Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

18 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

I wonder who will score the TV series and will Zimmer's music set the style or will this be completely separate thing. 

Hopefully HZ scores it or at least writes the themes for it. 

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Dune: Part 2 has a new release date - November 3, 2023 - two weeks earlier than previously scheduled.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:19 AM, Jay said:

You posted immediately after... 

‘Dune’ Prequel Series at HBO Max Adds Five to Cast

Sarah-Sofie Boussnina, Shalom Brune-Franklin, Faoileann Cunningham, Aoife Hinds and Chloe Lea have all been cast in the series, which is currently titled “Dune: The Sisterhood.” They join previously announced cast members Emily Watson and Shirley Henderson as well as Indira Varma in the series, which hails from Legendary Television.

The show is set 10,000 years before the events of “Dune” and is based on the novel “Sisterhood of Dune” by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Per the official logline, the show “follows the Harkonnen Sisters (Watson and Henderson) as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.”

Boussnina (“The Colony,” “Knightfall”) will play Princess Ynez, described as “an independent young princess dealing with the pressures of her responsibility as heir to the Golden Lion Throne. Brune-Franklin (“The Tourist,” “Line of Duty”) plays Mikaela, said to be “a strong-willed Fremen woman who serves the royal family while longing for a home planet she’s never known.”

Cunningham (“The Northman,” “The Witcher: Blood Origin”) plays Sister Jen, described as “a fierce, unpredictable acolyte in training at the Sisterhood School who rarely reveals her emotional core.” Hinds (“Normal People,” “Derry Girls”) plays Sister Emeline, said to be “a zealous acolyte descended from a long line of martyrs, who carries fervent religion to her training at the Sisterhood.” Lea (“Foundation,” “Great Expectations”) plays Lila, described as “the youngest acolyte at the Sisterhood School with a deep empathy beyond her years.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, mstrox said:

I’m certain we’ll never see a BTTF4 with the original cast, but we will see a remake or reboot in our lifetimes, after Zemeckis and Gale kick th bucket.  If they do it while Lloyd is still alive, he’ll cash a paycheck.

maybe sooner than I thought!

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Timothee Chalamet in Petra for Dune 2.

313369989_490765216406593_1446141187532104013_n.jpg

I don't think they're shooting at Petra, but rather some of the actors visited Petra during the weeks the movie was being shot in Wadi Rum, Jordan 

• 2 weeks later...

On this day, we commence filming Dune: The Sisterhood for HBO Max. Through machinations taking place millenia before the story you all know, we descend into the coven that one day shall be named the Bene Gesserit. Say it with me: “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.” 🖤

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClRCC_8Nihn/

On 21/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, Tallguy said:

That's a hard no then.

"Who is the lead in your Dune movie?"

"It's a guy called ..."

"A GUY??! Didn't you know all IPs in 2022 need a female lead? Quick, what's the nearest thing we can film to appease the Twitter mob? Sisterhood of Dune? Sounds perfect"

11 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

"It's a guy called ..."

"A GUY??! Didn't you know all IPs in 2022 need a female lead? Quick, what's the nearest thing we can film to appease the Twitter mob? Sisterhood of Dune? Sounds perfect"

.....who the fuck on Twitter complained about Dune having too many dudes?

Hell, given this is under the new Discovery management now, I expect it to be canceled after how they treated Batgirl and heavily minimized staff in I'll just say specific ways.

This is so fucking direct in its bitterness that I'm kind of impressed.

Now, if you'd actually bothered to use Google at all, you could see that this particular group is quite prominent in the universe. Zimmer even made a whole track for them that actually kicks a lot of ass! Just saying that perhaps it isn't so weird to make a spin off related to them.

5 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

"It's a guy called ..."

I want to be clear that "Hard no" is because of Kevin J. Anderson.

4 hours ago, HunterTech said:

.....who the fuck on Twitter complained about Dune having too many dudes?

A fair number. Also there were complaints that the Fremen were not diverse enough, and of course also that they were too diverse.

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

A fair number. Also there were complaints that the Fremen were not diverse enough, and of course also that they were too diverse.

Did they forget that this is the series with The Baron in it? One can't be particularly surprised if something made in a specific period of time will more likely than not retain some dated aspects in adaptations.

