STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

Kalamazoo, yes!

http://www.kalamazoosymphony.com/about-us/kso-news/announcement/kalamazoo-symphony-orchestra-signs-another-three-year-exclusive-agree

The Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra is proud to announce that it has signed another three-year agreement with Disney to be the exclusive presenter in Southwest Michigan of live symphonic performances of three ‘Star Wars’ movies, featuring scores by John Williams. The new agreement is in addition to its existing multiyear alliances with Disney (signed in 2015) and Films Concert Live (signed in 2017).  These ‘Special Event’ performances will begin in the KSO’s 2017-18 season with Star Wars – Episode IV - A New Hope, performed twice on October 12 & 13, 2017. It will be the 40th anniversary of the original release of the movie in 1977. Star Wars – Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back will appear during the 2018-2019 concert season and in the 2019-2020 concert season the KSO will be performing Star Wars – Episode VI – Return of the Jedi. Dates for those performances will be released at a later time.

51 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The sequel to Banjo-Kazooie.

I thought it was the long awaited prequel to Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

If they did the concerts in New York closer together then I would have probably gone, and combined it with a holiday etc, but having it over several weeks is stupid. 

These concert dates aren't scheduled for Englishmen holidaying in the NY area

They're not scheduled for any purpose it seems. Either have it days apart or one per year, not random weeks apart. The run of LOTR concerts in London were one year apart, which also adds to the excitement. A lot of people travel to see these concerts, whether out of city or even out of country, so this schedule doesn't make sense for some of the audience. 

Imagine if say you lived in Boston. Not too far away, but would you want to travel to NYC 4 times over several weeks to see each film?

I'm curious how their schedule makes any sense to anyone, even the locals. "I can't wait for the A New Hope concert, and then Empire several weeks later, and then Jedi one week later, and then TFA the next day." But anyway, I'm hoping it comes to London, because I'm sure we'll get one yearly or at least one per week.

It could be to not completely fatigue the orchestra..... I mean having to have 3 complete film scores of this magnitude and complexity rehearsed and performance-ready over a few days would be kind of insane.

Of course I would love to go to NYC and see all 4 over about a week period, but agree there should be time between each film. Like a month or two for each, but having them 2 weeks apart, then 1 week, then a day after is strange. They go straight from Jedi to TFA the next day I believe. Strange schedules, but anyway, it's no big deal, I just don't get their timing approach, that's all. 

Well, went and booked my tickets today! Roll on September...  It's where it all began for me as a kid. This will be awesome. (a good excuse for a trip from the UK).

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets go on sale for the general public this Thursday:

The New York Philharmonic is celebrating Star Wars Day by giving Star Wars fans who come to the David Geffen Hall Box Office early access to tickets for the Star Wars Film Concert Series on May 4, 2017, at 10:00 a.m., before tickets go on sale widely to the public online at noon. Fans who arrive by 9:30 a.m. will be entered in a raffle to win a pair of free tickets to the Star Wars concert of their choice. Three winners will be announced at 10:00 a.m. The first 20 Star Wars fans to arrive in costume will receive official Star Wars merchandise and collectible vinyl. In addition, fans waiting in line will be entertained by members of the New York Philharmonic’s brass section performing music from the Star Wars movies, and will have a chance to meet R2D2, Kylo Ren, stormtroopers, and other Star Wars characters from costumed fan groups. Those planning to attend are encouraged to spread the word on social media using #nypstarwars.

https://nyphil.org/about-us/general-information/newsroom/press-releases/press-release?item=1718/star-wars-may-4-event-final

Does anyone know if this will be performed anywhere else (like DC, hopefully?).  I want to see Empire Strikes back, but don't know if I can swing the 2 days off it will take for a visit.  Too bad it isn't on a weekend like Star Wars is....

I would think there is a high probability that this series will be played in many places.  I'm anxiously and eagerly awaiting to see this crop up in Philly.  Our orchestra has done a ton of Williams live projections over the last year.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

I would think there is a high probability that this series will be played in many places.

Indeed. Kalamazoo (Michigan) and Vienna (Austria) are the first two cities that we know of apart from the NYC dates:

The Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra is proud to announce that it has signed another three-year agreement with Disney to be the exclusive presenter in Southwest Michigan of live symphonic performances of three ‘Star Wars’ movies, featuring scores by John Williams. The new agreement is in addition to its existing multiyear alliances with Disney (signed in 2015) and Films Concert Live (signed in 2017).  These ‘Special Event’ performances will begin in the KSO’s 2017-18 season with Star Wars – Episode IV - A New Hope, performed twice on October 12 & 13, 2017. It will be the 40th anniversary of the original release of the movie in 1977. Star Wars – Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back will appear during the 2018-2019 concert season and in the 2019-2020 concert season the KSO will be performing Star Wars – Episode VI – Return of the Jedi. Dates for those performances will be released at a later time.

