STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

I sat in the front row for one LTP concert, and wouldn't recommend it for normal people. But depending on your priorities you might not mind it. You can't see the screen very well, and it throws off the movie's sound mix in weird ways. BUT, I enjoyed the immersive feel of being close to the musicians, hearing the different sections of the orchestra almost surround me, and picking out different parts in the music that I wouldn't be able to on the recording.

However, sitting about halfway back is probably ideal in most cases. You can see and hear as much as possible. The front of the balcony would also be desirable, so you can see all the musicians. Generally, you can tell which seats are good by the ticket pricing. There's a reason the cheap seats are cheap and vice versa.

Depending how picky you are about acoustics, you could also search for reviews and discussion online about the specific concert hall.

29 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I sat in the front row for one LTP concert, and wouldn't recommend it for normal people. But depending on your priorities you might not mind it. You can't see the screen very well, and it throws off the movie's sound mix in weird ways. BUT, I enjoyed the immersive feel of being close to the musicians, hearing the different sections of the orchestra almost surround me, and picking out different parts in the music that I wouldn't be able to on the recording.

That's what I want, I want to hear the music up close, listen for nuances that might not come through on recordings.  When I bring friends and family we sit rear orchestra which has a nice view of the screen.  That's why I wanted to go to Star Wars twice, once with my friends and family and a second time by myself in the front row to get the different experiences of the performance.

I was at a Q&A once where Marin Alsop was asked the question herself once about what is the optimal seat in the symphony hall and with a laugh said something like "the box office won't like my answer... but probably the last rows of the upper balcony" 

3 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I was at a Q&A once where Marin Alsop was asked the question herself once about what is the optimal seat in the symphony hall and with a laugh said something like "the box office won't like my answer... but probably the last rows of the upper balcony" 

Did she give a reason? Depending on the hall, you can get excessive reverb at the very back, and if there's a dampening wall, the very last row might actually sound very odd if you don't look straight ahead all the time (happened to me once at the Wiener Konzerthaus).

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Did she give a reason? Depending on the hall, you can get excessive reverb at the very back, and if there's a dampening wall, the very last row might actually sound very odd if you don't look straight ahead all the time (happened to me once at the Wiener Konzerthaus).

Something about the acoustics.  I don't recall exactly, this was probably around 10 years ago or so.

I'm debating between middle of the front orchestra vs front of the balcony...............any opinions on which is better from both movie viewing & sound standpoint?

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎.‎6‎.‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Incanus said:

They are performing the original Star Wars (A New Hope) in Concert here in Helsinki on the 8th of September 2018. Naturally I'll be there. :)

There also seem to be plenty of tickets left. 

Not that I think many would make the trip outside of Finland. But hopefully other Finnish JWFans have their tickets already.

I still hope they'll call me to perform* in this concert. But listening option isn't bad either😍😍😍

*(only tutti horn, 1st horn would be too much emotionally, Binary Sunset😋)

1 hour ago, hornist said:

I still hope they'll call me to perform* in this concert. But listening option isn't bad either😍😍😍

*(only tutti horn, 1st horn would be too much emotionally, Binary Sunset😋)

Is that an actual prospect for you, or are you just daydreaming?

This concert is performed by the local orchestra where I have had many gigs. The problem is that there are many other horn players who want this gig!!

Not necessarily for the money but its fucking great music and a chance of a lifetime!!!

40 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hope you get it, amigo! Do you audition for it, or would they just call you if they want you?

No audition, they know me (and my passion for JW) I'm not living in Helsinki any more and they have their usual substitutes but I still hope they will hire the drunken hornist!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably answered in the 10 pages, but I'll just ask:

Are Dianoga and The Walls Converge usually restored on these? I know quite a number of LtP concerts restore cut cues.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:05 PM, Holko said:

Are Dianoga and The Walls Converge usually restored on these? I know quite a number of LtP concerts restore cut cues.

Actualy, six pages ago.

Sorry...

On 6/30/2018 at 3:05 PM, Holko said:

Nothing is restored, all the SW concerts match the final film edits exactly.  Read this:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27124-star-wars-live-to-projection-concerts/&do=findComment&comment=1393436

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its not playing in England anywhere?

It is a couple of weeks after the LSO/Williams concert. It will also be performed by the LSO.

Karol

It probably was. Titanic had a similar problem when it played in Antwerp's concert hall. These rooms are not really made to play back dialogue this way.

Very fine performance indeed. The dialogue was unbearably loud though, it was very hard to hear the music well at times. Anyway, I hope they’ll do Empire next time!

On 7/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

When are they going to do the prequels?

John Williams has veto rights on which SW scores are being performed live to picture. There's your answer.

I expect a Last Jedi announcement before the end of the year though.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:18 AM, crumbs said:

John Williams has veto rights on which SW scores are being performed live to picture. There's your answer.

I expect a Last Jedi announcement before the end of the year though.

And expect even fewer people to attend than TFA.

13 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

And expect even fewer people to attend than TFA.

What are you implying? Do you have global attendance numbers handy to back up your statement?

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hate the movie

Which is fine.  I don't see you bitching about it like it murdered your mother like some people.

It's nice when people use ridiculous language like calling it a "betrayal" because then I know early I can ignore them forever.

I loved The Last Jedi! The hate is ridiculously overblown and it's shown up many Star Wars fans for the toxic bunch they are. It's also lifted the veil about their blatant hypocrisy; the exact same people who complained that TFA was too safe and criticised Kennedy/Lucasfilm for taking no risks are now complaining that TLJ went out of its way to subvert expectations and upend the formula.

My point was that talking down a Williams LTP presentation just because you didn't like the movie is stupid. People attending those performances are there for the music more than they are the movie -- if it was reversed, they'd just stay at home and watch the Bluray!

Just now, crumbs said:

I loved The Last Jedi. The hate is ridiculously overblown and it's shown up many Star Wars fans for the toxic bunch they are.

I gotcha.

After seeing and loving the movie, I remember the first time I saw someone on Twitter say something like "They have betrayed Star Wars fans.  They have spit in our faces."  The first inkling I got of the polarization.   I laughed out loud and clicked "Block."