I'm certainly a lot more forgiving about these things (mainly because smart enough folks can usually introduce nuance when they find them), but it's times like these I'm grateful that I've effectively just restricted myself to a few properties for the time being.

17 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

"It's a guy called ..."

Hmmmm. The Bene Gesserit are an integral part of the Dune universe (in this case, "universe" is apt) and given that they're an ancient order mired in "plots within plots" and all manner of intrigue, it's no surprise they'd be regarded as excellent fodder for a TV series.  The fact that they happen to be a female order probably didn't hurt when HBO green lit this, but I don't think it's the raison d'être.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

So what does everyone think about Jonsi doing the score for Dune: The Sisterhood? I honestly never heard a score from him. 

http://allegro-talentgroup.squarespace.com/jnsi

He goes where no one goes.

6 hours ago, Mephariel said:

So what does everyone think about Jonsi doing the score for Dune: The Sisterhood? I honestly never heard a score from him. 

http://allegro-talentgroup.squarespace.com/jnsi

This is pretty disappointing. I only know him from the HTTYD songs but I would have hoped that Zimmer would either score it or provide themes. As the show is about the Bene Gesserit it would have been cool to hear the Bene Gesserit thematic material from Dune used in the show.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Interesting. Both this announcement and the recent announcement about the new Lord of the Rings movies go out of their way to stress how important it is that they honour & stay true to the "source material". I wonder if the overwhelming fan backlash to Rings of Power has caused studios, or at least Warner/HBO, to take notice.

20 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I wonder if the overwhelming fan backlash to Rings of Power has caused studios, or at least Warner/HBO, to take notice.

Did the backlash actually affect ratings?

On 1/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, Tallguy said:

Did the backlash actually affect ratings?

Who knows. I can't see how it couldn't have impacted ratings, but we only know what Amazon tell us. 

I think there was some independent tracking that seemed to indicate, while the show got good numbers, it was hardly the GOT level cultural phenomenon Amazon was hoping for, and got beat by things like Stranger Things, House of the Dragon, several Star Wars & Marvel series & Amazon's own The Boys.  But @Chen G. can probably elaborate further.

Given what they paid for it, the hype, fan-backlash and good but not stellar ratings, I can't help think Amazon is probably a little disappointed in the results. 

• 1 month later...

I was convinced that Avatar 2 was going to bomb so I'm no expert on which movie will be successful or not.

That being said, a lot of people see Villeneuve like he's the Second Coming so I wouldn't underestimate anything. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else think that the there's much less hype for Part Two than for Part One? I have a feeling that it will bomb at the box office next November. I hope I'm wrong.

Yea the movie opens 6 months from now and there's no hype yet.  Maybe WB is waiting to start after The Flash and Barbie are out?

The Marvels and the Hunger Games prequel will also open in November and they have released at least a teaser. Dune 2, on the other hand, there's nothing released yet. Neither the other WB movies that will come out later this year (Aquaman 2, Wonka) have teasers yet.

I guess their marketing department is too focused on The Flash and Barbie right now. 

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else think that the there's much less hype for Part Two than for Part One? I have a feeling that it will bomb at the box office next November. I hope I'm wrong.

I have very little doubt Part Two will gross a lot more than Part One at the box office. Part One had a very tough hill to climb, with the pandemic and the simultaneous HBO Max release. 

This can only increase. Besides, it's still 6 months away. Marketing will ramp up when it needs to

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think it is the opposite. I think people are a lot more excited about Part Two because Part One sort of got the introduction out of the way and people are ready to settle into the world. I could be wrong though. 

Well, speaking for myself, after seeing Part 1 I have next to zero desire to see the second. Sure, I'll eventually see it, hopefully in theaters... But I'm not hyped.

I used to be a big Villeneuve fan, I loved Arrival, Prisoners, BR2049, etc, but Dune was his weakest movie by far. It left me so cold and uninterested by the end. I couldn't care less about Chalamet's Paul and his quest to avenge his father or something. It's not an awful movie by any means (cinematography and VFX were great) but not very good either.

That said, last year I also had zero hype for Avatar 2 and I ended up liking it more than I thought I would (though I suspect the crappiness of most blockbuster movies last year helped A2 to look like Citizen Kane in comparison).