Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Was it really suggested though? Did they say 10191 AD, or did they just say 10191? I can't remember.

"A beginning is a very delicate time. Know, then, that it is the year 10,191. The known universe is ruled by the padishar emperor Shaddam the fourth...my father".

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"A beginning is a very delicate time. Know, then, that it is the year 10,191. The known universe is ruled by the padishar emperor Shaddam the fourth...my father".

That's from the book?

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Shaddam

Shussein?

13 hours ago, Positivatee said:

I don't recall anyone explaining earlier what drum sand is or why it's so dangerous.

Yeah, there are a few things the film doesn't explain quite well enough, but they're fairly minor.

People talk all the time about how the elipsis in the original Star Wars heighten the film's realism - I think the same could be said of those things here.

Sir David Lean is the kinda director that directors love.

I will say, Villenueve's assertion that its "a perfect movie" is a dubious one: nearly everyone (including those who worked on the film) agrees the second part of Lawrence is not as good as the first. I bet Villenueve had seen it, like the rest of us, in its 216-minute "director's cut", which only heightens the issues of that part of the film.

18 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Don't you think it's good?

It's one of those classics that I seem to be immune to.

I'm in the process of re-watching Kingdom Of Heaven and Scott's love for David Lean is suddenly very obvious.

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I'm in the process of re-watching Kingdom Of Heaven and Scott's love for David Lean is suddenly very obvious.

Very much so, yes.

Especially in the way that he prefers to treat the action setpieces more as crowd scenes than as fight sequences - lots of shots of charging cavalry, but we little of the actual fighting that ensues; which I tend to find disappointing.

55 minutes ago, AC1 said:

What's with all these directors and their love for Lawrence?!

Mostly because they have seen that movie as kids / teens, an age when

you are much more impressionable. Same reason you hear a lot of them also talk about Star Wars and Blade Runner. In a few decades the new generation will probably reference the works of Nolan, Denis etc.

19 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Is it good? I've never seen it...

Kingdom of Heaven? Oh, its quite good.

In many ways, its has an absolutely ghastly screenplay - just very clumsy with moving the plot forward, introducing characters and with its thematic underpinings - but somehow Scott and his terrific ensemble cast make it work.

The best cut is the Roadshow Edition.

On 23/10/2021 at 12:22 AM, KK said:

It's big, it's beautiful...it's empty...

If you think that you should definitely go see it a second time. Don't get blinded by the grandeur as you did when seeing Tenet. Thus far, this movie stood out for me among every other arthouse film this year.

It's not empty, it's not megalomatic. It might be the most important film for our global society right now. Just the right film by the right director at the right time.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Especially in the way that he prefers to treat the action setpieces more as crowd scenes than as fight sequences - lots of shots of charging cavalry, but we little of the actual fighting that ensues; which I tend to find disappointing.

Aren't the action setpieces in LAWRENCE... meant to be as they are; to offer a sort of detached quality to what's on screen?

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Is it good? I've never seen it...

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN? Don't waste your time with the theatrical version. As Chen says:

50 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The best cut is the Roadshow Edition.

As good as it is, it can only hope to fall prostrate, and worship at the altar of the magnificence of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Aren't the action setpieces in LAWRENCE... meant to be as they are; to offer a sort of detached quality to what's on screen?

The massacre at Mazriel, maybe.

But not the attack of Aqaba; which is really depicted as a gallop more than as an actual battle.

50 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

If you think that you should definitely go see it a second time...this movie stood out for me among every other arthouse film this year.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing it again, and I hope it will be a film that rewards rewatching. Much as I like it, though, I'm not expecting it to end up in my top ten of the year. (In fact, 2021 looks like it has the possibility of being a bumper year for films. If it proves to be on the upper side of expectations, Dune: Part One might struggle to make it into the top twenty...)

38 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

What a surprise. ;)

On 18/08/2021 at 4:50 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

I'd actually expect a sequel announcement within weeks of its release.

In fact I'm calling it now: unless Dune is a box-office disaster of epic proportions, we're getting a sequel.

Don't celebrate just yet, people. Studios greenlit movies that doesn't get made all the time. After all, where's the Star Wars trilogy by Rian Johnson? The Amazing Spider-Man 3? 

I'll only be relieved when filming for the Part 2 begins.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't celebrate just yet, people. Studios greenlit movies that doesn't get made all the time. After all, where's the Star Wars trilogy by Rian Johnson? The

Yeah, I called that one too. ;)

On 06/02/2018 at 2:08 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

I wonder if Rian is really still doing his trilogy. Despite what they say, this may be a way of easing Rian out and these guys in.  It's no secret TLJ was a failure with a large portion of the fan base who Disney needs to support these films enthusiastically. 

On 06/02/2018 at 2:18 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Disney (i.e. Kennedy) WAY jumped the gun on announcing the new Rian trilogy before anyone saw his work.

