Are you unilingual, bilingual or multilingual?

Bespin

Are you unilingual, bilingual or multilingual?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself...

• Unilingual with little or no interest in another language
    • Unilingual with an interest for one or many languages
    • Unilingual, but "functional" in one or more languages
    • Bilingual
    • Multilingual

I speak and Dutch and English quite proficiently. Aside from that I'm reasonably proficient in French (which I've been learning for 8 years now), German (3 years) and Latin (6 years). That's it though. :( 

10 minutes ago, Bartokus Novus said:

Non, Bespin, ce n'est pas assez. Ce n'est que la commande d'environ cinq langues, ça! Une blague intellectuelle, une vraie honte. :( 

« Ce n'est que la commande »? It is only the "order"?

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Parlons anglais, s'il vous plaît. Nous ne sommes pas des sauvages.

Monsieur, taisez-vous!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

parleZ :P

Nope, "aller parler" as a wish/imperative in the first-person plural -> "allons parler".

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Frans is ok, zolang niemand Nederlands spreekt alsjeblieft. Nooit Nederlands.

Je vraagt er om!

8 minutes ago, Bartokus Novus said:

Nope, "aller parler" as a wish/imperative in the first-person plural -> "allons parler".

Je vraagt er om!

I hope sincerely you don't try to teach me how to speak french?

"Allons parler français" is correct, it means litteraly "let's go speak french"

"Allons, parlez français!" is also correct, it means "Com'on, speak french!". It's an order you give. So I think, it was the meaning of your sentence.

I'm very good in french, much more than the average people... I LOVE FRENCH AND I EAT FRENCH CHANSON. :)

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I hope sincerly you don't try to teach me how to speak french?

"Allons parler français" is correct, it means litteraly "let's go speak french"

"Allons, parlez français" is also correct, it means "Com'on, let's speak french".

*I sincerely hope *you're not

If "allons parler" was correct, then why correct it to "allons, parlez"? HUH? ;) 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

¡Este hilo es totalmente ridículo!

I dunno, doesn't seem any more ridiculous than usual.

Anyway, Jason is going to come along at any moment and move it to Other Topics.  At which point it will be dead to me.

I speak Norwegian, Danish and English fluently. I'm good in German (5 years in school), and reasonably good in French (3 years in school). That's it for me -- for now. I'd love to learn Spanish.

My native language is American English, but I have a working knowledge of Spanish from four years in high school that ended 17 years ago. 

17?  Shit, I've been out of high school longer than my age was when I graduated. Now I feel old. 

The important thing is to drink like an Irish!

Having myself some Irish blood... But now, I'm sober since 17 days.... My life is shit!

"Ma vie c'est d'la marde", in good Québécois!

My native language is Dutch. As absolutely no one speaks that one in the world, we're taught lots of languages at school. Technically, my second one is French, though it's really rusty now. Then English, which is my favourite language in the world, wish I could speak it all day long. Then German, though, again, haven't spoken it in years. And then Spanish, which is supposed to be my second native language after my university course in translation, but due to uninspiring professors I completely lost interest and want to forget it asap.

Essentially unilingual (English), but pretty strong in Spanish, which I've been studying at school for 10 years (you may wonder why I'm not proficient after 10 years - 1) because I don't speak it at home and 2) because my elementary school essentially spent ten years on Spanish I, which high school would cover in one year - I'm in Spanish II now as a HS freshman). 

Fluent in English and reasonably proficient in French and Tamil. I've still got a little Spanish on the back burner, but that probably doesn't count.

I'm bilingual (Spanish and English). And have different grade skills in other languages:

Italian: I can read, speak and write, but not enough to consider me bilingual

French: I can read, and undestand, not fluent speaking

German: I can understand what people are saying.... Same with reading, i can get the meaning as a whole but i couldnt translate it. Speaking is well, "Tarzan like" or worse...

For now, the results show what I thinked, this forum is filled with curious and educated people opened on the world, even if they seems to be a little bit kind of braggy. ;)

So I will continue to post Charles Aznavour youtube videos in the Pop/Rock thread.

Thank you.

And the day he dies, I want to see all of you in tears, okay? :P