Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

It's harmless fun.  Admittedly, one of the reasons I find it so rewatchable is that I love the JNH score quite a bit.

WATERWORLD (which Roth did NOT write, we should point out) is one of my favourite movies from the 90s, and I've felt that way ever since I saw it in the cinema and most people slaughtered it! So it's been more than 20 years of defending it now.

Waterworld was written by the guy who would go on to direct all the Pitch Black / Riddick movies

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never seen The Postman.  I enjoy Waterworld, though.  Especially the longer TV cut that has a lot more world building.

I seem to recall that when it is shown on TV, it actually has the look of a TV movie. 

Hmmm, it had a big budget and high production values, but perhaps when the widescreen frame has its sides chopped off for TV, it ends up looking more like a parade of closeups, and loses some of its cinematic flair

I've never felt there was any "TV" about it when I've seen it on the small screen (which I've probably done some 10 times over the years).

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I seem to recall that when it is shown on TV, it actually has the look of a TV movie. 

I kinda know what you mean. Wasn't this the most expensive film ever made at the time? Never really looked it.

My guess is like Jaws, the scenes shot on the ocean just inflated the budget dramatically 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, it had a big budget and high production values, but perhaps when the widescreen frame has its sides chopped off for TV, it ends up looking more like a parade of closeups, and loses some of its cinematic flair

Actually, it's proportions are 1.85 : 1. Remarkably, it is still a film with little in the way of cinematic flair. 

If I never saw it before and saw it for the first time now, I'd probably think it was dumb. But since I saw it when I was 15 and love the score, I've never had a problem watching it again. Like I said its harmless fun. You can't go wrong with Dennis Hopper chewing the scenery as a bad guy in a post apocalyptic society. 

I admit I have a bit of a weak spot for long blonde hair's ability to automatically stand out and catch one's eye. I'm quite basic in that way where my taste in women goes. Brunette's standout too, but it's much more subtle and understated. Both are sexy as fuck. 

I'm extremely detail oriented when it comes to what attracts me in a woman. It's usually in the smallest of details. Cup size, hair color, eye color, even general body shape don't really draw my attention. Things like posture, gait, equal fingernail length (a pet peeve), composure etc etc is what catch my eye.

The last woman i dated semi seriously, i'm not actually sure what her eye color was, though I assume brown. 

The way she walked was excellent though. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

If I never saw it before and saw it for the first time now, I'd probably think it was dumb. But since I saw it when I was 15 and love the score, I've never had a problem watching it again. Like I said its harmless fun. You can't go wrong with Dennis Hopper chewing the scenery as a bad guy in a post apocalyptic society. 

I am the same. The cinematography is nothing special (possibly contributing to a 'made-for-TV' feel) but the production values and especially the score are still impressive. The hammy fun of the Smokers aren't for everyone, but as allegory for our own civilization I think they are great!

The 'Ulysses Cut' is an extended edition which ramps up that allegory and has more about the mythos and culture of the world. Along with the little character details, I think it improves the film. It's just a shame the extended scenes are not of the same picture quality as the rest of it.

I think I'll give The Postman a miss, especially as I'm not American!

From what I've read it seems like the film's characters get sentimental that the United States postal system and government coming back to life. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a ton of media that has been US-focused (and I do like a good modern western), but the film has been accused of "mawkish jingoism" by a US critic, and I've seen enough American films to know that American jingoism on film leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I think it might for any other non-American too.

The Postman also has 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone think Villeneuve will still get carte blanche and all the money he needs for Dune? The previous movie (Lynch) lost even more money than Blade Runner ...

I'm pretty sure he will. He seems to be like Nolan, in terms of being in the good graces of studio execs. And I believe this Dune project is still underway, just after Villeneuve's "much-needed break".

I don't know.  Nolan's films make a lot of money.

It's not about Villeneuve, he's right for the job if anyone is. But I'm skeptical if the studio is going to want to invest that much money in a non-franchise, big budget cerebral sci-fi project after 2049.  At a minimum, they'll be taking a second look at it.

That is my feeling as well. Dune being a global success is not a sure thing (unless Nolan is the director). I'm guessing the budget for creating an entire different universe has to be at least 180 or 200 million (without promotion costs) and they might lose most of it.

Unfortunately we may have to wait a while before the film can actually get made. I'm assuming that Villeneuve will have to do a "work for hire" type of film that if successful enough, will lead to Dune getting greenlit. At least that's what I would assume, though personally I hope that's not the case. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm assuming that Villeneuve will have to do a "work for hire" type of film ...

Someone To Watch Over Me 2

I believe there was a recent interview (after the BR 2049's lack of financial success was apparent) where he confirmed that Dune is still happening and will be his next film. He just plans to take an extended break after the onslaught of his last 5 films.

Will dig it up somewhere.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I believe there was a recent interview (after the BR 2049's lack of financial success was apparent) where he confirmed that Dune is still happening and will be his next film. He just plans to take an extended break after the onslaught of his last 5 films.

Will dig it up somewhere.

We'll see. It really isn't up to him, and that sounds like the kind of confident thing studioss always say. I could see it lagging in production hell for a while, Villeneuve doing something else, and then the plug is quietly pulled.

Again, I'm just applying common sense. Dune would be 150-200 mil film. Which means it needs to make 300 mil just to break even...almost twice what 2049 has made so far. The original, like the original Blade Runner, lost money. So unless they can do it for a lot cheaper than that, I don't see how the math works (as much as I want to see this).  Who's the audience?

Dune is still an easier sell than Blade Runner. Just in terms of pure showmanship and spetacle, it provides plenty of visual opportunities on which you can hang a great deal of the promotional material (Sandworms and whatnot)

On 25/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, Stefancos said:

You feel is should be all about the worms?

Not really, but about the ecology in general.

The problem with the worms is that they don't really make sense, so I don't know how to change some of the things so they work betterç

In general, I find the ecological issues are better suited to develop them into the movie (visually and everything) than the religious aspect of the book.