STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

6 hours ago, Holko said:

TPM "only" hacks up the final battle and tracks a cue somewhere else.

There are actually a lot of small changes in cues all throughout the movie, weird stuff sometimes like removing a beat or two from a measure.

40 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

Love the timing of the March to coincide with his singing of it!

Actually, I was rather disappointed by this after all. For almost all previous LTP concerts at the RAH, I've had a box seat, and that's what I'll get again next time. This time I had a stalls seat, right behind the mixing booth, and I could barely make out the music over the film sound and its reverb. For the first time, I can fully understand the frequent complaints about the RAH acoustics - apparently they're much better in the boxes where you're isolated above and behind and thus shielded from most of the reverb. I honestly think I can hear the music better on Blu-ray than I did a that seat.

After the interval, I moved to another stalls seat right on the left side of the orchestra, because @ChrisAfonso had a free seat next to his. The sound was considerably better there, but it still wasn't good. I did hear much of the music directly (instead of through the speakers), but that also meant that I heard some details with excessive clarity and others not at all.

I'm sure it's a difficult film to get the balance right (wall to wall score but also wall to wall effects and a lot of dialogue, much of it more or less covering the audible frequency spectrum - Darth Vader most of all). But clearly the experience also very much depends on your seat and the acoustics. I have to say that I got less out of it than of most other similar events I've been too, and that's just not good enough for this score.

Also (and I knew this, but it's still annoying every time), the music editing in the film really is a mess, and has always been (most of it predates the SE I think). Hearing all the loops end edits performed live makes it all the more obvious.

When I bought that seat I knew beforehand that I'd trade in a balanced sound image (and good-angled view of the screen) for a close-up perspective of the orchestra, so I got basically what I signed up for - I really enjoyed the top-notch performance, only occasionally paid attention to the movie on the screen, and due to the perceptive filter of hearing the music relatively up-close and direct vs the dialogue and effects with a lot of reverb it was as close as I expect to get to hear the full score performed live as standalone music.

Due to sitting directly behind the last 1st violin stand this felt almost like a fly-on-the-wall situation in a scoring session for the movie, what with seeing the musicians work through their music up close, having a side-frontal view of the conductor (who really gave the impression of being on top of things the whole time, no matter how intricate the tempo/rhythm/hitpoint syncing got, but it's no secret Brossé is a master at what he does), noticing a lot of details in the orchestration I never noticed before (though in one instance laid bare by the missing synth ;)), and observing at which points various players started to break a sweat, started to watch the movie (surely a sign of a multi-bar rest), or heaved a small sigh of relief after finishing 15 minutes of nonstop action music ;)

The audience in general seems to have enjoyed the concert - when it started I was bit worried about the (understandable - not everyone comes to these with as critical an eye/ear as us ;)) enthusiasm of the people in my immediate surroundings - lots of loud whoops and ongoing applause when the music started, even singing along to the fox fanfare and main theme, but it calmed down and the athmosphere in the room felt good, laughs in a few (appropriate) places, but otherwise everyone was listening and watching attentively (and there were none of the usual droves of people getting up as soon as the credits start).

All in all, Raiders 3 years ago remains the best experience I've had in the ROH acoustics-wise - like Marian said, in the boxes directly opposite the stage you get a good centralized image, and as far as I recall the film audio was actually turned down a bit compared to the music, especially during action sequences without much dialogue, leaving the orchestral sound seem very natural in the room and not really sounding amplified at all. I'd be interested to know how much the film/orchestra-balance is predetermined and meant to achieve a cinema-like blend, or if the engineer in the hall is able to mix it according to their personal taste...

IMG_20190921_193044.jpg

IMG_20190921_193148.jpg

IMG_20190921_192906.jpg

IMG_20190921_192927.jpg

IMG_20190921_193034.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Also (and I knew this, but it's still annoying every time), the music editing in the film really is a mess, and has always been (most of it predates the SE I think). Hearing all the loops end edits performed live makes it all the more obvious.

If you, guys, get ROTJ at the RAH, then, @Marian Schedenig, you may not like how the music is presented in the Jabba Sail Barge Escape sequence.  The score pages on that concert-version feature the same disorganized edits from the film-version.  What is funny about it is that those edits existed in the '83 theatrical cut

However, there's a plus side.  You would be treated to a live performance of the Ewok-tribal music featuring maracas, xylophone, and bass drum--no pre-recording from the film-sound mix.

