STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

New booking for SW:TLJ

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

May 13th, 14th, and 15th, 2021

Toronto Symphony Orchestra. Steven Reineke, conductor.

https://www.tso.ca/concert/star-wars-last-jedi-concert#performance-2599

On 1/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, SyncMan said:

SW:TLJ in America, baby:

The New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, March 19-21, 2021

https://www.njsymphony.org/events/detail/star-wars-the-last-jedi-in-concert

Those of you who have attended any of the performances of SW:ROTJ this weekend by the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, can now buy single tickets purchases, for March 2021's concert of SW:TLJ.  You have to show proof of purchase for the ROTJ and TFA tickets.

You can also get 20% off the ticket purchases for both SW:TFA and SW:TFA by the NJSO.  Use the promo code ‘JEDI.’ 

I found this out by their promotion being displayed on the theatre screen at the auditorium where the orchestra performs.

During this time of year in the USA, single ticket purchases for a concert season that begins in September usually do not go on sale until the summer.  If you want to buy a seat for your choice show, now, you would have to buy a minimum of four different shows.  That is called buying a ‘Subscription.’

I already really have my choice seat.:mrgreen:

@PoggoAOTS Any update on the MSO finding room in their schedule for The Last Jedi?

And, looking way ahead, any chance of the MSO being the first orchestra to book Rise of Skywalker once it's available? Nicholas Buc got to conduct the world premiere of TLJ in Japan; it would be amazing to see him conduct the world premiere of TROS with the MSO in Melbourne! :lovethis:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, SyncMan said:

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

May 13th, 14th, and 15th, 2021

These engagements are cancelled.  They will be rescheduled sometime in the 2021/22 season.

https://www.tso.ca/covid19

Those dates are being taking-over by SW:TFA, which was rescheduled from this May.

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 9:52 AM, SyncMan said:

And you guys, in England, didn't have to wait 3 months after the last Star Wars concert to find this out...

SW:ROTJ at the RAH, October 23 through 25, 2020

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-in-concert/

...and it's the London Symphony Orchestra.

Priority Booking for Royal Albert Hall Friends & Patrons opens at 10am on October 2nd, 2019

Tickets go on general sale at 10am, Friday, October 4th, 2019

Postponed!

RAH-Jedi.png

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, SyncMan said:

Postponed!

New Date:

Royal Albert Hall - 

Friday, September 23, 2022

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Sunday, September 25, 2022

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2022/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-in-concert/

Bit annoying that they're already selling tickets. I was planning on going on one of the original dates. I'll go to one of these provided that it's possible (one and a half years *should* be enough to get the pandemic under control, but who knows), and that tickets are still readily available when it's clear that it is (not until mid summer-ish at the earliest, I'd expect).

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 4:39 PM, toothless said:

Cancelled.

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/agenda

EMPire.jpg

Both March 3rd and 4th shows.  I checked the orchestra's website last week and it said that the Wednesday show was sold-out, but the Thursday show had seats available.  Why couldn't the orchestra cancel a month ago instead of one week before the show.

Just saw the MSO are restarting live performances here in Melbourne. Fingers crossed they can finally schedule The Last Jedi.

A few Star Wars LTP concerts would provide some much-needed financial support to orchestras who have struggled during the pandemic.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:46 AM, FC4L said:

As actual physical tickets aren't much of a thing these days, this is what my nieces and nephew will be getting for Christmas from their best uncle.

Tickets-Star-Wars-in-Concert-02.jpg

I've temped up TESB and ROTJ as well in anticipation.

It is nice to see some concerts are beginning to be rescheduled. The above performance wasn't finally outright cancelled until November with still no new date in sight.

• 3 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, SyncMan said:

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The TSO has just announced their 2021/22 schedule and SW:TLJ is not on it, as it was last scheduled for March 2022.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just noticed the other day that there's a performance of ROTJ in Nottingham next week. And managed to get perfect seats. 

It's funny that the LSO won't be happening until next September. But I don't mind seeing it twice. :)

Karol

Picture from last night:

20211122_192437.jpg

It was enjoyable but clearly not on the level one experiences in London. The sound effects drowned a lot of the music so it was a bit of a mixed bag. I wonder how the LSO performance will compare? We'll find out in September. 

I still enjoyed it. :)

Karol

Just at the intermission of Jedi in Manchester.

