STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

3 hours ago, Gistech said:

If this L2P comes across to London, the LSO should perform. It would be very interesting to see how they perform those scores after all this time. I'd also be curious to hear how they would perform TFA.

How many musicians from 1976 are still with the LSO? Going by the photos of the players on the LSO website the vast majority don't look much older than I am and I wasn't even a twinkle in the eye in '76. 

I'd believe the LSO would perform to the best of their ability the music as presented on the music sheets provided, as arranged to as accurately match the film presentation as possible. The only real difference should be the sound mix, as the music is the main focus of these types of shows.

9 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

As awesome as this is, I'm pretty disappointed there are no plans (that we know of) for the Prequels.  I'd give pretty much anything for an LTP of Revenge of the Sith.

A 7-week series of all films (thus far) would be pretty amazing.

4 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Doesn't Empire have choir on the approach to cloud city?

It's a 8-voice women's choir, if I remember well. It will likely be repurposed through a synth patch, as it's a very brief moment.

As for ROTJ, I guess the set-up will call for an optional male chorus (I think it's like an 10-12 voice choir) since it's used pretty extensively in all Emperor's scenes. I don't think it can be done with film stems since the choir was recorded together with the orchestra and not on a separate stem (ah, the old days!).

13 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

As for ROTJ, I guess the set-up will call for an optional male chorus (I think it's like an 10-12 voice choir) since it's used pretty extensively in all Emperor's scenes. I don't think it can be done with film stems since the choir was recorded together with the orchestra and not on a separate stem (ah, the old days!).

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a certain producer to lend a hand in tracking down the original multi-track masters for the Original Trilogy, so they isolate certain sections of the orchestra from the scoring sessions.

Didn't they ask if he could achieve the exact same thing with the sparse use of choir in Jurassic Park? Plus isolating the shakuhachi flute for its brief appearances in the score.

I'll probably be in the minority here, but personally, the Original Trilogy doesn't interest me in the slightest score-wise. Say what you want about the prequels, but I'd go to their LTP concerts straightaway (duel of the fates, across the stars, battle of the heroes etc.). TFA would of course be great too, but those older scores, no, sorry.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a certain producer to lend a hand in tracking down the original multi-track masters for the Original Trilogy, so they isolate certain sections of the orchestra from the scoring sessions.

They should do that... and *then* use a real choir anyway. What's next, The Omen done without a choir?

25 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'll probably be in the minority here, but personally, the Original Trilogy doesn't interest me in the slightest score-wise. Say what you want about the prequels, but I'd go to their LTP concerts straightaway (duel of the fates, across the stars, battle of the heroes etc.). TFA would of course be great too, but those older scores, no, sorry.

Why not?

Because for some reason the OT music just doesn't make any lasting impression on me. Granted, I like the Imperial March, but what I mostly remember from those three films is chaotic dissonant music, not my thing at all.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

what I mostly remember from those three films is chaotic dissonant music

That's... a unique impression of the OT scores.

I would consider the prequels and TFA vastly more unfocused and chaotic upon first listen than the OT scores, but that's just me.

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Because for some reason the OT music just doesn't make any lasting impression on me. Granted, I like the Imperial March, but what I mostly remember from those three films is chaotic dissonant music, not my thing at all.

Have you ever listened to these scores?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

The first score (Star Wars, ANH, Episode 4 or whatever you want to call it) is easily the least dissonant of the series, by far. And by design.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Didn't they ask if he could achieve the exact same thing with the sparse use of choir in Jurassic Park? Plus isolating the shakuhachi flute for its brief appearances in the score.

I'm confident everything has been already settled and proofed. This project is in the works since at least a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I'm confident everything has been already settled and proofed. This project is in the works since at least a couple of years.

Is this related to that aborted live-to-projection pamphlet they included in the TFA soundtrack, even claiming Williams would tour and conduct the scores (which naturally never happened and, apparently, was a result of someone jumping the gun without due diligence).

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Jurassic Park Live To Projection features no choir at all.  Only the shakuhachi flute appears as a patch (using the isolated channel of the flute from the original recording sessions)

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is this related to that aborted live-to-projection pamphlet they included in the TFA soundtrack, even claiming Williams would tour and conduct the scores (which naturally never happened and, apparently, was a result of someone jumping the gun without due diligence).

I don't think it ever said anything about JW himself.

It would have been a continuation of the suites played to video montages thing they used to do, presumably.

I wonder how they will play the Dark Side Beckons in RotJ. I have the impression Williams himself couldn't re-record it properly.

I wonder if they will use the original cues and unused music for TESB instead of tracking (searching for luke and han on hoth scene) and edits (the full Ice Planet hoth)

Also here's the chance to hear the Sail Barge music

I'd think the only reason the score would change from that in the film would be if some of the film edits are simply impossible to play. 

Because all the other concerts haven't restored Williams' intentions. 

im guessing not, but do you think there is even the slightest chance he'll be present for the premiere of any of these? I just moved to new york so im can conceivably make it to these. It would be a great pleasure to see him in the flesh.

17 hours ago, Will said:

Because all the other concerts haven't restored Williams' intentions. 

Jaws does in part.

On 2/10/2017 at 10:31 AM, TownerFan said:

It's a 8-voice women's choir, if I remember well. It will likely be repurposed through a synth patch, as it's a very brief moment.

Yeah your right, the Empire Choral section is less than 3-4 bars. 

On 2/10/2017 at 8:10 AM, Jay said:

Jurassic Park Live To Projection features no choir at all.  Only the shakuhachi flute appears as a patch (using the isolated channel of the flute from the original recording sessions)

Oh, really? Wow. 

15 hours ago, Will said:

Oh, right. Well, we'll see exactly how they do it when it premieres. 

I already know what they're doing, and I'm really excited to experience it in person at the world premiere!

I will, of course, post a complete report after the show!

I'm interested to hear how they'll be handling Victory Celebration. I suppose they'll just do a playback of the recording done in '97.

Wish I could attend these.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm interested to hear how they'll be handling Victory Celebration. I suppose they'll just do a playback of the recording done in '97.

Wish I could attend these.

They'll probably do a hybrid of original recording stems and live performance for that piece.

Thanks for exploding my ears.

Seriously, though, that actually made my day.  :lol:

Thanks for putting it together.

It's something I never knew I needed, but now that I have it I can't imagine life without it. 

Pure gold. Listen from 1:15. 

EDIT: Listening to normal music feels really great after this, as well. Another benefit. ;)

:lol: I enjoyed that video more than I probably should have.  At first I wasn't sure why the AOTC and ROTS main titles were included since they are the same recording and mix as the TPM titles, then I realized it contains all the music after the main titles too.  Really points out how different of an opening ROTS was to the five films that came before it

Holy crap! I didn't see that one coming. I'll be at one of the ESB concerts. I've been looking for an excuse to take my wife to NY. This is as good as it gets. Always loved the NY phil, but hearing them playing the whole ESB score is a dream come true. 

Oooh, I just realized that we could get some photos of TFA sheet music at some point too!

I'm dying for another slate or two! 

• 1 month later...