STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's a lot of people here, many outside as well, many inside in line to go be seated.  There are more people in costume than I expected - mostly adults, some kids too

It will be like this!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Merchandising!

16700397_10155731051948436_3647353836280

The show's about to start!

21762841_10155731054488436_5772027949574

Did they have any physical soundtracks on sale?

Bizarre if they didn't, considering how many copies they'd sell at such a concert.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Did they have any physical soundtracks on sale?

Bizarre if they didn't, considering how many copies they'd sell at such a concert.

Just the Force Awakens.  CD and Vinyl.  That's it.

21731333_1614915471894327_53000727391004

21740450_1614927548559786_38890801228350

image5.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image1.jpg

Bizarre! So all Disney have done since acquiring the licence off Sony is distribute digital copies of the OSTs.

Considering Williams' camp have been so mindful of releasing new expansions alongside LTP concerts thus far, this seems a real strange oversight.

2 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Indeed. I want to see the prequels live to projection.

Please.  No.  They don't do it because they know it won't sell.

Because the movies themselves are awful and no one wants to watch them all the way through? If they didn't actually play the dialogue/effects track, I might be interested. But otherwise I don't care.

Btw...that's all this is - they project the Blu-ray and just use the center channel while the orchestra plays the score. TBH, I'd MUCH rather just hear the music.

Suit yourself. Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'.

The embarrassing geek chic crowds at this. Yikes. The state of Star Wars fandom. BB-Q outfit paired with matching Star Purse. I wouldn't be caught dead there after seeing that. That isn't anybody's wife or girlfriend, is it? Family?

12 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Suit yourself. Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'.

The embarrassing geek chic crowds at this. Yikes. The state of Star Wars fandom. BB-Q outfit paired with matching Star Purse. I wouldn't be caught dead there after seeing that. That isn't anybody's wife or girlfriend, is it? Family?

She looks gorgeous.  And she's a member of the 501st.  Let's see a picture of you in your basement....

5 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

She looks gorgeous.  And she's a member of the 501st.  Let's see a picture of you in your basement....

He posts those regularly from time to time, or on his Facebook. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

How was it?

It was my very first time going to one of these so I sorta knew what to expect and sorta didn't.  I detest, abhor and very much dislike the special editions and, tbh, I've never watched the Blu-ray's so this was my very first time ever watching "that version."  It' such a slog, for me.  And, tbh, I'd much rather just listen to the music alone.  I can watch the movie any day.  And they already have the subtitles on the screen so why not just let me listen to the score?  I know it's not as much of a draw for the audience but that would be my preference.   I found myself not even watching the movie and just listening to the music and watching the orchestra, more often than not. 

The orchestra was just phenomenal.  It made me wonder why that entire score hasn't been re-recorded like Jaws and Superman have.  It had an energy and excitement that I truly loved.  It was interesting to hear tiny moments that were buried in the mix, none of which I can recall right now.  But it's also just amazing to hear the full score performed live in front of you. 

They did not do the Cantina.  Just sat there for the 10 or so minutes throughout that sequence.   They also did not put the "dianoga" music back where it belonged.  It was only played during the Mos Eisley approach as it stands in the SE.  I was hoping they might actually put it into the film as they did with the recent Jaws performance.

Overall, I'm very happy I went but I wouldn't go again unless they shut off the dialogue and effects.  That said, the fact that it just seems like these are just the blu-ray's projected with the center channel of a 5.1 mix playing cheapens it, for me.  I could be wrong but, from how dull the mix sounded and how many effects tracks were barely there, that's exactly what it seemed like.  I don't know if all of these performances are like that but it sure seemed like that for Star Wars.  It was just a pure mono dialogue/effects track.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

The point of these concerts is the music. The soundtrack is deliberately tones down to make the score more audible.

Did you read what I said?  I wish that were the case.  The dialogue was very loud in places.  I wish it were JUST about the music.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

@Jay, what was the music for the intermission intro and entr'acte?

There was no intermission music.  It broke right as the MF entered the DS. The last thing you heard were the notes right before "To your stations!"  That same phrase was repeated right before it went back into the movie.

