Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

8 hours ago, Richard said:

It only had one "star", and he wasn't even an actor.

I thought he was very distracting. Instead of a character, we saw the naked frontman of The Police.

06-dune-sting.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x

• 4 weeks later...

Complete main cast:

- Timothee Chalamet (Paul Atreides)

- Rebecca Ferguson (Lady Jessica)

- Stellan Skarsgård (Baron Vladimir)

- Dave Bautista ("Beast" Rabban)

- Josh Brolin (Gurney Halleck)

- Zendaya (Chani)

- Charlotte Rampling (Reverend Mother Mohiam)

- Oscar Isaac (Duke Leto Atreides)

- Javier Bardem (Stilgar)

- Jason Momoa (Duncan Idaho)

- David Dastmalchian (Piter De Vries)

- Stephen McKinley Henderson (Unknown)

- Chen Chang (Dr. Yueh)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:19 PM, Jay said:

Charlotte Rampling (45 YEARS) :lol:

Stellan Skarsgård (THOR) :lol:

David Bautista...actually, just David Bautista :lol:

There's already a ready-made language. Lynch used it, to good effect.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, Alexcremers said:

Complete main cast:

- Timothee Chalamet (Paul Atreides)

- Rebecca Ferguson (Lady Jessica)

- Stellan Skarsgård (Baron Vladimir)

- Dave Bautista ("Beast" Rabban)

- Josh Brolin (Gurney Halleck)

- Zendaya (Chani)

- Charlotte Rampling (Reverend Mother Mohiam)

- Oscar Isaac (Duke Leto Atreides)

- Javier Bardem (Stilgar)

- Jason Momoa (Duncan Idaho)

- David Dastmalchian (Piter De Vries)

- Stephen McKinley Henderson (Unknown)

- Chen Chang (Dr. Yueh)

Not quite complete, Alex.

Who plays the Shadout Mapes?

Who plays Saddam IV?

Who plays Thufir?

Who plays Dr. Keynes?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, the writer of Prometheus, Passengers, the Tom Cruise Mummy, and an upcoming reboot of Cube!

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah yes, the writer of Prometheus, Passengers, the Tom Cruise Mummy, and an upcoming reboot of Cube!

Well, we can't have everything!

(The first 50 minutes of Passengers was okay)

Yea it was a good premise, and pretty decently set up, but then slowly falls apart until the entire third act is all cliche

• 4 months later...

Oscar Isaac Says Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ is a “Nightmarish,” “Shocking” and “Very Visceral” Film

We’re just about one year away from the release of Denis Villeneuve‘s Dune, and comments star Oscar Isaac made to EW this week are sure to jack your excitement up to eleven.

“It’s just a wholly, wholly different thing,” Isaac told the site, when asked how it differs from David Lynch’s 1984 adaptation of Frank Herbert’s novel. “I couldn’t imagine anyone more suited for the tone of the original Frank Herbert novels than Denis. There are some things that are — for lack of a better word — nightmarish about what you see.”

Isaac continued, “There’s just this kind of brutalist element to it. It’s shocking. It’s scary. It’s very visceral.”

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3597542/oscar-isaac-says-denis-villeneuves-dune-nightmarish-shocking-visceral-film/

Interesting.

Ripping-out the heart plug of someone, while raping them? "Shocking".

A giant worm-like being, that floats around in a tank of gas, and has a mouth that moves four ways? "Nightmarish".

Shoving a blade up through the base of someone's skull, and into the brain, and then solidifying their eyes? "Visceral".

Top that, Denis!

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Prisoners showed that Villeneuve knows how to do "dark and disturbing" cinema, lol.

Why the "LOL"? PRISONERS is an excellent film.

As I've said countless times by now, Villeneuve is the perfect choice to direct this epic.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

As I've said countless times by now, Villeneuve is the perfect choice to direct this epic.

Indeed. Couldn't think of a better choice for the material

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like it too, in fact, Villeneuve is my favorite working filmmaker right now. He still have yet to release a movie that I dislike. And Dune is easily my most eagerly anticipated movie of 2020.

The LOL is more because my comment, although it has a truth in it (Villeneuve has directed a dark film such as Prisoners, and therefore he can top the darkness in the book/Fincher 80's flick), I wasn't stating it as a serious argument about the qualities or style of Villeneuve's filmmaking, and more leaning into the meme side of the "dark and disturbing" movies, which is a favorite among JWFanners.

But I dunno, I guess memes become less funny when you have to explain them.

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

I hope so. I'm not interested in DUNE because of the characters.

For its world then? Okay, but you know what they say, a place is only as good as the people in it. 

Hmm. I don't know. There's plenty of great "world-centric" films without real "characters". Like Alien!

And just echoing the "Villeneuve is perfect for this" sentiment from above!

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

For its world then? Okay, but you know what they say, a place is only as good as the people in it. 

Nah, screw people. I'm particularly interested in "experience-oriented" cinema wherein the goal is to engross the spectator in an environment. This can either be arthouse films like ETERNITY AND A DAY or LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD or mainstream films like AVATAR and ALIEN. There are obviously people in them, and they have a function, but that's not where the priority lies at all. I'm confident Villeneuve will provide something similar, given his track record. PRISONERS is about 'mood', ENNEMI and ARRIVAL are about 'state of mind' and BR 2049 -- while the most character-driven of them all -- is more about 'world building', really.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Hmm. I don't know. There's plenty of great "world-centric" films without real "characters". Like Alien!

One of the reasons of the success of Alien is how realistic and relatable the characters are. It instantly gives them an extra dimension, making them into something more than just random characters or cannon fodder. We connect to their unseen-before realism, their commonness, naturalism, and yes, likability. And if you would ask me, it's rarely done better. Of course, Alien is one of my favorite movies, but it's not just because of its the way it looks. It's the combination of creating a convincing place inhabited with equally convincing characters. Not every movie pulls this off. If the characters of Alien really left us cold, then we wouldn't care what happens to them, and the movie would not be were it is today. Heck, Ripley is often cited as one of the best sci-fi heroines of all time. Really, KK, if you believe Alien is a great example for telling me that characters don't matter as long as a movie's world is great, then you did not succeed. Any other examples?