

As someone who never read the book, I only know what I am getting into from snippets of what I read on message boards like this. I knew this isn't an action film and this is not the complete story. I knew the trailers tried to make the movie seemed more adventurous than it is because they keep selling the same scenes differently rather than revealing more spectacles. But I am still shocked how little action the film has. The last act of the film...I thought was the second act because I keep waiting for some sort of climax that never materialized. The cinematography is beautiful, but also surprisingly dark, and like 70% of the movie takes place at night. The tone echoes most of Villeneuve's films: sterile and humorless outside of Idaho's jokes. Maybe I should have seen this coming, but I didn't to this extend. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the movie since I prefer cerebral sci-fi over things like Marvel films and hope the story gets finished. I just don't see how they are going to get people in the seats. The fact that it is a modest box office success in Europe so far is actually surprising to me and gives me hope for humanity.

Musically, Zimmer's score shines the most in key moments like the first sandworm sighting, the Atreides landing on Arrakis, and the expression of the desert and spice. But it is like he is scoring a series of paintings because, really, the musical journey has nowhere to go since the major character arcs are incomplete. And outside of Jessica and Paul, there aren't really any emotional crevices to explore. There are no epiphanies, glorious moments, or tender scenes to elevate. It is definitely not a score I enjoy much on album, but at least now I understand why the Zimmer scored it the way he did.

It's interesting that you'd say that because Villeneuve himself said this was his most popcorn movie/blockbuster he's ever done. 

42 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Villenueve doesn't have a natural knack for action

Have you seen Sicario?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

No, but in Blade Runner 2049 the action was...not quite there, so to speak.

The whole scene at the dam (or whatever the place was with all the water) was pretty damn riveting.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

The whole scene at the dam (or whatever the place was with all the water) was pretty damn riveting.

It's referred to as the sea wall, I believe. Yeah, liked that scene..  the movie, too, though it's not something I need to watch often. Dune, however, I already watched twice, and am looking forward to the 4k UHD