I dunno. I'm just trying to read between the lines, mostly just guessing. But it's hard to imagine having two new trilogies, plus the Kenobi film and whatever other anthology films they have planned.

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't celebrate just yet, people. Studios greenlit movies that doesn't get made all the time.

There's some truth to what you say.

For example Bakshi's Part Two of The Lord of the Rings was well on its way to being made - Part One had made a decent $30.5 million against ~$11 million budget, after all - but it was going to have to be made on a tighter budget, so Bakshi threw in the towel and that was that.

Of course, that was made in a completely different time and under different circumstances. I'll give it a few days to at least see Warners echo Legendary on this matter, but I no longer seriously doubt that we'll see Part Two; and that's a very good thing for cinema.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

If you think that you should definitely go see it a second time. Don't get blinded by the grandeur as you did when seeing Tenet. Thus far, this movie stood out for me among every other arthouse film this year.

It's not empty, it's not megalomatic. It might be the most important film for our global society right now. Just the right film by the right director at the right time.

Tenet, for all its floundering, felt as thin as plywood. Nolan robs it off any grandeur by filling it to the brim with nonsense.

Dune on the other hand, is very spacious (as Villeneuve's films tend to be), and thus feels wonderfully massive...but rings hollow. I've certainly seen more powerful and stirring films this year (though maybe not in mainstream Hollywood). But yes, I liked it so I probably will watch it again soon.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

What's with all these directors and their love for Lawrence?!

Because it's one of the most amazing films ever made. The remarkable thing is that with all of the budget, technology, and even effects, nobody has been able to match its grandeur. Not even the sandy movie this thread is about. Oh, and having a Peter O'Toole handy is helpful. And nobody has one of those.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But not the attack of Aqaba; which is really depicted as a gallop more than as an actual battle.

That is my absolute favorite shot of the movie. It makes the audience an actual observer rather than trying to make them a participant. The camera is simple and economical. It's the rest of the scale of the shot that is bonkers. It's like the anti-Peter Jackson.

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Any chance we could crowdsource the funds to hire Hans Zimmer throughout 2023 so that he's not available for Dune: Part Two?

You're insane. Or we just disagree. But I'm fairly certain you're insane. I can't stop listening to both the score and the sketchbook. (Haven't been able to get into the Art and Soul.)

29 minutes ago, KK said:

Dune on the other hand, is very spacious (as Villeneuve's films tend to be), and thus feels wonderfully massive...but rings hollow. I've certainly seen more powerful and stirring films this year (though maybe not in mainstream Hollywood). But yes, I liked it so I probably will watch it again soon.

I'm working my way through it at home. It's still gorgeous. It's all the good things from when I saw it in the cinema. But now my brain is a little quieter, I'm not holding my breath for every misstep or variation from the book. I can really appreciate it for its own sake.

There is the scene when the Atreides troops charge into battle and are obviously lost. I was surprised when this time it brought a tear to my eye.

According to Deadline, the Part 2 will be released on October 20, 2023. Unlike the first movie, the second won't have the day-and-date HBO Max release.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-sequel-greenlit-by-legendary-warner-bros-theatrical-release-1234862383/

48 minutes ago, KK said:

To me, it all comes down to whether one identifies with the plight of the characters in the story.

I can't fault anyone for not empathizing with Paul. I do, but I get why some won't. Its a bit like how audiences empathize more naturally with Siegmund in Die Walkure than they do Siegfried: because Siegmund's predicament is just more down-to-earth and ultimately tangiable; whereas a character like Paul has a predicament that is in many ways "beyond" us - its just too cosmic.

But I do think audiences can empathize very naturally with Lady Jessica. That stuff was extremlly compelling: just a really, REALLY worried mum; and that's not faint praise because Jessica is onscreen a hell of a lot in the movie. So I'm kind of at a loss at the notion that its hollow.

51 minutes ago, KK said:

Tenet, for all its floundering, felt as thin as plywood. Nolan robs it off any grandeur by filling it to the brim with nonsense.

Have you seen that one a second time?

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Have you seen that one a second time?

I, for one, try to watch any film that I want to discuss in any detail twice. But then there are some films where I'm just not enthused enough to go ahead with that: Tenet is one such film.

I didn't activelly dislike it by any stretch of the imagination, but whatever enjoyment I derived from it was purely on the level of "look, explosion!" or "ha, witty line!" and that sort of thing. It ain't nothing, but its not much, either.

On 26/10/2021 at 8:48 AM, Chen G. said:

Yeah, there are a few things the film doesn't explain quite well enough, but they're fairly minor.

People talk all the time about how the elipsis in the original Star Wars heighten the film's realism - I think the same could be said of those things here.

I feel like it would be cooler with the subplot about they're suspicious about Jessica being the traitor. It's give us more Thufir and Jessica and give Thufir something to do.