The sounds effects and dialog track is far too loud, I will definitely write a complain to Disney. I could better enjoy the music of this movie from the actual bluray.

And a member of the staff passed on the row in front of me covering the screen twice during the main title, come on!

Never experienced anything like that at the Royal Albert Hall, which I visited several times.

2 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Just at the intermission of Jedi in Manchester.

The sounds effects and dialog track is far too loud, I will definitely write a complain to Disney. I could better enjoy the music of this movie from the actual bluray.

And a member of the staff passed on the row in front of me covering the screen twice during the main title, come on!

Never experienced anything like that at the Royal Albert Hall, which I visited several times.

Just back home now.
From the moment the rebel fleet leaves hyperspace until the end credits is mostly a total sound mixing mess. Into the Trap inaudible. Even Victory Celebration was barely heard. Luckily the end credits didn't have other sound to compete with, and that was the moment when I realized even the music was too loud with some beginning of distortion here and there (yes, it was amplified).
Such a shame as the orchestra itself was quite good, and there was an interesting percussion session to produce the sound of the different Ewok moments.

Looking forward for a much better experience in London.

Oh so my Nottingham experience was better then. Some of the action music during the battle was not terribly audible but that was definitely not the problem with Into the Trap. 

I suppose it has a lot to do with the film mix as well. Many of the older films have that problem. TESB at Royal Albert Hall was among mg my least favourite live experiences. But that has also to do with how unmusically the score is presented in film anyway.

To be perfectly honest, only the original film is suitable for this kind of a concert. The sound effects worked very well with the music to begin with and there's very little editorial interference. 

Karol

• 1 month later...

I saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban live at Royal Albert Hall and it was one of the best LTP concerts I've ever attended!

Hhhmm that's interesting, I'm guessing for you @Jay the film mix of POA didn't overpower the orchestra, whereas for @crocodile and ESB it did? Finding the right balance must be incredibly difficult to get and appears to be hit and miss?

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?

Crocodile was talking about a concert in Nottingham in his post, not a concert in the RAH

For ROTJ, TESB was at RAH - 

On 24/11/2021 at 8:50 AM, crocodile said:

I suppose it has a lot to do with the film mix as well. Many of the older films have that problem. TESB at Royal Albert Hall was among mg my least favourite live experiences. But that has also to do with how unmusically the score is presented in film anyway.

Oh I see

Well I have been to many live to projection concerts in many different concert halls, and every single one has been really enjoyable, and in most of them I could always hear the orchestra very well.  I wouldn't worry about it

The only thing that spoiled ESB at RAH was the same thing that spoiled ANH at RAH and the LSO John Williams (Dirk Brosse) at RAH... 

The snare sounded out of time because it seems to be ricochet-ing off the back wall or the organ, but the reverberation is a lot louder (depending where you are sat) than the initial sound coming from the stage. It really spoiled The Imperial March. 

• 5 months later...

I'm trying/dying to find tickets for royal albert hall return of the jedi, but all they have now are the £251.00 hospitality seats and can't afford it 😪

All the tout/reseller websites are scams right? 

https://www.viagogo.co.uk/Theatre-Tickets/Classical/Star-Wars-in-Concert-Tickets/E-4108331

https://www.hoorahtickets.com/events-tickets-starwars-royal-albert-hall-24oct

Thanks in advance. 

On 24/06/2022 at 7:45 AM, aj_vader said:

I'm trying/dying to find tickets for royal albert hall return of the jedi, but all they have now are the £251.00 hospitality seats and can't afford it 😪

All the tout/reseller websites are scams right? 

https://www.viagogo.co.uk/Theatre-Tickets/Classical/Star-Wars-in-Concert-Tickets/E-4108331

https://www.hoorahtickets.com/events-tickets-starwars-royal-albert-hall-24oct

Thanks in advance. 

There are quite a few tickets in the circle in the range of £50 to £60 for most of the performances.  The Royal Albert Hall does not permit tickets through resale sites (it is in their terms and conditions) so you are taking a risk if you opt for a resale website.

"Tickets sold via third parties and other unauthorised outlets, including online auction sites, are not valid for admission. Reselling a ticket makes it void and the ticketholder may be refused entry."

