STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

I was wondering if anyone in Montreal attended this Empire Strikes Back concert by the 50-member OVMF (Orchestre à vents de musiques de films), last night.

http://www.ovmf.qc.ca/concerts/ne-manquez-pas-les-prochains-concerts-star-wars-13

Among the concert's unique features included the fact that no film is being screened,  as quoted in this Montreal Gazette article

The OVMF will perform the Empire Strikes Back music without the film screening in the background, due to the cost of acquiring the rights. 

...and OVMF’s program description from their website

English translation by Google

Certainly one of the greatest works of John Williams. The OVMF will present the music of Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back in chronological order of the film. You will hear the great themes including The Battle of Hoth, Carbon Freeze, The Boba Fett, The Clash of Lightsabers and many more. John Williams at its peak on June 8, 9 and 13, 2019! 

Original French program description:

Certainement l'une des plus grandes œuvres de John Williams. L'OVMF vous présentera la musique de Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back dans l'ordre chronologique du film. Vous entendrez les grands thèmes dont The Battle of Hoth, Carbon Freeze, Departure of Boba Fett, The Clash of Lightsabers et bien d'autres. Du John Williams à son apogée les 8, 9 et 13 juin 2019 ! 

That means that no film-sound to layer over the live music.

However, the orchestra has no string section, from my research on the them.

Here's a photo gallery of the event

So, did the orchestra preform every cue of music from the score, or was it select cues?

Your review on this concert is greatly appreciated...

...even if your motivation for doing it is because you want to make me eat my words on the 'no strings' thing.:mrgreen:

6 hours ago, SyncMan said:

The OVMF will perform the Empire Strikes Back music without the film screening in the background, due to the cost of acquiring the rights. 

Can this please become a common budgetary decision? And for those cases where they do acquire the rights, they can skip the audio rights and just project the visuals, so that the music doesn't have to compete with dialogue and SFX.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but the Cleveland Orchestra will be doing Empire Strikes Back on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of Labor Day weekend at Blossom, the outdoor venue. They did A New Hope there last year and it was wonderful.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SyncMan said:

World Premiere for Star Wars-The Last Jedi: Film Live With Orchestra will be in Tokyo, Japan on October 14, 2019

Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Nicholas Buc

http://www.promax.co.jp/info/2019/101301/

Oh dayum! That's almost worth a trip to Japan, if the MSO aren't performing TLJ in Melbourne before year's end. Buc is an excellent conductor -- not surprised he's conducting the world premiere of TLJ, considering he's done all Williams' LTP concerts in Australia.

What's the Tokyo Philharmonic like?

2 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

They’re top-notch. Have a listen:

Yes! I just listened to excerpts from their performance of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. Sounds excellent to my ears. Would be interesting to hear this orchestra perform TLJ.

I’m going on the idea that some of these orchestras on the planet that have already played The Force Awakens, or will play it before December, may book The Last Jedi between now and December to cash-in on the anticipation for The Rise of Skywalker, as the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra did.

I have seen orchestras add more LTP concerts long after their schedule for the upcoming season has officially announced and while a season is in progress. 

Orchestras That Already Played TFA

New York Philharmonic Orchestra. October 6th and 7th, 2017

I can’t picture the New York Philharmonic adding-on any more LTP concerts, they have 5 now for this season (CE3K, Psycho, Harry Potter, Singin’ In the Rain, and Mary Poppins).  Last season it was 4 (There Will Be Blood, Home Alone, Red Violin, Bugs Bunny at the Symphony)

National Symphony Orchestra at The Kennedy Center, Washington, DC. February 21, 22, and 23, 2019

During the 2018/19 Season, they played all 4  Star Wars concerts in Disney's series, plus Get Out. That’s 5 LTP concerts.

I have seen this orchestra book an LTP concert while a season is in progress.  During the 2017-18 Season, the NSO announced the world premiere of Jurassic World on April 3, 2018 for a May 30th 2018 performance.

This season, the NSO has only 2 LTP concerts (Up, and a Harry Potter), so, they may fit in TLJ as a North American Premiere.

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. December 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th 2017.

I don’t know the international orchestra scene, but if the Tokyo Philharmonic can book TLJ after a season schedule is released to the public, then the MSO may do it, too.

The Sydney Symphony Orchestra will play TFA this September 12th through 14th, so, maybe you'll find TLJ being booked, soon.

10 hours ago, SyncMan said:

I don’t know the international orchestra scene, but if the Tokyo Philharmonic can book TLJ after a season schedule is released to the public, then the MSO may do it, too.