13 hours ago, SyncMan said:

If you, guys, get ROTJ at the RAH, then, @Marian Schedenig, you may not like how the music is presented in the Jabba Sail Barge Escape sequence.  The score pages on that concert-version feature the same disorganized edits from the film-version.  What is funny about it is that those edits existed in the '83 theatrical cut

Yes, the score editing in the OT has always been horrid. SW is mostly fine, but ESB and ROTJ have always had tons of tracking and looping.

Oh, one more thing: Viewing it again only reinforced my belief that Han Solo and the Princess is primarily a character theme for Han that doubles as a love theme.

Having been to three ESB-LTP concerts-each with a different orchestra within the East Coast, there's one thing that I've noticed that each orchestra does consistently that is different than the original scoring session performance. 

During the opening of the music cue--3M3: The Snow Battle, there's a tempo change-- the tempo speeds-up and we hear cymbal clashes taking-over the rhythm section--2 clashes per measure--against brass and woodwinds.  For reference, look for the tempo change in this video at the 1:00 mark.

During that tempo change at the concerts, I've noticed the brass section and the cymbal player of each of the orchestras performing that cue were not in sync with each other, at first--either the cymbal clashes were faster in tempo than the brass section or the other way around.  You never hear that in the scoring-session recording.  I'm wondering if you guys who attended the ESB-LTP concerts at the RAH or any where else, noticed that?

On 9/25/2019 at 8:12 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, the score editing in the OT has always been horrid. SW is mostly fine, but ESB and ROTJ have always had tons of tracking and looping.

Oh, one more thing: Viewing it again only reinforced my belief that Han Solo and the Princess is primarily a character theme for Han that doubles as a love theme.

Han is rarely seen in Empire without Leia, and all their scenes have an element of romantic/sexual tension, which really entangles the theme with both of them and with their relationship. But the theme is definitely more closely associated with Han than with Leia, who obviously has her own theme and never provokes a statement of the love theme unless Han is around or involved. Han, on the other hand, gets at least one statement of it when Leia isn't even peripherally involved (under his first lines of Empire, over comm with Luke). That's the strongest argument one could make for it being his theme, IMO.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

That's the strongest argument one could make for it being his theme, IMO.

Yes. The first time it's heard, it's to introduce Han. Then when Leia is introduced, her theme from SW plays first, then segues into Han Solo and the Princess, but she is interacting with Han in that scene.

And you guys, in England, didn't have to wait 3 months after the last Star Wars concert to find this out...

SW:ROTJ at the RAH, October 23 through 25, 2020

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-in-concert/

...and it's the London Symphony Orchestra.

Priority Booking for Royal Albert Hall Friends & Patrons opens at 10am on October 2nd, 2019

Tickets go on general sale at 10am, Friday, October 4th, 2019

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, MrScratch said:

If anyone here has tickets to next week's Empire Strikes Back LTP concert at the Baltimore Symphony, the musicians are currently on strike and the concerts next weekend are in danger of being cancelled or postponed.  This sucks.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, MrScratch said:

And it's official.  Postponed until spring.  New dates will be announced in the next couple weeks.

Hay @MrScratch and other ticket holders for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's Star Wars Concert Series, 

the orchestra gave a statement on the new scheduling for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi LTPs:

https://www.bsomusic.org/sw

The performances of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back - In Concert, originally scheduled for September 19-21, will now take place May 7-10. The performances of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - In Concert, originally scheduled for May 7-10, will now take place May 22-24. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change.

We will issue new tickets for the rescheduled dates. Your seat location will not change, however your previous tickets (concert tickets and parking passes) will no longer be valid and should be destroyed. The updated performance schedule is as follows:

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back - In Concert

Thursday, May 7th 8 pm Meyerhoff (replaces Friday, September 20th at the Meyerhoff)

Friday, May 8th 8 pm Strathmore (replaces Thursday, September 19th at Strathmore)

Sunday, May 10th 3 pm Meyerhoff (replaces Saturday, September 21st at the Meyerhoff)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - In Concert

Friday, May 22nd 8 pm Meyerhoff (replaces Thursday, May 7th at Meyerhoff)

Saturday, May 23rd 3 pm Meyerhoff (replaces Sunday, May 10th at the Meyerhoff)

Sunday, May 24th 3 pm Strathmore (replaces Friday, May 8th at Strathmore)

If you are unable to attend on your new performance date, you have the option of moving to another date or obtaining a refund. In order to exchange or refund your tickets, please contact the BSO Ticket Office at 877.276.1444 or ticketoffice@bsomusic.org. The deadline to exchange or refund your tickets is Friday, October 11th. After that date, tickets will automatically be reissued through the delivery method you selected at the time of purchase. You should expect to receive your new tickets no later than Friday, October 25th.

