Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

I've seen all there is -- JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013), the documentary on the unrealized, but hyperambitious Jodorowsky project, the Lynch version and the 2000 mini-series. I actually have a soft spot for the Lynch version, especially Toto's great score. But there's no denying that there is a curse related to adaptations of Frank Herbert's source material. Hopefully, Villeneuve is the man to break it. I think he can.

Hopefully he does good. I don't know too much about actors, so I'm not gonna speculate there. I like Lynch's version solely for the aesthetic. I think it was the perfect match for Dune. I'm sure that whatever Villeneuve does it will look good though.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I've never seen Dune in any of its various forms.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Same here!

Guys, you don't know what you're missing. If you watch it, make sure you see the theatrical version, and not the dreadful TV calamity.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I actually have a soft spot for the Lynch version, especially Toto's great score.

:thumbup: Right on, dude. It's one of my top-ten scores of all time...as is the film.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I've seen it all except the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary. Apparently it makes people pumped for a movie that never will exist.

Absolutely. The talent that was supposed to be involved in this is just staggering and insane to imagine.

The book is an incredible masterpiece.

Gosling is far too old for Feyd, but I'm not sure if they're going to keep the ages of the characters as in the book.

Benicio Del Toro as Stilgar would be cool, though

Actually, I would LOVE to see Johannsson in this landscape. Bring it!

That being said, one interesting aspect of this will be to see if Villeneuve will bring in as many pop cultural crossover elements as Jodorowsky and Lynch had in their conceptualizations - from actors to music.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not that enthusiastic about the new adaptation unless the creative team finds real-life parallels to work into the plot; for example, the uprising on Arrakis against the Emperor as a metaphor for the Arab Spring, casting Asian and Middle Eastern actors as the Fremen (a populace constantly exposed to sun, sand, and wind). That would make for a more inspired direction than just mounting yet another adaptation to "right previous wrongs" and satisfy fans of the book. Didn't we already have a Sci-Fi Channel miniseries that tried to make up for the shortcomings in Lynch's version?

The real life parallels are all over the book, you don't need to shoe horn them in.

And the Sci Fi miniseries in much worse than Lynch's movie, IMHO. It has more plot, and that's it

11 minutes ago, Romão said:

The real life parallels are all over the book, you don't need to shoe horn them in.

If it's not in the book, there's no need to add them in afterwards for a movie adaptation. The really great works go beyond simple allegory anyway. And often people will make connections between fiction and the events that are happing in real life, past and present anyway.

Yes! 

Other arrangements could be devised according to the tastes or views of those who like allegory or topical reference. But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

• 1 month later...

Not that familiar with Roth, but I see he's been involved with several movies I consider great: FORREST GUMP, MUNICH, BENJAMIN BUTTON. Of course, he also did the much-criticized THE POSTMAN (which I happen to have a soft spot for). Time will show. I think this project's success has less to do with the screenplay, and more to do with the mise-en-scene and visual direction by Villeneuve.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Postman isnt bad at all. I've always felt people bashed it because of the post Waterworld Costner back-lash.

That's because you love it when a postman read letters while his voice chokes from emotion.

I've never seen The Postman.  I enjoy Waterworld, though.  Especially the longer TV cut that has a lot more world building.