The Sydney Symphony Orchestra will play TFA this September 12th through 14th, so, maybe you'll find TLJ being booked, soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed the MSO announce it for a few weeks before Rise of Skywalker (opening December 19th).

They appear to have nothing scheduled for Thu Dec 5, Fri Dec 6 and daytime on Sat Dec 7. ROTJ is scheduled on the same days a month prior, so here's hoping!

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Keeping my fingers crossed the MSO announce it for a few weeks before Rise of Skywalker (opening December 19th).

They appear to have nothing scheduled for Thu Dec 5, Fri Dec 6 and daytime on Sat Dec 7. ROTJ is scheduled on the same days a month prior, so here's hoping!

Well, if the MSO played Episode 7 in 2017 before playing Episodes 4 and 5 (in that order) in 2018, then I don’t think the MSO is concerned with continuity.  So, Episode 9, may show up  before December’s presentation of Episode 6. :conf:  If it gets there after December, then it is what it is. 

This question is for the members who attended the ANH and ROTJ concerts in countries where English isn’t the primary language.

I know that the audio that is coming out of the speakers in some of these concerts will be the English-language track with subtitles of the country's primary language being displayed. In one ANH in German @Caliburn reports in this review...

the text was in German:, so we had to get along with German dubbed voices and German subtitles.

My question is this:  for the scenes where subtitles translate the talking of Greedo and Jabba, does one of the following happened:

• Two sets of subtitles are displayed--The English-translated subtitles and the subtitles of the country’s primary language where the latter is positioned at the bottom of the screen.

• One set of subtitles are displayed—the country’s primary language.

Maybe @toothless can answer...

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, toothless said:

I just bought my tickets for the four concerts in Paris. The fact that it is at the Philharmonie is great. It means only the dialogue will be amplified and the music will be acoustic, I would not have thought they would choose this place for these concerts so… I can't wait :)

10 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

My question is this:  for the scenes where subtitles translate the talking of Greedo and Jabba, does one of the following happened:

• Two sets of subtitles are displayed--The English-translated subtitles and the subtitles of the country’s primary language where the latter is positioned at the bottom of the screen.

Haven't been, but most home video releases of most films have no hardcoded subtitles burned into the image, instead you get forced subtitles for these specific scenes if you select English sound, or it's just incorporated into all the regular full subtitle tracks. Example:

So I guess that's what happens: image plays without burned in subtitles, these translations are incorporated into the local tracks.

I'm not a great fan of this practice purely because we usually lose all the cool styling on the text they may have done, and it reverts to generic subtitle font.

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

language being displayed. In one ANH in German @Caliburn reports in this review...

• One set of subtitles are displayed—the country’s primary language.

Good to see my reports are put in good use :-) Thanks for the mention 

It has been a while, but my gut tells me that the subtitles were only  in German during the alien conversations.

• 1 month later...

Hi, @Luka.

I found this post you've made of an OVFM concert that you've attended.

Perhaps you might have went to this recent OVMF concert of The Empire Strikes Back...

...where, according to the venue's claim, the orchestra will perform the music "in chronological order of the film" "without the film screening in the background." If so, can you tell us anything about it?

2 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

Hi, Luka.

You might want to tag @Luka if you want him to see this.  Posting a URL to someone's forum post won't send them a notification like quoting/tagging will.

If anyone here has tickets to next week's Empire Strikes Back LTP concert at the Baltimore Symphony, the musicians are currently on strike and the concerts next weekend are in danger of being cancelled or postponed.  This sucks.

I am sorry for the troubles that the Baltimore Symphony are having, but good for them in doing the right thing in announcing their concert cancellations in a timely manner.  

On 9/12/2019 at 11:30 AM, SyncMan said:

Hi, @Luka.

Perhaps you might have went to this recent OVMF concert of The Empire Strikes Back...

...where, according to the venue's claim, the orchestra will perform the music "in chronological order of the film" "without the film screening in the background." If so, can you tell us anything about it?

Oh! Sorry for the late response.

Yes I actually did go to that concert too!

And I'm not sure they performed the pieces in chronological order. Plus, it was only a selection of some of the best music from the film.

It was really good though.

But keep in mind that the OVMF is a harmonic orchestra, so no strings.

The conductor who also arranges all the pieces for his orchestra does a really good job at making it sound really good even without the strings.

Don't hesitate if you have any further questions :p

I'll try to come look on the forum more often. (Especially since The Rise of Skywalker is getting closer!)