Here's hoping that the orchestra doesn't go on strike, again, during the season.

14 hours ago, SyncMan said:

Hay @MrScratch and other ticket holders for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's Star Wars Concert Series, 

the orchestra gave a statement on the new scheduling for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi LTPs:

https://www.bsomusic.org/sw

Here's hoping that the orchestra doesn't go on strike, again, during the season.

Thanks, I was about to post this. The symphony and the musicians agreed on a one-year contract through June.  So, these concert dates should be safe.  I do fear another lockout/strike situation in Fall 2020 though.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Have the LSO performed/are they scheduled to perform TFA/TLJ at some point in the future? That would be amazing to see live, methinks.

They will probably announce it after Jedi.

Karil

I mean, they did SW in 2018, TESB in 2019, ROTJ in 2020, it stands to reason they'll continue with TFA in 2021, TLJ in 2022, and TROS in 2023

People go to these concerts for the music and overall experience, not if the movie itself was the best it could be

Phantom Menace is one of JW’s great scores. I would go see a LTP concert of it, even though I don’t love the movie. Of course it would be sweet if they could project an original 35mm film reel and not the plasticky blu-ray. One can dream!

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, MrScratch said:

The symphony and the musicians agreed on a one-year contract through June.  So, these concert dates should be safe.  I do fear another lockout/strike situation in Fall 2020 though.

With our luck, Superman may be in that Fall 2020 schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the choir was handled? Wish there were some videos.

Also, the Long Goodbye source music was actually performed live! No idea if Canto Bight was though (I'm guessing not?)

Also, forget about the prequels being done:

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Quppa said:

I'm hoping they'll announce The Last Jedi dates at the end.

Be sure to let us know! Shame they couldn't fit it in before TROS came out. For pure volume of music, I think it's the longest score of any SW film (both as recorded AND as heard in the film) so no easy feat for the orchestra.

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Be sure to let us know! Shame they couldn't fit it in before TROS came out. For pure volume of music, I think it's the longest score of any SW film (both as recorded AND as heard in the film) so no easy feat for the orchestra.

Regrettably there was no announcement :( They only advertised Home Alone (13/12) and Skyfall (23/04).

Oh that's a shame... :( Clever to program Skyfall right before No Time To Die comes out though.

I wonder if @PoggoAOTS might be able to shed some light with an update? I vaguely recall Andrew mentioning they were struggling to find dates due to how busy the MSO's schedule is. Weird to think that in a year's time we'll be talking about Rise of Skywalker concerts!

3 hours ago, Quppa said:

Regrettably there was no announcement :( They only advertised Home Alone (13/12) and Skyfall (23/04).

Not to mention:

Evil Dead.  This past 31/10

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2019/evil-dead-in-concert/

2001: A Space Odyssey.  This coming 25/01

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2020/2001-a-space-odyssey/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 10:46 PM, crumbs said:

Oh that's a shame... :( Clever to program Skyfall right before No Time To Die comes out though.

I wonder if @PoggoAOTS might be able to shed some light with an update? I vaguely recall Andrew mentioning they were struggling to find dates due to how busy the MSO's schedule is. Weird to think that in a year's time we'll be talking about Rise of Skywalker concerts!

Yeah, same problem as last time. No obvious slot in 2020 for me to program Last Jedi. That said, I *will* find something eventually so stay tuned (and sign up to the MSO e-news to be the first to hear about it). I'll also put TLJ in Hamer Hall next time, so that might help highlight the score a little more.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:51 AM, SyncMan said:

Not to mention:

Evil Dead.  This past 31/10

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2019/evil-dead-in-concert/

2001: A Space Odyssey.  This coming 25/01

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2020/2001-a-space-odyssey/

Yeah! Plenty of score goodness has come and gone (and also upcoming).

On 11/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, Quppa said:

I'm enjoying the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra's ROTJ concert this evening. Jabba's Baroque Recital wasn't performed live during the film, but they had two people playing it outside the concert hall beforehand (amongst other pieces arranged in a similar style). I'm hoping they'll announce The Last Jedi dates at the end.