However, what I would do (and you might consider) is to buy a gallery standing ticket for £25.  That gives you the guarantee of knowing that you are 'in' and will have a perfectly decent view - albeit up in the gods - at worst.  I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire from the gallery and have watched Proms concerts from there too and it is absolutely fine.

You will almost always find that other tickets in the stalls, boxes and arena become available at 'normal prices' within a couple of weeks leading up to the concert, so assuming that happens you just need to hold your nerve, keep checking the website nearer the time and buy a better seated ticket.  That way you have only lost £25 at worst.

50 minutes ago, Omen II said:

There are quite a few tickets in the circle in the range of £50 to £60 for most of the performances.  The Royal Albert Hall does not permit tickets through resale sites (it is in their terms and conditions) so you are taking a risk if you opt for a resale website.

"Tickets sold via third parties and other unauthorised outlets, including online auction sites, are not valid for admission. Reselling a ticket makes it void and the ticketholder may be refused entry."

However, what I would do (and you might consider) is to buy a gallery standing ticket for £25.  That gives you the guarantee of knowing that you are 'in' and will have a perfectly decent view - albeit up in the gods - at worst.  I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire from the gallery and have watched Proms concerts from there too and it is absolutely fine.

You will almost always find that other tickets in the stalls, boxes and arena become available at 'normal prices' within a couple of weeks leading up to the concert, so assuming that happens you just need to hold your nerve, keep checking the website nearer the time and buy a better seated ticket.  That way you have only lost £25 at worst.

Thank you very much for the advice! Much appreciated. 

Just saw ROTJ with the Chicago Symphony tonight, and it rocked. That’s a fabulous score to hear live, even though the synth choir was a Palp-able flaw. The entr’acte seemed a little bit more elaborate than usual, too: a nice ersatz medley of the “Clash of Lightsabers” version of the Imperial March, Yoda’s theme, and (I believe) “Han Solo and the Princess.”

7 hours ago, igger6 said:

Just saw ROTJ with the Chicago Symphony tonight, and it rocked. That’s a fabulous score to hear live, even though the synth choir was a Palp-able flaw. The entr’acte seemed a little bit more elaborate than usual, too: a nice ersatz medley of the “Clash of Lightsabers” version of the Imperial March, Yoda’s theme, and (I believe) “Han Solo and the Princess.”

I think it's the version they used after the interval for the Star Wars in Concert series? 

Minus the Battle of the Heroes ending. 

5 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I think it's the version they used after the interval for the Star Wars in Concert series? 

Minus the Battle of the Heroes ending. 

Yeah, that’s probably it. I wonder how much Williams had to do with those concerts in general. I wasn’t on JWFan enough back then to have followed any discussion of it.

I’m still waiting for the return of those concerts promised in that insert in the TFA CD package!

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

Yeah, that’s probably it. I wonder how much Williams had to do with those concerts in general. I wasn’t on JWFan enough back then to have followed any discussion of it.

I’m still waiting for the return of those concerts promised in that insert in the TFA CD package!

He was very involved in the DVD that came with the ROTS soundtrack, which in turn would become the basis for much of the In Concert version.  

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

He [Williams] was very involved because Dirk Brosse told us at the Royal Albert Hall 2018 Concert the story of John Williams inviting him to conduct the orchestra and Williams chose him. The job was the Star Wars in Concert world tour. 

• 2 months later...

This is probably a long shot, but due to a series of unfortunate events I now have a spare ticket for ROTJ at the Royal Albert on Saturday 24th September at 7:30, if anyone would be interested in buying the ticket please send me a pm.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

My friend and I wondered: what is keeping Williams himself from the Albert Hall / LSO? 

What does this mean?

8 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

Does any know if any of the LSO players that performed on the actual ROTJ scoring sessions back in 1983 are playing with this current LSO, now?

Several of the LSO's longest serving members have retired only within the last couple of years (Colin Renwick, Nigel Broadbent, Lennox MacKenzie, Jenny Brown, etc.) and were around long enough to have played on a 1983 film score.  Double bass player Patrick Laurence has been in the LSO since 1982 and is still going strong, so he might well have played on the original score of Return of the Jedi (I have never seen a roster of the musicians to know for certain).

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

What does this mean?

Why hasn’t Williams conducted the LSO at RAH in recent years, especially after 2018 illness, plus Berlin/Vienna/Milan.  

You’d think it was an obvious fit - just innocently wondering why not (yet?).