I'll be at the Royal Albert Hall for the afternoon performance of Empire this Sunday. Can't wait! It's been too long since I went to one of these, the last one being Raiders also at the Albert Hall.

@AlanMe too. First time live to projection for me plus my fave Star Wars score! Plus Dirk Brossé who did such a great job at the Celebration concert. Going with my bestie and his daughter, both fans who have yet to experience JW music live so looking forward to that too. Enjoy!

15 hours ago, Jonny said:

@AlanMe too. First time live to projection for me plus my fave Star Wars score! Plus Dirk Brossé who did such a great job at the Celebration concert. Going with my bestie and his daughter, both fans who have yet to experience JW music live so looking forward to that too. Enjoy!

Enjoy. :) It's my 26th live to projection concert and 15th (I think?) time at RAH but it's still a thrill. :)

Karol

On 9/19/2019 at 4:33 PM, Alan said:

I'll be at the Royal Albert Hall for the afternoon performance of Empire this Sunday. Can't wait! It's been too long since I went to one of these, the last one being Raiders also at the Albert Hall.

Just finished and wasn’t it good?

Very faithful performance. 

I will be setting off soon for the evening performance.  I am very much looking forward to it.

:lsvader:

By the way...

Spoiler

Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek2:

2 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Just finished and wasn’t it good?

Very faithful performance. 

It was outstanding!

Really made we wish we had the film version of the Imperial March though. There are definitely differences in the orchestration during the scene after the probe droid is destroyed. They played that version again after the intermission.

The orchestra was on absolute top form. I don't think I heard a bad note and their timing was impeccable.

The Sunday evening performance by the Philharmonia was astonishing, especially considering that it was the second time they had played the score today and the fourth time this weekend.  Even after all these years and my familiarity with the score, there were so many little details I noticed in the orchestration for the first time.  If someone had told me even five years ago that one day I would be able to hear the whole of the Battle of Hoth sequence and The Asteroid Field played live to the film I would not have believed them.

It was great to hear the round of applause during the end credits when John Williams's name appeared and also to see Dirk Brosse hold up the score at the end.

DSC03427.JPG

DSC03420.JPG

9 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

When are they ever going to do the prequels?

They really should. I know the scores were music edited a lot here and there, but surely whoever has the power to do so could make new parts and score based on the film edit if they wanted to. People need to hear the greatness of the prequel scores!

The amount of tracking probably makes it difficult just to assemble the sheet music, plus the excessive amount of choir (possibly not recorded separately to the orchestra, making it difficult to isolate).

The scores themselves are an editorial mess (like the films they accompanied). I doubt Williams was overly pleased with the amount of tracked music from prior films, either.

3 hours ago, Montre said:

They really should. I know the scores were music edited a lot here and there, but surely whoever has the power to do so could make new parts and score based on the film edit if they wanted to. People need to hear the greatness of the prequel scores!

As an orchestra musician, I absolutely can’t imagine playing some of the transitions that those edits have created. Some of them make no musical sense at all. I don’t think we’ll ever see those performed live.

2 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

As an orchestra musician, I absolutely can’t imagine playing some of the transitions that those edits have created. Some of them make no musical sense at all. I don’t think we’ll ever see those performed live.

I’m an orchestral musician too. There are a few that do sound unplayable as they are in the final film. Maybe some day there will be a way around it with a slightly different edit, but that’s probably wishful thinking 

12 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

I also note it was the latest Blu-Ray cut yet had the Fox fanfare....

I have not bought any of the original trilogy blu rays- was the Fox fanfare removed?

I know it was removed from the online digital versions but I thought the disks still had it.

The inclusion of the Fox logo and fanfare seemed to get a strong reaction from the audience I saw it with. A nice surprise and I didn't even realise how much I'd missed hearing that music before the main title.

TPM "only" hacks up the final battle and tracks a cue somewhere else.

AotC "only" has parts of the final battle scored with hackjobs and dials out great original music.

RotS has the horrible landing piece without which the first act gets no closure, the Kahsyyyk cue, the mess that is the Grievous stuff in the middle, Mace vs. Sidious...

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, SyncMan said:

World Premiere for Star Wars-The Last Jedi: Film Live With Orchestra will be in Tokyo, Japan on October 14, 2019

Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Nicholas Buc

http://www.promax.co.jp/info/2019/101301/

Nicholas Buc unboxes package of manuscript

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1175955877150568449/pu/vid/608x1080/a-sP4V7BAGVbPVfd.mp4?tag=10