Yay! I'm glad someone appreciated the effort for the live Jabba's Baroque Recital. I'm always keen to put little Easter Eggs around the venue where we can.

Thanks for supporting the orchestra :)

16 hours ago, PoggoAOTS said:

Yeah, same problem as last time. No obvious slot in 2020 for me to program Last Jedi. That said, I *will* find something eventually so stay tuned (and sign up to the MSO e-news to be the first to hear about it). I'll also put TLJ in Hamer Hall next time, so that might help highlight the score a little more.

Interesting, never really considered how the venue affects acoustics for certain scores. I thought TFA sounded great at the Palais, far better than the overly bright mix on the soundtrack.

Do certain venues highlight sections of the orchestra better, especially brass-heavy scores like in Star Wars? Did the acoustics of the Planery not highlight the scores for ESB/ROTJ as much as ANH at Hamer Hall? Considering TLJ sounds more like the prequels with its brass fanfares and densely orchestrated action cues (relative to the more 'restrained'  TFA), I imagine this factors into your decision when choosing a venue.

Really cool to hear some insight into the process of arranging these LTP concerts too!

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Considering TLJ sounds more like the prequels with its brass fanfares and densely orchestrated action cues (relative to the more 'restrained'  TFA), I imagine this factors into your decision when choosing a venue.

Yet both were recorded at the exact same venue 

7 hours ago, PoggoAOTS said:

If you have any other questions about how these work behind the scenes I'd be happy to try and answer your questions where I can.

Great, @PoggoAOTS.  In that case, I have a few questions.

1.  Would you know if concert production companies like Film Concerts Live or DisneyConcerts give discounts to orchestras/venues if they book multiple programs from their roster?

2. If so, what would be the minimum amount to get the discount?

On 11/28/2019 at 1:46 AM, SyncMan said:

Great, @PoggoAOTS.  In that case, I have a few questions.

1.  Would you know if concert production companies like Film Concerts Live or DisneyConcerts give discounts to orchestras/venues if they book multiple programs from their roster?

2. If so, what would be the minimum amount to get the discount?

That's strangely specific for this forum :)

Are you a promoter, or do you run an orchestra?

I'm not in the concert business.  I've been going to LTP concerts, within the USA, for over a year.

I'm upset about why no USA orchestras has made any bookings of LTP concerts from Aliens or Independence Day, despite my pleas to the development department of these orchestras in the form of e-mails.  So, this led to my curiosity about the inner working of the business. I might be making this rant too soon, as USA orchestras will start announcing their 2020/21-season schedules in mid-January.

I have worked in book selling for a publishing company and we've given discounts to bookstores when they buy in bulk.  Even as casual consumers, we've learned that when you buy an item in bulk--like toilet paper or canned goods--the price for one item is less.  My thinking is that if, say, DisneyConcerts offers an orchestra/venue a discount for booking multiple programs from their roster, this would be an incentive to book SW:TLJ.  Where I am, in the USA, not many orchestras are doing SW:TFA, let along have booked SW:TLJ (again, USA orchestras start announcing their new season schedules early next year).  These orchestras have either played or will play SW:TFA:

New York Philharmonic (2017)
National Symphony Orchestra of Washington, DC (2019)
New Jersey Symphony (this April)
Indianapolis Symphony (this July)

So, the remaining orchestras in the USA can book SW:TFA and SW:TLJ, and if they have to book a few more programs to get the discount they can select some family-oriented stuff like The Little Mermaid, Coco, or Beauty and the Beast.  If the orchestra/venues are smart, they'll hold-out until DisneyConcerts may announce SW:TROS or, at least, one Indy Jones concert in a few years.

Now all this is just a theory, as I'm not a promoter.

I guess this is just a long-winded way of saying, "...not in the business, just curious."

• 3 weeks later...

As actual physical tickets aren't much of a thing these days, this is what my nieces and nephew will be getting for Christmas from their best uncle.

Tickets-Star-Wars-in-Concert-02.jpg

I've temped up TESB and ROTJ as well in anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SyncMan said:

SW:TLJ in America, baby:

The New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, March 19-21, 2021

https://www.njsymphony.org/events/detail/star-wars-the-last-jedi-in-concert

We go see them all the time. They're a wonderful orchestra and a comfy venue. We're going to Return of the Jedi in a couple weeks with them.