Intrada: RAMBO III (New Remastered edition in works !)

Amer

Following their 2CD Deluxe editions of FIRST BLOOD & RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II

Intrada is working on a major 'facelift' on RAMBO III as confirmed by Roger Feigelson at the Intrada message board:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7330

2 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Another one? What was wrong with the last one?

Im assuming a facelift means remix and better remastering of the original tapes and perhaps more alternates; odds and ends. Maybe a 2cd set?

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

It will soon be absolete!

Before that there will be some missing sweeteners and wrong pitched tracks. Then Intrada will repress those faulty editions again and send replacements to all orders shipped.

Well since I don't yet have the last score of the trilogy I'll hold off until they release this "face-lift" version.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

A "facelift" suggests it will probably only get a new cover.

Also some collectible stickers if we are lucky. Sony really spoilt us on that department. I dare Intrada to do better than a fold out poster and collectible covers and stickers!

It will be more along the lines of their remastered RIO CONCHOS re-recording with improved artwork, more liner notes (Hopefully by the Goldsmith  alumnus Jeff Bond)

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What this really needs* is a new recording.

*) and deserves!

Another candidate for Tadlow to re-record then! Which could probably happen since Fitzpatrick and Prometheus Records are keen to record Goldsmith scores.

Tadlow will not re-record 'Rambo III' (i doubt Fitzpatrick is much of a fan, also it's harder to tackle than a straight orchestral score) and Prometheus...well, as far as i know the Goldsmith's were mediocre sellers so it all depends how much private fortune one wants to sink.

I still think a Kickstarter or this or 'Lionheart' might be a better idea. I would gladly pay 100€ for either one, but it has to be seen how much it would accumulate in total. Probably not more than 5,000€, sadly.

Another Rambo III is superfluous. That's because for Intrada there are hardly any scores to expand any more. Except a few titles it's all up to Varese, so why not re-releasing the whole stuff again. There is always a bunch of fans who will buy it.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What this really needs* is a new recording.

*) and deserves!

Marian, maybe the playing by the orchestra was intentionally bad? Maybe Goldsmith indicated those "mistakes" in his score? You know, like some sort of alaetoric shit?

Karol

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

There's still a shitload of scores left to expand.

And 3/4 of that shitload are Varese's matter. The time of enormous Goldmisth-expansion-waves are over!

But luckily The Mummy has a real chance to be done by Intrada! - soon?

33 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

And so do The Last Castle, The Russia House, Supergirl, Wall Street (rejected), etc...

there's still some properties not controlled by Varese Sarabande

Isn't SUPERGIRL restricted to Silva label? or is the Varese OST Album version with different mixes exclusive to Varese. Could the OST album rights and the film score rights owned by different licence holders. That's probably whats keeping someone from bringing out a definitive version.

I'm glad The Mummy, Mulan and The Russia House are not controlled by Varese. Legend neither.

Has anyone an idea why Varese at first expands such auto-pilot-scores like Chain Reaction and Executive Decision instead of starting with more important ones like Air Force One, Medicine Man, The 13th Warrior, Small Soldiers or Leviathan?

50 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm glad The Mummy, Mulan and The Russia House are not controlled by Varese. Legend neither.

Has anyone an idea why Varese at first expands such auto-pilot-scores like Chain Reaction and Executive Decision instead of starting with more important ones like Air Force One, Medicine Man, The 13th Warrior, Small Soldiers or Leviathan?

I suppose that would depend upon the material available to expand and easy to get the rights cleared for all the unreleased cues. I'm sure they have  all these on their 'to do list' but it all depends on the various factors. It takes years to get everything in order. And certainly many titles we have seen released over the years have been many years in the making.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isnt that the same film though ;)

DEEP RISING is like CITIZEN KANE compared to LEVIATHAN but I really want it to get expanded and issued.

But the score of Leviathan is much better than the score of Deep Rising (one of his worst, but it's fun)

7 hours ago, azahid said:

DEEP RISING is like CITIZEN KANE compared to LEVIATHAN but I really want it to get expanded and issued.

Deep Rising, the movie, is awful! So how bad is Leviathan then?!:eh:

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Doug on the Intrada board:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7330&start=15

..we're working on this idea as i write. The never-before-released alternate for "Another Time", which is shorter with a slightly altered performance of the trumpet solo, is actually the version used in the film. So I really want to have it on this completely re-mastered version... which means a 2-CD set would be necessary. It turns out the cue called "Insane" was edited onto another cue way back when so it'll appear just as it always has after all. A previously unreleased separate take of the percussion section for "The Joust" also has a couple of seconds of tympani pre-roll that didn't make it onto any of the previous releases so that may find its way onto the extras, just for completists - though including the heavily-edited version Jerry put together for Scotti Bros. would make a total of three (!) versions appearing now! Since the entire end title in the movie is the song "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", it makes sense to have it included as well, if we can. This brings in Scotti Brothers, who we originally shared a license with back when the movie was new in the late eighties. If everything works out, then including the entire Scotti Bros. release, which featured songs, a Giorgio Moroder piece and seven Goldsmith score cues will all help create a proper-length second CD. No separate trailer music was written for the third movie beyond cut-and-paste tracking from the previous movies. And we've done the Carolco logo already. In any case, the 2-CD idea gets everything Jerry recorded including the two extras, plus the Scotti Bros. release for those interested in a different approach to presenting the movie's music. That's where the discussions are at now.

Whatever we end up doing, the entire 77-minute score disc has already been licensed and has been completely re-edited and newly mastered, finally presenting the score in film chronology with several of the more-awkward (though fine for 1989 purposes) assemblies updated. And we'll have all-new packaging. This is the Rambo III that I want to look at and play. :D 
--Doug

Just now, publicist said:

Thank god the cringeworthy playing and dubiously mixed electronics on the action cues (hardly Goldsmith's most shining hour) will be amended by this.

100% confirmed! Intrada to release Rambo III with all performance flubs fixed!

Ordered!