Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

The odd thing is that I'm currently reading the book (I read it once, some 20 years ago, but barely remembered anything), and because I mis-remembered the cast list of the new film (what is it with my memory? And yet I can tell you the release dates of tons of films most people have never even heard of based on the score albums…), I've been automatically/unintentionally picturing Duke Leto Atreides as Stellan Skarsgård, when in fact he's playing the Harkonnen Baron and Leto is played by Oscar Isaac… And, except for the age difference, I think Skarsgård would be an excellent choice as Leto.

• 2 weeks later...

I pray this movie is a success!

Its guaranteed to already look incredible and I’m sure it will be well-acted. But so did BR:2049. And nobody saw it. I really want the other half of this story to be told!

I would love for this to enter the zeitgeist the way The LOTR trilogy did. But in the 20 years since those films were released, vast word-building sagas have become a pretty regular occurrence. TV/Streaming today is saturated with them. A blessing and a curse depending on if you’re into those types of stories. Dune will really have to work hard to stand out.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I think it does and I think it will. But the real question is whether people are going to acknowledge that.

Fingers crossed!

Genre fans will hopefully flock to it. Whether it can win over the “casual movie goer” remains to be seen and will depend on word of mouth. 

I was only a freshman in Highschool, but it seemed like everyone was going to see LoTR just to see what all the hype was about. I pray for a similar buzz for this one. 

1 hour ago, toothless said:

I don’t know anything about Dune so that might be fitting but. When I look at this trailer I’m like “Yay another desaturated sci-fy film”.

I.WANT.COLORS 😂

You should go see it. It's Villeneuve. Hitherto he dodged this trend of desaturation very successfully. Maybe it's just the streamlined trailer, but the typical Villeneuve flick has the full range of colours used as in high end 70s productions.

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Foreign trailer has lots of new footage:

There's actually very, very little new footage in there

How can you tell? Did you guys memorize the previous trailer footage?!

And itsn't it funny how "non-casual moviegoers" are so conservative when it comes to color grading?

On 7/10/2021 at 1:42 AM, Brundlefly said:

You should go see it. It's Villeneuve. Hitherto he dodged this trend of desaturation very successfully. Maybe it's just the streamlined trailer, but the typical Villeneuve flick has the full range of colours used as in high end 70s productions.

I fully intend to see it 🙂

On 6/25/2021 at 2:04 PM, Edmilson said:

Dune has been moved back from October 1st to October 22.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/warner-bros-dune-many-saints-of-newark-cry-macho/

Expect it to bomb regardless of quality.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Will it be the new Blade Runner 2049 or the new Lord of the Rings (in terms of box office, of course)?

I expect this to bomb or badly underperform, regardless of whether it's a good film (which I'm sure it will be).

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Will it be the new Blade Runner 2049 or the new Lord of the Rings (in terms of box office, of course)?

Ooo I hope it is the latter. It would be so good for the movie theaters!

On 6/26/2021 at 1:19 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

yet I can tell you the release dates of tons of films most people have never even heard of based on the score albums…

I don't quite see the connection here. The release date is rarely printed in the booklet, as far as I know.

23 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Expect it to bomb regardless of quality.

Two financial failures in a row. Villneuve will become a persona non grata in Hollywood. Netflix will save him.

I don't think anybody thinks of this as a remake of the old film, but simply a different adaptation of the same book which an old film had also adapted

Regardless, I've never read the book or seen the old movie (or the Sci Fi Channel movie either), so it's all new to me

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't quite see the connection here. The release date is rarely printed in the booklet, as far as I know.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just making a joke, but in either case I don't understand. What has the booklet got to do with anything?

40 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Two financial failures in a row. Villneuve will become a persona non grata in Hollywood. Netflix will save him.

I guess this has always had the potential to bomb. Now there's the added uncertainty factor of COVID waves and potential restrictions. Let's hope that there are few restrictions, and that the simple fact that people *can* see a big budget scifi epic at the theatre works in the film's favour.

35 minutes ago, AC1 said:

What's to spoil? It's a remake!

It's not.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm not sure if you're serious or just making a joke, but in either case I don't understand. What has the booklet got to do with anything?

I don't see how listening to soundtracks would make you remember the release dates of the films.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's not.

The question still stands. Of course, who knew that Jay never saw the David Lynch version?!

2 hours ago, toothless said:

Not everywhere :P

In Brazil the movie will also come out in late October, like with the USA :( .

Maybe the plus side of the movie being released in September in some countries is that we'll get to hear Zimmer's score earlier.

Its a terrible story imho. When finished the book in 7th grade In '73 I thought well  this will be a fun book report. I generally dislike most sci-fi which I rate slightly above self help books and below harlequin romance in terms of quality.

In all fairness the release date is not very good for a big budget film. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see how listening to soundtracks would make you remember the release dates of the films.

My comment was on the kind of information my mind retains, not where it gets it from.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Regardless, I've never read the book or seen the old movie (or the Sci Fi Channel movie either), so it's all new to me

That must be an awesome way in, actually. As I've said before, my only connection to DUNE is the Lynch film and the videogames from the 90s. And reading about the aborted Jodorowsky version. Never saw any other incarnation, including those TV things from the 90s/2000s. I think I skimmed through the book once, but never read it properly.

My interest in the source material is minimal anyway. I'm going into this for an awesome, visionary Villeneuve film and Zimmer score.

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm going into this for an awesome, visionary Villeneuve film and Zimmer score.

Me too. I liked all Villeneuve films so far, and I think Zimmer's score at the very least will be interesting. Also, the cast is amazing.

This one has the potential to be one of the best theatrical experiences of the year.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

There's lots of movies I've never seen

It's OK. All people haven't seen most movies.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't think anybody thinks of this as a remake of the old film, but simply a different adaptation of the same book which an old film had also adapted.

Indeed.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

You should check out the Lynch version sometime, perhaps after the new remaster comes out. If for no other reason than it's an important part of any science fiction films fan's cinematic vocabulary.

Really interesting production design as well.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

You should check out the Lynch version sometime, perhaps after the new remaster comes out. If for no other reason than it's an important part of any science fiction films fan's cinematic vocabulary.

And the fantastic Toto/Marty Paich score.

I'll probably check it out at some point.

Of course, if I love the Villenue film, than seeing it would spoil the second Villenue film's plot

The source material is a fantastic sci-fi yarn with timeless messages about things like environmentalism, power, and religious zeal. If this film does well, a film franchise could be great. Eventually it gets some strong female characters in the later books, which fits in nicely with modern film priorities. I'm not sure how they will explain the plot device of using physical activity to awaken dormant genetic memories, which is pure scientific malarkey, but that's three or four books away. 

The David Lynch movie is goofy but is chock-full of great actors you've seen elsewhere. Patrick Stewart with hair. Virginia Madsen. The bad guy general from Air Force One. And who doesn't want to see a shirtless Sting? 

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody who's straight?

I'm straight, and I don't mind shirtless Sting. In fact, I'm happy whenever Sting shows up in a film, he's not a bad actor.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Let's hope there will be a second film.

Indeed. It bugs me that I'm already far into the second half of the book and reading stuff that the Villeneuve adaptation(s) might never get to. Especially because ending halfway through would mean they're hardly past the overall story setup.