The Kidnapping of Edgarto Mortara

Indianagirl

A new Steven Speilberg film is expected to be released around Christmas season. IMDb lists John Williams as scoring it but they automatically throw his name on every Spielberg film before it's confirmed as in Episode 9 of Star Wars.  Has anyone heard about this. Will Mr. Williams be composing three films this year????

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3675680/?ref_=m_nmfmd_dr_3

40 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Will Mr. Williams be composing three films this year????

Technically he started writing Star Wars: The Last Jedi around September last year. At one stage he was even planning to start Ready Player One last November.

He should be finished on Star Wars by May, leaving him 9 or so months to finish Spielberg's next two films (with a few pickup sessions for The Last Jedi in October). Considering his rapid turnaround on The BFG, that's perfectly achievable.

On February 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM, crumbs said:

Technically he started writing Star Wars: The Last Jedi around September last year. At one stage he was even planning to start Ready Player One last November.

He should be finished on Star Wars by May, leaving him 9 or so months to finish Spielberg's next two films (with a few pickup sessions for The Last Jedi in October). Considering his rapid turnaround on The BFG, that's perfectly achievable.

We're not totally sure he hasn't begun Ready Player One are we? Isn't it possible that he's been doing that concurrently with SW? 

IMDB includes some optimistic titles (such as Indiana Jones 5), but I certainly hope that Williams is on board. I thought "Bridge of Spies" was a fair film, but not having a John Williams score accompany a Spielberg film certainly takes some of the cinematic wind out of my sails. 

For those of you that exclaim "The Color Purple", I reply with a sincere "meh". 

1 hour ago, radioflyer said:

but not having a John Williams score accompany a Spielberg film certainly takes some of the cinematic wind out of my sails. 

Of all Spielberg's films in the last 4 decades, if I had to pick one to miss out on a John Williams score? It's Bridge of Spies.

2 hours ago, radioflyer said:

IMDB includes some optimistic titles (such as Indiana Jones 5), but I certainly hope that Williams is on board. I thought "Bridge of Spies" was a fair film, but not having a John Williams score accompany a Spielberg film certainly takes some of the cinematic wind out of my sails. 

For those of you that exclaim "The Color Purple", I reply with a sincere "meh". 

But Spielberg confirmed that one.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Of all Spielberg's films in the last 4 decades, if I had to pick one to miss out on a John Williams score? It's Bridge of Spies.

I'd much rather have Bridge of Spies than The BFG.

3 hours ago, radioflyer said:

IMDB includes some optimistic titles (such as Indiana Jones 5), but I certainly hope that Williams is on board

50 minutes ago, Once said:

Indeed:

“John Williams will come back and score [the film], absolutely,” the director said at the American Film Institute event honoring Williams with the AFI Life Achievement Award at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9045

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Agreed.

Yeah.  There really wasn't much room for anything other than smalls bits of inspirational Americana and low-key suspense music.  

13 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

We're not totally sure he hasn't begun Ready Player One are we? Isn't it possible that he's been doing that concurrently with SW? 

I feel like we would have heard something about it though. Unless he wrote some music for RP1 and shelved it for later to write and record music for VIII.

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Yeah.  There really wasn't much room for anything other than smalls bits of inspirational Americana and low-key suspense music.  

That 10-minute cue for the bridge scene could have been something really cool, though. 

Thomas Newman did a terrific job, anyway, that's for sure. Probably not as well as Williams would have done, but then who can match that? 

9 hours ago, Once said:

I'd much rather have Bridge of Spies than The BFG.

I just have my doubts that a fifth Indiana Jones will actually be made.....and more importantly SHOULD it be made? Harrison Ford will be 77 in 2019, and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" certainly doesn't have me clamoring for another installment. 

Hopefully clearer heads will prevail. 

2 hours ago, radioflyer said:

I just have my doubts that a fifth Indiana Jones will actually be made.....and more importantly SHOULD it be made? Harrison Ford will be 77 in 2019, and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" certainly doesn't have me clamoring for another installment. 

Hopefully clearer heads will prevail. 

It's Disney. It will be made. ;)

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Spielberg said he'd never do an Indiana Jones film without Ford, Williams and Kahn, IIRC.

In fairness, he also said he'd never do one without Lucas.

Also I personally was unimpressed by Newman's Bridge of Spies (though I guess I'm not a big Newman fan in general).

44 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

In fairness, he also said he'd never do one without Lucas.

Uh... ;)

http://www.thebeardedtrio.com/2016/06/steven-spielberg-on-indy-v-george-is.html

At a press gathering to promote Steven Spielberg's The BFG, the director was asked about Indiana Jones 5 and if George Lucas would have any involvement in the project.  Spielberg replied:

"George is gonna to be an executive producer on it with me. ... I would never make an Indiana Jones film without George Lucas. That'd be insane."

Although his level of involvement, or even if he's still involved at all, does seem in question, given these more recent Koepp comments - http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-indiana-jones-5-involvement/ (from October 2016 vs. the Spielberg comments being from June 2016)

Spielberg subsequently said Lucas would serve as an executive producer on the film, but in speaking with Koepp, the screenwriter revealed that Lucas is not involved in the story of Indiana Jones 5:

“He’s not, to my knowledge. I’ve had no contact with him.”

Koepp declined to reveal the origin of this particular story idea, only saying that it was hatched by he and Spielberg.