Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

I like Denis Roussous. She likes Demi's Roussous. Do like Demi's Roussous? For people of a certain age...:lol:

Yeah, Demi's Roussous does wail during BLADE RUNNER, but the big difference is, BLADE RUNNER is a fucking good score, while GLADIATOR is, to date, not.

In 1982, 'wailing' was not yet a thing, I believe. To me, Demis' wailing sounds more like some kind of incantation. BTW, I didn't recogize it was Roussos at the time. In fact, for a long time, I thought the voice was that of a woman. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You're not the only one. :)

And it was hard to know because the album wasn't released and there was virtually no information about the score available. 

Funnily enough, I'm less taken in by Zimmer's more serious works. Sure, I can acknowledge their qualities and how they reflect of a better time when he was generally more creative. But I think I tend to have more fun whenever he's just shooting the shit. Which is why I take to some of the more derided works of his here (M:I-2, TASM2, DP), since they have a particular infectious energy to them that appeal to my inner EDM loving 14 year old self. I tend to go elsewhere if I want to really hear anything more substantive. This can certainly change over time, but I get more excitement from him doing trashier movies than anything else.

TASM2 is still a score I can greatly enjoy. Now if only the same could be said about the movie.

DP I didnt really gel with until that Xperiments album came out.

And how can I hate MI2 when its too cheesy to not be fun?

I have a weird relationship with TASM2: I hate most of the score, specially the annoying Electro's theme, but I really like the ending music, You're That Spider Guy. It's for me a case of a single cue that single handledly saved the entire score for me, lol.

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What attracts you to his work, @wowbobwow ?

I'm not great at articulating these things, but here's a go.  His output is consistently good.  I've seen Prisoners, Enemy, Blade Runner 2049, Arrival.  Blade Runner 2049 has been the best of the revivals, along with Twin Peaks and Mad Max -- if you ask me.  I haven't caught Sicaro or his works prior to Prisoners but I've been meaning to. 

What attracts me to his work is his visual style, the work he gets out of the artists he surrounds himself with, and am engaged by the themes he likes to tackle -- especially Enemy, which deals with the shadow self of the main character taking control of his life, and Blade Runner, which deals with a man caught between the world of the artificial and the world of the natural.  He's able to create effectice visceral moments, like the scene in Prisoners where Jake Gylenhaal is driving through rain in traffic while disoriented or the scene in Arrival where Amy Adams & crew first encounter the extraterrestrial.  Perhaps most importantly his movies respect the audience and their intelligence.

1 hour ago, wowbobwow said:

Probably the most anticipated film for me since I've heard about it.  Villeneuve is my favorite director that's getting big studio work right now.

When Dune bombs (which lets be honest, seems in the cards), he’ll have two Box Office flops back to back. Doubt he’ll keep getting these big budget movies. 

Just now, Lord Zimmer said:

When Dune bombs (which lets be honest, seems in the cards), he’ll have two Box Office flops back to back. Doubt he’ll keep getting these big budget movies. 

We'll see.  Why is it in the cards for Dune to bomb, exactly?

Because it's based on source material from the 60s and was last brought to public attention in the 80s, both pieces of which ultimately have little connection to today's audiences that are spoonfed cycles of Marvel/DC/Star Wars/etc branding. Nobody really knows what Dune is anymore, and it doesn't exactly have the most digestible logline. And if the fans couldn't save Blade Runner 2049, despite its own obvious merits, then the chances of Dune's financial success is not high.

Unless you're Nolan, big-budget, high-concept "original" properties like this are a big gamble. But I hope it's a hit, at least for the industry's sake.

If Dune works as a big space fantasy movie for December, it could fill the space previously occupied by Star Wars. LOTR was also a "cult" propriety based on an old book only nerds knew/cared about, and it became a fan favorite, audience friendly box office hit.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

If Dune works as a big space fantasy movie for December, it could fill the space previously occupied by Star Wars. LOTR was also a "cult" propriety based on an old book only nerds knew/cared about, and it became a fan favorite, audience friendly box office hit.

Yes, but that was a very different time.

I doubt it'll be a mega-franchise, but perhaps I will share in your cautious optimism...

Also, with no Star Wars, Aquaman, Hobbit or Avatar this year, Dune will be the biggest fantasy/sci-fi blockbuster of the end of the year. Whoever wants some epic fantasy will have only this.

The big question mark is how much "artsier" WB will allow Villeneuve to be. He went for a more slow burn, contemplative route for BR2049 and the movie bombed. If he can make a movie that pleases the audience more familiarized with SW and Aquaman as much as the critics, it does have a chance of being a hit.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Because it's based on source material from the 60s and was last brought to public attention in the 80s, both pieces of which ultimately have little connection to today's audiences

You sure?  Because I'm pretty sure we still live in a time where powerful countries are still fighting over natural resources.

I think Dune might be a big hit.  I think it will probably be at least somewhat successful.  I don't think 2049 and even Lynch's Dune is a good way to gauge its potential.

1 hour ago, wowbobwow said:

You sure?  Because I'm pretty sure we still live in a time where powerful countries are still fighting over natural resources.

Yea. That's not going to sell tickets.

The first book is being split into 2 movies; There are 6 original books, and another dozen offshoot books by other authors as well

They're separate stories, though, right?

Anyway, that I've never heard of these sequels is pretty telling. Dune is a name I recognize, and its clearly been big enough in the industry so as to spark interest in adapting almost throughout the seventies. Its sequels, though? I mean, a miniseries is nice, but...

The first three books might work as movies, although the first one is by the far the most cinematic. From the fourth onward they are pretty much impossible to adapt to cinema, I reckon. But the 4th is my favorite book of the bunch

3 hours ago, Romão said:

From the fourth onward they are pretty much impossible to adapt to cinema, I reckon.

Why? Too literary maybe? Current technology is not up to scratch? Too complex for cinemagoers?

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Why? Too literary maybe? Current technology is not up to scratch? Too complex for cinemagoers?

Too much inner monologue, no obvious build up in the plot (of which there is little), the fourth book deals with a character that is a giant worm/human hybrid and has been alive for 3500 years. It's a great read, but I think it might only possibly work as a tv series. If that

I am sure if this movie is successful, they will try to make movies out of the original 3 books

Beyond that, it might be streaming series for the rest

Yes, the first three books present a fairly continuous story. From that point onwards, it becomes much more difficult to adapt.

Anyway, I see this movie grossing something 150 million domestic and 450 million worldwide. Probably enough to pay its budget back, but maybe not enticing enough for the studio to produce sequels

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Fortunately, I do not have to make that choice.

Personally, I'd rather be a poor, but honest, man, rather than a stinking rich liar.

Ahh. Then Hollywood is no place for you, young grasshopper!

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Personally, I'd rather be a poor, but honest, man, rather than a stinking rich liar.

I don't think Villeneuve is poor, actually, he probably has less difficulty paying for his bills than me :(.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, Edmilson said:

That depends, do you prefer to be rich, but infamous, like Michael Bay, or not so rich, but more respected in the industry, like Villeneuve?

The gap between "infamous" and "respected" is huge, whereas the difference between "rich" and "not so rich" is nothing that you should care for as a human being, unless you're hopelessly disoriented by captialist thought patterns.

• 2 months later...

First pic:

A First Look at Timothe Chalamet in Dune

Also, Chalamet said:

“The immediately appealing thing about Paul was the fact that in a story of such detail and scale and world-building, the protagonist is on an anti-hero’s-journey of sorts,” Chalamet said. “He thinks he’s going to be sort of a young general studying his father and his leadership of a fighting force before he comes of age, hopefully a decade later, or something like that.”