Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Where are the reviews that say Lynch's version is better?

I have only seen reviews where it says that Lynch's version is inferior.

I'm talking about customer reviews on Amazon and folks like Fart.

I don't read critics.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Where are the reviews that say Lynch's version is better?

Welcome to

"Naïve Old Fart's Review Time".

Today: which is the better DUNE?

Villeneuve, or Lynch?

Lynch! :)

Thank you.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm talking about customer reviews on Amazon and folks like Fart.

That's "Naïve Old Fart", to you, sunny Jim.

It's a personalized motor vehicle licence that slipped past the censors

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Welcome to

"Naïve Old Fart's Review Time".

Today: which is the better DUNE?

Villeneuve, or Lynch?

Lynch! :)

Thank you.

That's "Naïve Old Fart", to you, sunny Jim.

I can't employ the " .." thingy

Too bad they don't try to replicate the IMAX experience by at least presenting it in full screen 1:78.

On a 45 inch screen 2:35 reduced the image size by twenty five percent.

That's a lot!

Maybe they will in the future.

APOLLO 13 did that.

If it's like the two last Avengers movies, it may simply be an issue with IMAX not wanting yet to release it for whatever reason. I'm sure they'll release it at some point as part of their IMAX Enhanced catalog

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Too bad they don't try to replicate the IMAX experience by at least presenting it in full screen 1:78.

It's called framing. You might as well complain about the IMAX version cropping out everything that was visible around the camera when they shot it.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

On a 45 inch screen 2:35 reduced the image size by twenty five percent.

That's a lot!

How many percent is it on a 70 inch screen?

• 1 month later...

And Florence Pugh (only know here by name) as Irulan and Austin Butler (not familiar with him at all, but apparently I've seen him in OUATIH) as Feyd-Rautha.

Interesting.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And Florence Pugh (only know here by name)

Dude

Rent and watch MIDSOMMAR!

She's very talented.  Even in the MCU (she's in Black Widow and Hawkeye) she shines

But MIDSOMMAR is both a really good movie and she's really good in it

(watch the theatrical, not the extended version)

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Rent and watch MIDSOMMAR!

I'm kinda scared to. From what I've read it sounds like it could be hard to watch in a way similar to Requiem for a Dream. But I'm sure I'll see it someday.

It deals directly with immense loss and the grief that results from it.  It's pretty intense, strives to put you in that headspace kind of thing.  But it's worth the ride!

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm kinda scared to. From what I've read it sounds like it could be hard to watch in a way similar to Requiem for a Dream. But I'm sure I'll see it someday.

It was a complete non-event to me (and I loved his previous movie) so I'd say there's no reason to be scared. In a way Midsommar is more like a dark comedy with horror elements. Some people like that movies walk a fine line between comedy and horror but I'm not one of them. I didn't like Jordan Peele's Us (of the same year) either.

Then again, movies can be different things on different days, so maybe a second watch will change my point of view. But so far, I don't feel the movie is inviting me to see it again.

Walken is obviously a powerhouse performer. And the movie is the movie. But Shaddam is supposed to look about Leto's age.

Not that I ever had that complaint about Ferrer, I suppose.

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It isn't really. If anything, it shares the kind of unbearable ceremonial that we know from Salò.

18 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Better still, watch Lady Macbeth.

I absolutely agree!

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2022 at 8:37 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

From what I've read it sounds like it could be hard to watch in a way similar to Requiem for a Dream.

Hee, hee. The only thing that I remember about RFAD is Ellen Burstyn being menaced by a refrigerator.

59 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

With so many star salaries, Part Two is going to have to make a helluva lot of money!

Or .. star salaries aren't what they once were. After all, with the exception of Top Gun 2, 'movie star movies' are starting to become a thing of the past. 

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Or .. star salaries aren't what they once were.

Its not so much the salary but the precentage. I mean, come on, you don't put Chalamet, Ferguson, Brolin, Skarsgard, Bautista, Rampling, Zendaya, Bardem and now Walken, Pugh and Seydoux without giving each of them a cut and that's all fine and well but it means the profit needs to be a big one.

I wonder if everyone who watched Dune Part 1 will be back for Dune Part 2. If memory serves me right, fewer people came back to see The Empire Strikes Back, even though everyone said "OMG, it's much better than the first one".

18 hours ago, AC1 said:

Or .. star salaries aren't what they once were. After all, with the exception of Top Gun 2, 'movie star movies' are starting to become a thing of the past. 

Dune is literally a movie star movie. I'd say it's why a lot of people saw it.

On 12/05/2022 at 8:04 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

...Austin Butler...as Feyd-Rautha.

No leather thongs, please.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:20 AM, Romão said:

My goodness, that's an awful get-up.

Blonde haired people cannot pull off black, and...what is that... magenta? Fuchsia?

Dreadful.

Apparently, the average blockbuster has to make at least three times what it cost, to cover publicity.

That would mean that DUNE made a loss of $50,000,000 to $60,000,000.

Of course, that shortfall could easily be recouped with streaming, DVD, Blu Ray, and TV rights.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Apparently, the average blockbuster has to make at least [...] times what it spent, to cover publicity.

How many times?

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My goodness, that's an awful get-up.

Blonde haired people cannot pull off black, and...what is that... magenta? Fuchsia?

Dreadful.

Regarding hair: I'm looking forward to be able to distinguish all the people that occur only in the second half of the old movie. Back then they only seemed to cast old men with white hair and I was like "who's that again" or "is that the same guy as in the previous scene". Now, by means of the new movie I could easily classify the characters from the old movie.:lol:

32 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

How many times?

Regarding hair: I'm looking forward to be able to distinguish all the people that occur only in the second half of the old movie. Back then they only seemed to cast old men with white hair and I was like "who's that again" or "is that the same guy as in the previous scene". Now, by means of the new movie I could easily classify the characters from the old movie.:lol:

Hopefully it helps using reasonable character design, cinematography, dialogue, sound, music, editing, 'cause i think many movies forget this happens to some viewers

21 hours ago, Brónach said:

Dune is literally a movie star movie. I'd say it's why a lot of people saw it.

Really? To me it was definitely Villeneuve trying to recreate Frank Herbert's universe on the big screen. I don't think his movie rested on the shoulders or the fame of Chalamet or any other actor.