John Williams Conducts Williams with the Seattle Symphony -- September 27, 2017

Mari

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Lackluster program, but I think we'll be trekking up for this.

I attended one of these concerts in Pittsburgh a couple years back.  It was mostly the standards, but he did include the Cowboys overture and BotFJ.  He speaks a lot at these (compared to other concerts I have attended with him).  That alone makes the concert worth attending, at least for me. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well that looks like a nice blend of usual suspects and a few of his newer works. Also the Close Encounters, TLC Circus Train Chase (hopefully this is conducted to the film as usual) and E.T. Finale are a nice trifecta of lengthy classic crowd pleasing JW pieces. :)

Why "The Circus Train Chase from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Finale from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial"?

Why not call them "Indy's Very First Adventure" and "Adventures on Earth"?

Because John Williams can call them whatever he likes. ;)

The Circus Train Chase might be a bit more descriptive for those not diehard fans of JW.

And I suppose the Finale from E.T. might be the whole 15 minute sequence and not the 9 minute truncated concert suite which is called Adventures on Earth.

An interesting side note from the concert's page.

Sponsors

John Williams Conducts Williams is generously underwritten by an anonymous donor.

Who, oh who this mysterious philanthrope might be?

28 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Because John Williams can call them whatever he likes. ;)

Not even sure if it was JW himself who renamed these pieces, but if it was him, it seems a little... dunno, haphazard? Strangely arbitrary?

These are rather famous movie music pieces, known for decades by their names. Why start changing names now? 

But whatever. It's just something that struck me as a bit odd.

I really don't recall was this piece called Indy's Very First Adventure instead of the Train Chase from TLC in the previous concerts as JW does the music to film demonstration every now and again. Same with E.T.

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

These are rather famous movie music pieces, known for decades by their names. Why start changing names now? 

You can take that up with the concert arrangers.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I really don't recall was this piece called Indy's Very First Adventure instead of the Train Chase from TLC in the previous concerts as JW does the music to film demonstration every now and again. Same with E.T.

You can take that up with the concert arrangers.

I've been to some concerts where it was referred to in be program as Circus Train Chase and others where it was referred to as Indy's First Adventure. I don't have an answer for why one title might be chosen over another but it has never bothered me either way. 🙂

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Why "The Circus Train Chase from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Finale from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial"?

Why not call them "Indy's Very First Adventure" and "Adventures on Earth"?

Because he doesn't conduct all 8 minutes of Indy's Very First Adventure, its just the cue that begins when he comes out of the cave and calls for his horse

• 2 weeks later...

This is an old post and I have heard he has changed his signing habits. As in not a good signer anymore :(. Missed my chance. He is finally doing a concert in Seattle and I am one of the lucky few to have gotten tickets early. A one day only performance with the Seattle symphony. I want his autograph really badly to frame on my wall. Any chance he will sign if I wait outside real early? I wrote him a letter saying I'd gladly pay for 10 second to get his autograph back in March, but haven't heard anything back. 

Thanks,  Greg

2 hours ago, Greg said:

This is an old post and I have heard he has changed his signing habits. As in not a good signer anymore :(. Missed my chance. He is finally doing a concert in Seattle and I am one of the lucky few to have gotten tickets early. A one day only performance with the Seattle symphony. I want his autograph really badly to frame on my wall. Any chance he will sign if I wait outside real early? I wrote him a letter saying I'd gladly pay for 10 second to get his autograph back in March, but haven't heard anything back. 

Thanks,  Greg

Your chance of getting an autograph by JW by waiting outside is maybe one in a million.

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-dumb

I don't know about Seattle, @Greg, but in Boston he used to sign before and after every concert up until a few years ago, but stopped when autograph hounds ruined the experience for everyone.  He probably doesn't sign anywhere any more, would be my guess.

"The Circus Train Chase" should have been recorded for the Spielberg volume III album.  He loves playing it in concert and it would have really livened up that album.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't know about Seattle, @Greg, but in Boston he used to sign before and after every concert up until a few years ago, but stopped when autograph hounds ruined the experience for everyone.  He probably doesn't sign anywhere any more, would be my guess.

When I saw him in 1999 at the premier performance of TPM music, I got him to sign my TPM CD... I hung around and then doubled back to get a second autograph on my Schindler's List CD.  I wasn't trying to be sneaky. I politely asked for a second autograph because I am a big fan and flew in just for the concert.

The only times I attempted to seek out an autograph from him was after the New York concert in 2005, and Boston a few years ago. 

In New York, there was a smallish gathering of us by the rear exit, but he snuck out somewhere else and suddenly people started running over to the parking garage, where he turned up, but he was already inside a car.  Felt bad for him.  People can be nuts about autographs.  He drove by us, I gave him a wave, and he waved back.

In Boston, I didn't get near close enough.  He only gave a couple of quick autographs as he dashed in.

40 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Yo, so I don't know if I can make the concert itself, but if there's any JWFans attending I'd love to see if we could arrange a pre- or post-concert gathering. Maybe we could set up a PM chain if anybody else is interested. :)

I checked everyday for weeks but by the time the tickets came on sale for the public, they were all sold out.  The price was beyond my reach at that point, but still I would love to attend as I'll be in the area at that time.  If a meetup is planned, I'd be curious to meet some of you in person.  I know I'm mostly lurker but I do enjoy most of the banter that goes on around here.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Lewya said:

I just saw this.  Spielberg and Wannberg showed up apprently.

Aw.  The Old Guard!

I don't really know enough about the music editor's job to compare Ken to Ramiro.  I'm sure they're both consummate professionals.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Wow, JW conducted the whole show? It's like he's aging in reverse!

Based on those videos he looks energetic enough to keep conducting concerts for many years to come.

:up: :up: :up: :up: 

Love this Spielberg line!

[Film music] can remain in our memories a lot longer than the films that accompanied that music.  I got a couple of those that Johnny scored where the music is a lot more popular than the movie!

Ha!

Wow! :woop:

I never thought JW would ever again conduct a full concert.

Although, of course, now that I compare it does seem like this concert may have been a little shorter than, say, the Boston ones (which had Lockhart doing the first half). But, still, this appears to be slightly more pieces (14) than Williams has conducted at any recent concert (he usually seems to conduct 12 or so), which can only bode well for the Chicago concerts! (then again, he has to conduct four straight days here, so...)

Will, I was just about to say that you might be witness to Williams conducting his Last Jedi concert arrangements in public for the first time.... but I see he has a Cleveland concert scheduled first.  Last Jedi coming soon!

7 hours ago, Mari said:

So according to the concert programme attached to Eldridge's review the whole Circus Train sequence from TLC was 12 minutes long. So they performed the whole thing from start to finish. Very cool! :)

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

So according to the concert programme attached to Eldridge's review the whole Circus Train sequence from TLC was 12 minutes long. So they performed the whole thing from start to finish. Very cool! :)

Hmmm, I doubt it. I've seen Circus Train Chase performed multiple times and usually the entire sequence is shown without music, then shown again with the music. This is how it is described in the article. The entire exercise of showing it twice takes about 12 minutes, and every time I've witnessed it the music starts when Young Indy leaps out of the cave and not at he actual film's opening. I can't imagine the audience would be made to sit through the same 12-minute sequence twice. That would eat up 24 minutes of the entire concert.