Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

On 23/06/2022 at 12:05 PM, Brónach said:

Hopefully it helps using reasonable character design, cinematography, dialogue, sound, music, editing, 'cause i think many movies forget this happens to some viewers

Thankfully, not to JWfaners :)

Why do Star Wars fans refuse to even watch Dune? Is Dune not a part of what made Star Wars? Or is it because Hans Zimmer wrote the score? What is it?! 

New date change:

“Dune: Part Two,” the second chapter in the Warner Bros. and Legendary sci-fi epic, has been postponed and will now open in theaters on Nov. 17, 2023 instead of Oct. 20, 2023.

On its new release date, the “Dune” sequel is scheduled to open in theaters alongside Lionsgate’s “Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” and Universal’s “Trolls 3.”

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/dune-part-two-release-date-delay-1235306925/

On 27/06/2022 at 7:52 AM, AC1 said:

Why do Star Wars fans refuse to even watch Dune

I don't refuse to watch DUNE. I've see both telly series, and Lynch's version is among my all-time favourite films.

I've only seen the new one once, and I do want to watch it, again.

On 26/06/2022 at 11:52 PM, AC1 said:

Why do Star Wars fans refuse to even watch Dune? Is Dune not a part of what made Star Wars? Or is it because Hans Zimmer wrote the score? What is it?! 

Who are you talking about? I've actively watched the movie at least four times. And I've watched it in bits and pieces dozens of times more than that.

And I'm certainly a Star Wars fan.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Apparently, Florence Pugh has been cast, as Princess Irulan.

She has. Like almost 2 months ago. Austin Butler (Elvis) has also been added to the cast around the same time

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Apparently, Florence Pugh has been cast, as Princess Irulan.

On 12/05/2022 at 3:04 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

And Florence Pugh (only know here by name) as Irulan and Austin Butler (not familiar with him at all, but apparently I've seen him in OUATIH) as Feyd-Rautha.

Interesting.

13 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Just think, by the time we see this we'll have been disappointed by another Indiana Jones film!

And thrilled by another John Williams Indiana Jones score!

On 18/07/2022 at 7:00 PM, Tallguy said:

Just think, by the time we see this we'll have been disappointed by another Indiana Jones film!

Considering that it is directed by a lately very competent James Mangold, I would not rely on that kind of pessimism.

Sorry, Alex, but that is one film that has never won me over. I appreciate it, and I am aware that there is a lot of love, for it, but I have never been seduced by its charms.

If we are talking about urbanite kids, then EXPLORERS is the goods.

On 22/07/2022 at 8:43 AM, Brundlefly said:

Considering that it is directed by a lately very competent James Mangold, I would not rely on that kind of pessimism.

I think having an action film with an 80-year-old action star will be working against him. Hard.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sorry, Alex, but that is one film that has never won me over. I appreciate it, and I am aware that there is a lot of love, for it, but I have never been seduced by its charms.

If we are talking about urbanite kids, then EXPLORERS is the goods.

Wow. I keep thinking I'll like Explorers because the idea is cute and I love the score. Then the movie keeps telling me I'm wrong.

I'm not a Goonies fan either. It almost makes me want to turn in my Gen X Nerd card. Real Genius? That's the stuff.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think having an action film with an 80-year-old action star will be working against him. Hard.

What a great opportunity to twist our concept of what a action hero should be like - you think Mangold will grab it?

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What a great opportunity to twist our concept of what a action hero should be like - you think Mangold will grab it?

Something tells me Indiana Jones is not the right film series in which to do that...

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wow! We must be in the minority with this, Richard. I sometimes feel like an impostor at JWFan simply because I'm not a Goonie. 

On 23/07/2022 at 10:58 AM, AC1 said:

Wow! We must be in the minority with this, Richard. I sometimes feel like an impostor at JWFan simply because I'm not a Goonie. 

Awful film.

I bought the score before seeing it.

On 23/07/2022 at 6:58 PM, AC1 said:

I sometimes feel like an impostor at JWFan simply because I'm not a Goonie. 

Don't be. You are not an imposter, and neither am I. It's just two people's opinion of one film. In the big scheme of things, it's absolutely zero.

On 23/07/2022 at 10:58 AM, AC1 said:

It's not like you don't like Empire of the Sun. 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

It's not like you don't like Empire of the Sun. 

Never saw that, either.

I do know David Lean ended-up giving it to Spielberg because he thought the script was arse...

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Well, you know, Lean had a foul mouth. :D He told Kenneth Tynan: "Beware of the man who is softly whispering in your ear, as he may be pissing in your pocket."

Truer words, dude, truer words.

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Are you saying Jim is a Goonie?

No, but Basie might be.

On 23/07/2022 at 4:17 PM, Chen G. said:

forget the action, think on the adventure then

Not sure if there a thread for this, has anyone here read the Hyperion Cantos? I would love to see a great director adapt that into something. I heard Bradley Cooper is developing a project.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

Not sure if there a thread for this, has anyone here read the Hyperion Cantos? I would love to see a great director adapt that into something. I heard Bradley Cooper is developing a project.

I have. I liked them. My brother adores them. 

• 1 month later...

I decided to rewatch Villeneuve's Dune but this time as a TV series. First episode (+-55 min) is really good and to me it's more involving than Blade Runner 2049 or Arrival. My one and only remark is Paul's mother. She's too much of a sweet normal person, a concerned mom and not enough a member of the creepy Bene Gesserit. I also don't like her accent or the way she speaks. Looking forward to episode 2.

l-intro-1637183605.jpg