Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I agree that a film is the sum of subject and execution: if you take a trivial subject matter and execute it excellently, its not enough in my book to make a great film. But, for the purposes of Best Director award, does that really matter? I can see it mattering for Best Picture, but the best direction should garner the Best Director award.

54 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

If you have a perfect mis-en-scène you should get the Best Director regardless of the story or utility of your movie. There are other awards for that...

Nope, it's the other way round, the director's job exceeds the technical side and there is a ton of other awards for the technical aspects. The director has to make sense of all that and the script, the topic, the acting, the whatever. Spielberg's merits are, in this case, limited to having a big budget. Villeneuve puts all pieces together in a congenial way that is rarely seen in blockbuster cinema.

19 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The director has to make sense of all that and the script, the topic, the acting, the whatever.

What's so wrong then with the script, it's not original but extremly well adapted, the actors are all better than in the original version and delivers a very good performance, the topic can still apply today, the artistic direction is stunning, depicting perfectly the 60's while giving it a more modern photography. Overall apart from the true purpose of the movie (which is to make something he loves) Spielberg only has a tons of merits.

Regarding Dune, Villeneuve did a really great job but that doesn't implied that Spielberg has no merits.

12 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, that's Harkonnen, and not

Harkonnen.

Bloody hell, that fracking annoyed me.

The pronunciation of the word in the new movie is the same as Herbert's and how it is pronounced in Finnish, which seems to be origin of the word. It didn't come out of nowhere

18 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I am aware of this, @Romão.

It's just that I am so used to the 1984 pronounciation :)

Oh, I understand completely. It still sounds somewhat jarring to me. I got used both from the 1984 film and the Dune 2 game. But I really can't fault the filmmakers for it

• 3 weeks later...

On the one hand I want Shadam to be someone as epic as Jose Ferrer to say nothing of in line with the amazing current cast.

OTOH, wouldn't it be awesome if it was MacLachlan?

That would be so self referential and on the nose to the point of becoming cringey. I'm sure Villeneuve is not going that route

43 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

On the one hand I want Shadam to be someone as epic as Jose Ferrer to say nothing of in line with the amazing current cast.

No because they should be looking for someone who can actually act.

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

14 hours ago, Romão said:

That would be so self referential and on the nose to the point of becoming cringey. I'm sure Villeneuve is not going that route

Better cast Lynch as Shaddam.

aSHl7J.gif

(Here depicted with his own son)

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I predict audience interest will dwindle

I agree. I loved the movie, but I don't think its as readily-accessible as the other major franchises. Works fine for one, two, maybe three movies (and Part One's box-office wasn't terribly big) but its probably not going to spawn a lot of sequels.

I hope they just adapt Frank Herbert's books, and probably best not all of them. Anything else beyond that would be overkill and uncessary

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I predict audience interest will dwindle

Epsecially when Villeneuve is no longer attached to the movies. We'll get something like "From the producers and the screenwriter of Dune".

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Those 5 are well deserved and espacially Cinematography, Sound and Special Visual Effects which were breathtaking

The score was alright, sometimes good, sometimes too much. Not award material to me.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The movie runs on the magnificent direction which is thoroughly neglected by the awards.

Positive was the clarity of the storytelling, but other than that, it's still a blockbuster kind of compromised storytelling. 

Just watched the bluray.

The image was cropped to 2:39 and it seemed as though much of the picture was lopped off.

I remember watching BR 2049 on bluray and then on HBO and the latter was opened up making for a better experience.

Maybe, I'll wait to watch it again on cable.

I don't get why they show these IMAX films in.this ratio.

On 14/03/2022 at 9:26 AM, AC1 said:

5 British Academy Film Awards go to Dune:

- Original Score

- Cinematography

- Production Design 

- Sound

- Special Visual Effects

https://www.bafta.org/film/awards/2022-nominations-winners

Only sound?

What about sound editing?😉

On 16/12/2021 at 7:47 AM, Bespin said:

Anyway, after 1 h 30, I left the Baron trying to hide on the ceilling.

Villeneuve failed over this character, his scenes are too short... well in the first 1 h 30 of the movie, I stopped it after.

Even my husband who nows Dune very well was a bit disappointed by Villeneuve's Baron.

And well the Blue-eyed Girl in the desert, after two times Paul had the vision we understood... after it's becoming repetitive.

There are soooooo many reasons why no Villeneuve movie will ever be cult!!!

I thought the Baron was.the Emperor?

On 26/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Glóin the Dark said:

Any chance we could crowdsource the funds to hire Hans Zimmer throughout 2023 so that he's not available for Dune: Part Two?

Yeah.

Maybe we can hire some ninety year old serialist.

I believe Milt Babbit is still alive!😜

Well the IMAX version had leaked at some point featuring extra-footage on top, bottom and strangely left and right too. I don't recall where I saw this but it could even have been a leak from Deakins himself. I guess HBO uses this version now it's out although I don't have HBO to confirm it.

A clip can be found on yt if you want to compare

Watching the extras....

If you look at the story boards most are rendered in the Panavision 2:35 ratio.

A few are in the IMAX ratio.

So, judging from this small sample it appears that only a few scenes utilized IMAX.

But, I have no way of knowing how much.

It's no fault of the filmmakers, but DUNE suffers from coming out AFTER STAR WARS and GAME OF THRONES.

The world of DUNE , the novel, most assuredly influence both these filmed versions.

But, on film, DUNE lacks the novelty it would have if SW and GOT never existed.

Certainly, that's not the fault of the filmmakers.

It's a very well made film.

Actually, as pure music, I find the score quite listenable. It's nice to drive to.

The film however, leaves me cold.

Dr. Yueh, and Peiter, are cyphers, there's far too many dreamy shots of Chani, and, frankly, there isn't a single character who wasn't interpreted much better, in 1984.

It might look and sound good, but it lacks what Lynch's version has: genuine vision and imagination....oh, yeah, and a truly fantastic score.

Fwiw

Screenshot_2022-03-21-00-31-13.png

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Actually, as pure music, I find the score quite listenable. It's nice to drive to.

The film however, leaves me cold.

Dr. Yueh, and Peiter, are cyphers, there's far too many dreamy shots of Chani, and, frankly, there isn't a single character who wasn't interpreted much better, in 1984.

It might look and sound good, but it lacks what Lynch's version has: genuine vision and imagination....oh, yeah, and a truly fantastic score.

Most of the negative reviews cite:

- it is only part one.

- it's not true to the book

- Lynch's version was better.

Hmmm...

Well...

I knew it was " part one" so that didn't bother me.

I never read the book.

I didn't care for the original and it's not really relevant.

Oh. Lots of complaints about the dialog being unintelligible.

That may be because viewers played in in 7.1 .

Or, the sub- woofers and surrounds were set too loud.

Or, the center channel is set to low.

Watching in stereo , with a phantom " center" channel, the dialog was clear. One suspects that many 5.1 set-ups don't process the sound properly.