Disney Records released THE FORCE AWAKENS on Blu-spec CD2

The Dark Trilogy

I'm impressed there is not a thread for this. I bought the Force Awakens on Blu-spec a while ago. It was released in the end of November 2016.The sound of this CD is amazing. I really love the Bluspec format, especially for the new generation Blu-spec CD2. It sounds uplifting, more dynamic, more clear instruments, natural... Like a 2-channel SACD.

The artwork for this new release of Force Awakens is the best of all. It comes with a plastic jewel case and is housed in a cardboard sleeve. The sleeve itself has the same cover from the target version and is glossy. The standard jewel case is the same you know from the european release. "The Force Awakens" is printed in japanese. I was very satisfied when I saw the back cover. It contains the track list missing from other releases!

Same goes with the sound of the other six Star Wars scores on this format. I recommend this too. It really sounds better than the 1997 and 2004 counterpart. A really new experience if you ask me. I know, you will say Disney will release new remastered Star Wars scores, but I am not convinced about this and supposed to be only a rumor on this board.

Here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/Star-Wars-Soundtrack-Blu-Spec-Cd2/dp/B01LXB4G20/

Looking forward to buy the Blu-spec's for Episode 8 and 9, if they will be released...

Any audio format which more closely represents the recording environment seems like a good thing to me.

The music itself is mixed into the film using a surround sound master. They aren't using a stereo music track in a Dolby Atmos mix.

SACD, K2 HD CD and now Blu-Spec CD2... These are marketing gimmicks for audiophiles.

It's like quadraphonic sound in the 70's, these formats are condemned to be commercial failures from the start.

And we are not in Japan here.

Sorry, I pass.

9 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Are you sure the sound quality on the other six has been improved?

Episode 1 till 3 has the improved sound quality you know from the 2016 Star Wars box, but without that damn paper digipack which I absolutely hate. There are released seperately and all in plastic jewel cases. Onother bonus is that Episode 2 has the bonus track "On the Conveyor Belt" and is listed on the back cover.

The original trilogy as I said before sounds more clear. I can hear instruments more detailed. It feels more lifting.

Sure, if you expect a quantum jump, you will be disappointed. It's more an upgrade than a new remastering. It is the master from 1997. It's like a computer game with a HD pack. The source code is the same but you see the HD textures.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

SACD, K2 HD CD, Blu-Spec CD2... These are marketing gimmicks for audiophiles.

And we are not in Japan here.

I say no.

First, I come from Germany not from Japan. I can hear differences from those releases.

Second, we are not Japan, yes. But we are not in Canada, like you. We are in international forum, where different countries get together with the same interest.

As an experienced audiophile, I listen only on headphones. Of course if you listen while you driving car, while you cook or listen to iPod, e.g. you will not hear any differences.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sure, there are people whose won't hear any differences. My cousin can't hear a difference in sound quality from a 100 euros stereo system vs. 10000 euros stereo system. For him, it sounds the same.

You can also find many pro arguments from the internet as well as contra arguments for the Blu-spec's. You only see what you want to see.

Exactly.

But there are people on one side who will always listen to the music, and other people on the other side that will always listen to the sound.

I feel deeply sorry for the second category of people!

9 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

I have 2.0 ears.

You can't hear if something is in front of or behind you? Don't you have auricles?

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Any audio format which more closely represents the recording environment seems like a good thing to me.

The music itself is mixed into the film using a surround sound master. They aren't using a stereo music track in a Dolby Atmos mix.

Are they actually using a surround representation of the recording setup for the film mixes? I'm under the impression that they just spread the music into the surround tracks, but without specifically creating a different mix for the rear channels.

1 hour ago, ckappes said:

It is the master from 1997. It's like a computer game with a HD pack. The source code is the same but you see the HD textures.

So by that analogy, it's the exact same composition, but a brand new recording (though with the interpretation being very close to the original)? ;)

(Actually, it would be a rather good analogy for Tadlow's Conan the Barbarian)

The surround sound... another gimmick.... I don't want to hear a concert, like if I am IN the concert, between the instruments.

I don't want to hear a movie, like I am IN the movie.

The image is always in front on me, the orchestra is always in front of me... stop sending sounds from behind... It's not logic... com'on...

I've disconnected my surround speakers on my sound system and setted on the stereo mode.

Stereo forever! :rock:

3 hours ago, ckappes said:

The original trilogy as I said before sounds more clear. I can hear instruments more detailed. It feels more lifting.

Sure, if you expect a quantum jump, you will be disappointed. It's more an upgrade than a new remastering. It is the master from 1997. It's like a computer game with a HD pack. The source code is the same but you see the HD textures.

Yeah, sorry, but the format doesn't mean a damn thing if it's the same master. It would sound exactly the same and the only differences in quality or "texture" would be imagined on your end.

Also, while I'm mostly content with stereo, I have to ask, why the fuck is everyone talking like it's superior to surround in some way? That makes absolutely no sense. Is stereo good enough? Sure. But better? Two ears, two channels? Really??

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

The surround sound... another gimmick.... I don't want to hear a concert, like if I am IN the concert, between the instruments.

I don't want to hear a movie, like I am IN the movie.

The image is always in front on me, the orchestra is always in front of me... stop sending sounds from behind... It's not logic... com'on...

A common misconception.

In a film, the image is always in front of you, but nothing you hear happens in the image - some stuff happens offscreen.

Also, a concert isn't stereo. Concert halls are deliberately constructed to have certain reverb properties, and the better one are famous for their individual reverb profiles. That includes sound spread across the room.

I'm not saying that surround sound is necessarily better for music - I'm generally happy with stereo myself. But many logical arguments for why stereo is supposedly more realistic are essentially unrealistic.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I've disconnected my surround speakers on my sound system and setted on the stereo mode.

Stereo forever! :rock:

Pure stereo? Not even a centre speaker? In my experience, it generally helps a lot to make the dialogue clearer.

The improvement in sound for TFA can't be that significant. I probably wouldn't even notice. There's just no way to improve on a flawless presentation of a flawless recording.