I got tickets all four movies as well.  My wallet is crying a bit, but worth it.  These, plus Williams in Boston later this month... it's definitely an awesome year for Star Wars concerts. :D

Also, Lincoln Center and the Philharmonic really knocked it out of the park with the event this morning.  The whole staff was so friendly, everything was organized super well, and I met some great new friends in line!  The brass section of the Philharmonic also performed the Main Title, Imperial March, and Throne Room (all a bit abbreviated), some in costume, and the 501st costume group was there as well.  Quite a sight to see Kylo Ren, R2, Palpatine, and Stormtroopers strolling around a place as usually formal as David Geffen Hall.  Got some free swag, too - a Force Awakens full size poster, and two vinyls (Force Awakens faces picture vinyl, and Jabba Flow remix picture vinyl).  Great time!

I got tickets for all four as well, though I tended to pick the cheapest seats, all third tier.

ANH - Saturday 9/16

ESB - Tuesday 9/26

ROTJ - Thursday 10/5

TFA - Friday 10/6

3 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

I got tickets for all four as well, though I tended to pick the cheapest seats, all third tier.

ANH - Saturday 9/16

ESB - Tuesday 9/26

ROTJ - Thursday 10/5

TFA - Friday 10/6

I'll be at the same ANH and ROTJ shows as you!  All third tier for me as well in the center, except for ANH where the only cheapest options were box seats on the side second tier, so will just be at an angle, no big deal.  Third tier center will give a great wide view of everything though, can't wait!

• 3 months later...

The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra will perform The Force Awakens on December 8, 9 and 10 - tickets go on sale tomorrow (6/09) at 11:00: https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2017/star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Sadly there have been no announcements regarding concerts for the Original Trilogy.

I saw that on Facebook! Great way to launch into The Last Jedi. The Jedi Steps and Finale live by the MSO will be amazing!

I feel sorry for the poor intern who had to arrange The Falcon. What a mess of microedits as bad as anything Lucas did in the prequels. Any chance they'll more faithfully present JW's cue here rather than the hacked up film version?

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

I saw that on Facebook! Great way to launch into The Last Jedi. The Jedi Steps and Finale live by the MSO will be amazing!

I feel sorry for the poor intern who had to arrange The Falcon. What a mess of microedits as bad as anything Lucas did in the prequels. Any chance they'll more faithfully present JW's cue here rather than the hacked up film version?

It seems like the scene was significantly extended from its original length that Williams scored. So unfortunately I'm not sure if it's possible to "restore" anything without changing the scene length.

Another one I'm wondering about is the trench run cue. There are multiple microedits, and one is really awkward. I'm not sure if it's playable. Maybe. 

I hope this means the MSO will also do the OT - I note the MSO page for TFA highlights that it will be the Australian premiere while the SSO page for ANH does not. It seems Nicholas Buc will be conducting both the MSO and SSO (he also conducted the MSO's performance of Star Trek (2009) a couple of years ago).

On 5/5/2017 at 0:10 PM, rpvee said:

I'll be at the same ANH and ROTJ shows as you!  All third tier for me as well in the center, except for ANH where the only cheapest options were box seats on the side second tier, so will just be at an angle, no big deal.  Third tier center will give a great wide view of everything though, can't wait!

I'm basically center for most of the shows too, cool!  I actually got the same seat 2 nights in a row for ROTJ and TFA.

I'm seeing Raiders on back to back nights in May.  One night in expensive seats and the next night in cheap seats.

If/when we get the OT Star Wars movies, I might just attend every single performance.  Force Awakens I'd probably just attend one performance.

Can anyone familiar with the Palais in Melbourne recommend the best seating area for an orchestral performance? Never been there!

I'm guessing level one in the first 20 rows?

Tuesday night, David Newman will speak about the scores in NYC, and admission is free!

From Tatooine to Hosnian Prime, the scope of the Star Wars galaxy is reflected in John Williams’s legendary scores. Conductor and film score composer David Newman explores John Williams’s compositional techniques, leitmotifs, and musical philosophy and how they allow the orchestra to bring imaginary worlds to life. Filmmaker Habib Azar, who has directed the New York Philharmonic’s Facebook Live broadcasts, also speaks; New York Philharmonic Associate Director, Media Production, Mark Travis moderates.

Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Subscribers, Friends at the Fellow level and above, and Patrons may secure guaranteed admission by e-mailing AdultEd@nyphil.org.

David Newman - Speaker
Habib Azar - Speaker
Mark Travis - Moderator

https://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/1718/insights-star-wars-music-for-a-galaxy

In other news, I will be attending the Friday night premiere for Star Wars!

Who else from this board is going?

So! I've arrived at The Lincoln Center picked up my will call ticket, and am enjoying a nice fountain outside before heading into the David Geffen Concert Hall!

There's a lot of people here, many outside as well, many inside in line to go be seated.  There are more people in costume than I expected - mostly adults, some kids too.

There's also Stormtroopers and R2!

21543753_10155730937583436_1114417999312

I've never been to this venue before.  I'm actually surprised that Star Wars is here, and not Radio City Music Hall. That's where I saw FOTR and TTT live to projection.