I went last night. It was AMAZING! I'm so excited for Empire, Jedi, and Awakens.  I've seen Williams conduct Star Wars music live feet away from me many times, but the music itself seemed to have so much more umph and power here. Not sure if it was the venue (one of the most legendary concert halls of all time), the orchestra, or just because I was up on the balcony, but the actual sound and power of the music was amazing.

Also, I was at that panel discussion a few nights ago, too! I was the one who asked about Kylo Ren's two themes at the end. :)

2 hours ago, rpvee said:

I've seen Williams conduct Star Wars music live feet away from me many times, but the music itself seemed to have so much more umph and power here. Not sure if it was the venue (one of the most legendary concert halls of all time), the orchestra, or just because I was up on the balcony, but the actual sound and power of the music was amazing.

Yes!  These live scores bring out the full energy of the orchestra that regular concert performances do not.

The live orchestra makes watching the movies even more thrilling and I get goosebumps when the orchestra hits their marks.

I'm jealous as shit right now.  I can't wait for this to be performed here.

7 hours ago, rpvee said:

I just wanted their thoughts on the unique case of Kylo having two themes, and they believed it was due to the character being conflicted.

Didn't realize it was such a mystery here! I hadn't seen many posts about it. I missed the first half hour, but it was basically the panel playing excerpts of different themes and commenting on what the themes represent, how they relate to each other, and sometimes, how they echo classical composers. 

Its not that unusual. Musically, the love theme belongs to Leia so she could be said to have at least two themes. There are several themes associated with Anakin (his youthful theme, the lament and the march), etc...

Did the inventory of leitmotifs in the discussion correspond with what's in the program? Because there are some really dubious sounding stuff in there: another droid motif in the original Star Wars? a Rancor theme? surely those are not canonical leitmotifs, right? They don't appear in Adams' breakdown of the trilogy, and its not like he was particularly picky with that one. I dunno, Perhaps I'd be more inclined to believe those, if the program had anything new to offer on the composer's intentions, but it seems to only quote a series of existing interviews rather than offer any new insight as to what he meant.

7 hours ago, rpvee said:

I'm so excited for Empire, Jedi, and Force Awakens.[...]Even the Main Title was even better, live and unrestricted from the not-as-full-sounding '77 recording that was limited by the tech at the time (I love the OST, but it does have that older-recorded-score sound that's hard to describe).

It will be interesting since the forces in these concerts seem to be much smaller than the recorded forces. For the original Star Wars and especially The Force Awakens, the recorded orchestra wasn't much bigger than that, so it won't be as big a difference, but with Empire and Jedi Williams used a fuller orchestra and scored some scenes with unusual orchestrations. It will be interesting to see what they do with those, although I assume they'd just lose them. Even the Lord of the Rings concerts do that with all the added brass, woodwinds and timpani that parts of the recorded score feature.

If they ever got a chance to do the prequels (which they won't), the last two used a 110-piece orchestra, not to mention choirs which they won't be able to get away with synths.

I like the Special Edition. Most of the changes to the desert scenes aside from the spaceport are pretty good and the CGI dogfight clips in the end battle are a highlight of the entire film. Going back to the theatrical version after watching the SE space battle, I feel like Christopher Reeve going back to the present at the end of Somewhere in Time. Of course, I view these films as they should be aka popcorn space movies for adolescents.

Yes, demographically that is what they were going for. There's no reason to apotheosize these films. Except for the odd Empire Strikes Back, they don't feature that many concepts of high drama or heightened emotion. They're just meant to be fun space adventures. With moments of gravity, sure, but overall their tone is dominated by "fun."

I'm of two minds as for the Special Edition though. Primarily, it's a matter of etiquette: other directors offered tweaked versions of their films, but they never do it to supplant the original cut. As for the changes themselves I don't mind half of them. Even the Jabba insert was originally notorious simply for its poor CGI. The bluray version is much better.

By the way, the title "A New Hope" is as much of a change as any of the others, and certainly is one of the most egregious. Originally, and appropriately, it was just "Star Wars."